R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Bolt on 2" receiver - Event Date: 18 Feb 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Tobinism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Bolt on 2" receiver
    Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 4:55pm
Hello! I will be picking up my R-pod 179 From the dealership in a few weeks and I am looking at adding a 2" receiver to the rear of the pod in order fit a bike rack that can support 4 bikes.

Weight break down:
Bike rack-52lbs
Bikes- 27-36 lbs each

Maximum weight would be just shy 200lbs if all bikes were 36lbs

The receiver would be bolted directly to the frame. The model I'm looking at supports a 500lb toungue weight. http://www.canadianhitches.ca/curt-rv-receiver-hitch-13702/

Has anybody else utilized a bolt on 2" receiver system?

I plan on using a hitch tightener system in order to eliminate any slopping and flopping and also balancing out my cargo to maintain a proper toungue weight

mjlrpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 5:11pm
I would wait till you get some feedback here before doing that. My understanding is that it will not support much weight in the back. I believe you would have to have some extra support welded on. Forest river says dont even use any bike carrier except theirs, and IT only carries 2 bikes.

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
Tobinism View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tobinism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 5:36pm
Absolutely. I could also add in extra reinforment. But I just think if they say it's okay for 150lbs in the stock receiver. Then bolting a 2" receiver to the frame (not using the 1 1/4") will have no problem supporting the weight.
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tars Tarkas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 5:20pm
Forest River won't like it.  It will almost certainly void your warranty.  There is probably a way to reinforce the frame so you'll never have any trouble but with a new RPod you might want to talk directly to Forest River before you go too far.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 8:22pm
Since it's only 2 bikes.. why not use the FR approved 2 bike carrier and avoid finding out about cancelled warranties..
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote Leo B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 8:30pm
Good advice!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Tobinism View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tobinism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 8:41pm
Sorry, still 4 bikes on the back ranging in weights from 27-36lbs.
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ToolmanJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 7:34pm
 You will need to have a welder make a much more robust attachment for a 2 inch receiver. 

The standard cross member at the rear of the frame is not extraordinarily strong. I would recommend 2 new larger cross members and a long square piece of 2 inch receiver tube welded to both. And it should be gusseted at the rearmost cross member for additional strength . 

If you decide to do it, go for overkill and make it strong. You don't want to lose the bikes, and you do not want to be responsible for a crash either if the carrier came of due to poor welds or design.

My solution for a 2 bike carrier was to buy a 1upUSA adaptable bike carrier. I can use it in the standard 1-1/4" receiver. I installed to D-Ring tie downs next to the rear window on each side. I made sure the carriage bolts penetrating through the fiberglass and wall are watertight and use large fender washers to distribute the load. I use the D-rings to run a strap around the bike frame closest to the R-Pod, and cinch it a bit so the bike rack cannot bounce. The receiver takes all the weight and the strap just prevents it from bouncing. No worries about the weld breaking. I inspect on each Journey. 4 years on and no issues.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
Tobinism View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tobinism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 8:18pm
Well I finished the hitch install. After removing the stock receiver I wouldn't trust it even with just the spare tire back there. New hitch is bolted to the frame with 5- 1/2" bolts on each side. It is very robust added approx 50 lbs to the overall weight with the upgrade. I can't figure out how to attach pictures to this on my phone but I can attach some later for whoever is interested.
voisj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote voisj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 10:46am
Tobinism,
I would like to see Pictures, Like toolmanJohn said, The rear main cross member is so small and thin. And just welded on the ends, How did you beef it up? Not that I would Hang a ton of weight off the back, But they hung the spare there so it can't be to bad.
rgds John
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>