R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBroken fridge in 179

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Broken fridge in 179
    Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 11:01am
I posted a while back about my Dometic RM8501 fridge in my 179 not working. So here's an update. Took it into the local dealer on 14 Decembef and they said it needs a whole new cooling unit - total cost $1100 or a new fridge (it is only about two years old??) for about $1700. So I chose to repair it. Here it is two months later and Dometic has still not been able to supply a new cooling unit. Apparently it is being handmade in China and won't be available for another month???? So, here's my dilemma - do I give up and buy a new fridge? And if I do, is there an alternative to Dometic - I surely don't want to buy from a company that has zero ability to supply parts. So far we have had out R-pod for nearly 6 months and have used it for 2 whole days - and that was without an operating fridge. So if anybody has any advice about this particular problem or about non Dometic option I would appreciate it.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 11:54am
I am assuming the dealer's prices include labor for removal of the old refrigerator and installation of the new one if you go that route. Check out Dyers Online for a Norcold unit which might work. I don't know how much your dealer would charge to install this unit if you ordered it or if it would fit without changing the opening. However, the price is much lower than what you quoted above.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
osage View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 12:17pm
check with PPL in Texas they may have a better price. Should be able to install your self  not hard to put in
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 4:04pm
Do an online search for Amish Refrigerator or Dutch Aire. These are American built cooling units. Norcold or Dometic will tell you nothing about them. They deny their existence. They come with their own 3 year warranty I believe and RV dealers use them. Makes no sense you are waiting for something from China. Go on eBAY and search for your fridge model and you'll see sales for Amish Refrigerator cooling units with RV dealers that will help you if you call or email them. I can't explain what your dealer is doing. I know there is an RV dealer in Memphis that uses them. They advertise sending you a replacement unit and giving you a turn in credit after you have replaced yours. Price is around $500 before rebate.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 4:15pm
Here's another source rvcoolingunit.com, they offer new and rebuilt Dometic and Norcold cooling units, Amish Refrigeration built.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Podinaroundbc View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 7:39pm
Good information.
Art & Brenda

Jake the dog

2015 179 HRE

2012 Nissan Titan

Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 5:48am
I would press Dometic to supply a new fridge at the cost of the part they can't provide. 
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 8:36am
I was looking at refrigerators which use an energy efficient compressor which could be used in place of the absorption refrigerator units. They are mainly used on boats where an absorption refrigerator can't work because it wouldn't always be level (think sailboats heeled over from the wind). They can be up to 30 degrees out of level and still work. The down side is that they do require sufficient battery capacity and a means to charge to operate. This blog post discusses the benefits and downsides to this type of refrigerator.The absorption units running on propane are much better suited for boondocking.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
densmorema View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 9:21am
How old is your Pod? and did u get another Opinion? There r some unscrupulous dealers out there.
Mike and Cherie
Michigan
2015 R179 2016 silverado
Carolavan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 9:32am
Thanks for your feedback Stephen. I think I will look at a compressor fridge. How does not being level affect an absorption fridge when on the road?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>