R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

How do you screw stuff into the walls?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote laureyrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do you screw stuff into the walls?
    Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 7:36pm
I have a 182g which I love, and am dying to do some modifications. However, I am fearful of drilling holes into the rpod walls (interior). I see mods showing shelves which I want to do, but no one ever says how they actually affix the brackets to the walls. I have learned that you can search for the studs, so affixing things to the studs would be easiest. But what about when you aren't over a stud? Molly bolts? Any tips for brands or installation instructions? I'm handy but not overly so. Please be specific--tools needed, drilling?, brand or size of bolts....

Thanks in advance!
Peace in the Pod
(Laurey, Bella, and Bogie)
Laurey, Bella and Bogie
2016 182g Rpod
2016 Toyota Highlander
"Peace in a Pod"
coopercdrkey View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote coopercdrkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 6:06am
I have had some success using the spiral sheet rock anchors in areas where no stud or metal framing was available.

These anchors have a pointed end designed to bore the correct size hole in sheetrock.  I cut off the pointed end and pre-drill the hole.  That reduces the length of penetration required.  It also results in a "clean" hole that can be easily plugged if you decide to move or eliminate the bracket, etc.

Bob and Joyce
Jennifer and Baxter, the Campin' Cocker Spaniels
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT / Z71
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 2:45pm
Crown Bolt Hollow Wall Anchors #6-32x1" (UPC: 0 30699 00469 0) works on wall thickness of 1/8" to 1/4" and since they are shorter than the thickness of the R-Pod wall, there is no danger of going through. Look for them at Home Depot.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Podinaroundbc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Podinaroundbc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 4:11pm
We have put screws in our walls without searching for studs but we also don't hang anything heavy. We use small #6 wood screws. After 2 years everything is still attached.
Art & Brenda

Jake the dog

2015 179 HRE

2012 Nissan Titan

mjlrpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by StephenH

Crown Bolt Hollow Wall Anchors #6-32x1" (UPC: 0 30699 00469 0) works on wall thickness of 1/8" to 1/4" and since they are shorter than the thickness of the R-Pod wall, there is no danger of going through. Look for them at Home Depot.

So these definitely will only go thru the wall board stephen? no chance of popping thru outside wall?

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
mcarter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 6:10pm
I have a piece of wall that I removed in the door to install a window. The walls are NOT hollow like what you expect in your house when you put a dry wall anchor thru the drywall. There is a condensed foam insulation between the inside and outside wall(s). I want to try different anchors and see how they expand in that condensed foam. I can use that piece I cut from the door. There is about an inch and a half between inside and out side walls. You have to be careful when drilling from either side not to go thru the other side. You just want to pierce the interior wall. Same with hanging something on the outside, I have solar security lights motion lights I mounted. I use an old trick, when drilling anchor holes. I wrap electrical tape around the bit about a half inch from the tip, that stops the bit from going in more than about a half an inch. I'm using the bit that comes with the anchor set, I believe it is a 1/4 bit for a number 8 anchor. I have not used the anchors that Stephen suggests but I will test them now to see how they anchor in the condensed foam. I have used Crown Bolt anchors for many applications. Very secure. I don't use the walls in the RPod to hold anything of weight. Light bearing shelves are ok, but if I want to hang clothes for an example I use a closet rod above the window shade boxes so everything is load bearing. Then I attach the shelves to the closet rod so there is an assist to the shelf, if that makes sense. You do need a stud locator that warns of metal studs, if you do or don't want to use the existing studs. I haven't found any application where I could use the existing studs, different for everybody.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
laureyrpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote laureyrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 7:01pm
thanks, Cooper, I will give those a try. I tried several types of hollow wall bolts to no avail...they would not stay put. they wobbled then fell backward into the wall. I bought a special tool online (had to be shipped from the UK thru Amazon) and it was supposed to make installing hollow wall bolts a cinch. No luck. 

Given the number of mods I see in this forum, I'm sure that there's a way to screw things into the walls!

L.

Laurey, Bella and Bogie
2016 182g Rpod
2016 Toyota Highlander
"Peace in a Pod"
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 7:43pm
Given that the walls are 1-1/2" thick, a 1" anchor will definitely NOT go through the outside. Don't make the mistake of getting the Short Hollow Wall Drive Anchors (with the pointed end). They will definitely go through the outside wall (speaking from experience Thumbs Down ). Just be careful to only drill through the inside wall as described by Mike Carter. His idea to put a piece of tape on the drill bit is a good one.

Don't bother trying the "Toggler" anchors that look like wings. The foam makes it almost impossible to push the wings into position, which means that they can't perform adequately.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
marwayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote marwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 10:29pm
The door is 1 1/2" and the walls are 1 5/16" thick
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 8:45am
Again, thanks for the correction. I was assuming that the door and walls were the same thickness. Still, a 1-5/16" wall should be in no danger from a 1" fastener. 
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>