R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

How do you screw stuff into the walls?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
lostagain View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do you screw stuff into the walls?
    Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 7:08pm
If you use expanding screws, keep in mind that once they're there, they are there for ever.  You can't remove them without really damaging the wall.  Using coarse thread screws leaves a small hole that's easy to fill.  If you use the 3M 2-side sticky tape, you risk pulling off the vinyl wall paper, but with care, a razor and some solvent, you can usually get it off without hurting anything.  You have to cut the tape through the foam part between the two sticky sides very carefully, then the solvent will weaken the glue bond enough to take it off without hurting the vinyl.  Be sure to use a solvent that doesn't dissolve the vinyl, as would acetone, for example.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
marwayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote marwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 1:59pm
I use coarse thread drywall screws. It takes about 37.5 pounds of strait pull to start the screw from coming out.

If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

TheBum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote TheBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 10:55am
Yeah, I'd lean toward molly bolts for insulated walls because they'd likely provide enough force to expand into the foam. The trick is finding ones short enough. The shortest I can get locally is 1-1/4"; the shortest one in StephenH's link (22mm) would probably work.

Is the inside paneling of the exterior wall directly against the foam or is there something in between?
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 9:42am
https://amazon.com/Excellent-Hollow-Anchor-Multiple-Assortment/dp/B07FX541J8/

The short ones of these should do the trick. While you can use a screwdriver to expand it, there is a tool that would make it much easier.

I did not have the tool when I used the ones I found at Home Depot. Since then, HD seems to have stopped carrying the shorter ones. Don't use the longer ones. I found out the hard way about ones over an inch long. Expanding a small one and then using a washer if needed along with the screw should hold almost any thing very securely to the wall of the RPod, even if it does not go through a frame member.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 6:02am
+1 to lostagain. That fastener is meant to drill through drywall so you can cut off the tip and predrill through the plywood. Keep the total length to 1 inch or less so you don't hit the outer wall. Longer wouldn't make it stronger anyway since the fastener threads are only engaging with the thin plywood, screwing deeper into the foam does nothing. Start with a small pilot hole so if by some miracle you happen to hit one of the few aluminum square tubes that constitute the rpod wall frame you can use a self tapping screw into that. Wrap a piece of tape 3/4 inch from the drill tip so you don't accidentally drill through the outer wall.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 11:28am
You may have some problem getting them to expand in the styrofoam inside the walls.  You may want to try something more like this:  https://www.amazon.com/Drilling-Drywall-Plastic-Anchors-Screws/dp/B01FCZ8I3I/ref=asc_df_B01FCZ8I3I/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198102547837&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2346488870170862881&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9030846&hvtargid=pla-391993753802&psc=1

But, be careful to get them short enough that they don't go all the way through the foam.  I don't recall how thick the wall are, but it is somewhere in the neighborhood of 1 1/4".  

We always use coarse threaded screws with a little 3M foam double sided heavy duty foam tape.  Never had a problem with it coming loose.  The screw compresses the double side tape and creates a very strong bond.  Keep in mind the vinyl clad plywood is only about 3/16" thick so you have to be careful how much weight is on each fastener.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
TheBum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote TheBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 10:47am
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
Jess_n_WA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jess_n_WA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 6:10pm
Just wanted to add that one can find the hollow wall screws and anchors here:

https://www.boltdepot.com/Hollow_wall_anchors_Zinc_plated_steel.aspx

I figure I should share this link with others.  About me: an owner of a 2018 Rpod 176, Hood River edition.  Thank you!
Newbie, looking to learn more.
rawest50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rawest50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 11:56am
Lots of good info given. Makes me feel better about mounting something light to the walls.

Thanks
2017.5 RPod 179
2017 Jeep Unlimited Wrangler
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Off Road Crew Cab
2 Weiner dogs
Great wife puts up with my BS
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
TheBum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote TheBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 11:06am
Originally posted by henryv

Don't believe I'll be screwing ANYTHING into my beautiful new walls. Not even art..and I'm an artist. I think the interior itself is a work of art. If anything, I'll use velcro (with sticky on one side). Just my humble opinion, but I like the minimalist look. (Sorry for the redundancy!)

Good luck getting that Velcro off the wall without taking the finish with it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>