Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just got a pod
    Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 9:04pm
Hi Everyone,  

My wife and I picked up our new Rpod 179 two weeks ago and are getting busy loading it up with our camping gear.  I will be towing our pod with my 2014 Ram 1500 pickup.  I have been reading the posts on this forum and was wondering if anyone else has the same trailer/tow vehicle setup I would be interested in finding out what they have done with their hitch and sway control.   Anyway looking forward to getting to know all of you and joining in on the board.
birderdiane526 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 9:20pm
Welcome and congratulations on your new POD! Wishing you much enjoyment!
Diane and Michael
2016 179 "PIP" (PODDING IN PARADISE)
2007 Toyota Tundra
BLOG:Podding in Paradise,
birderdiane526.blogspot.com
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 9:51pm
Welcome to the group!! Congrats on your 179!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 8:36am
Welcome and congratulations! I hope you have many years of enjoyment from and make many great memories with your 179.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 9:06am
Welcome Wepod

Good times ahead for you!  I have a 2015 Tundra 4x4  with a 5.7ltr v8 and a 182g. My trailer is a bit heavier than the 179.  I do not have any sway control or load balancing at all.  Under normal conditions, it is not apparent that the trailer is even there.  But headwinds will slow you down some.  as far as hitches, hook it up to the ball and go.  Holler if you have any other questions!Smile
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 10:39am
My Ram 1500 is an 07 so it has leaf springs in the back.  I use a friction sway control which works pretty well.  I am considering a WD hitch because of the bouncing with bumps in the pavement.  I got new shocks and need new tires so we will see if that helps.  Use the Tow-haul gearing.  Don't pass a gas station.
Hi-Line View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 1:07pm
I have an r.pod 179 that I tow with my 2016 Toyota Tundra 4WD, 5.7L V8 engine. Like TexMan, I just hitch up and go with no special hitch or sway bar. I've towed about 7,000 miles so far with no issues...I know others on this site feel strongly about weight distribution hitch, so it's always possible something will happen to change my mind. My impression so far is that a half-ton pickup truck with big engine tows the r.pod 179 easily...gas mileage not great, about what others get, 10-12 mpg depending on wind conditions. I have buddy with a 2015 Ram 1500 and he has no problems pulling his trailer (not an r.pod), I think a bit heavier than mine...he doesn't use a special hitch either.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 1:52pm
With that truck, WD is your decision. However, I think you are being a bit short-sighted when it comes to sway control. It is something you don't need--until you do. Don't think that just because you have a full-size pickup and the R-Pod 179 tows well that you won't encounter a situation where it might make the difference between something scary and something deadly.

Sometimes, even WD with sway control won't be enough. I found that out this winter when I hit a combination of ice and a crosswind gusting to 40 mph. I just added a Hayes Sway-Master Electronic Sway Control to help with those situations. It is expensive, but much less expensive than what I am out of pocket so far from our accident.

The old proverb: "Better safe than sorry," seems to apply here.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Wepod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 5:19pm
Thanks for the reply's.  The dealer was just hitch up and go with the full size truck.  I do think I will look into a friction type sway control they are not too expensive I am not to keen on drilling the trailer frame though.  Are there any kinds that are bolt on with no drilling?

Stephen,  are you the guy that jackknifed on I 80 near Green River Wy.   I traveled that stretch of road in November and encountered the same conditions you did jackknifed rigs all over the place.  Finally got off the interstate and traveled back roads to Green River and waited for things to warm up enough for the salt to work.   Funny thing is got about 20mi East of there and the road improved about 200% I think that county must not believe in clearing the roads. 
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by Wepod

Thanks for the reply's.  The dealer was just hitch up and go with the full size truck.  I do think I will look into a friction type sway control they are not too expensive I am not to keen on drilling the trailer frame though.  Are there any kinds that are bolt on with no drilling?

Stephen,  are you the guy that jackknifed on I 80 near Green River Wy.   I traveled that stretch of road in November and encountered the same conditions you did jackknifed rigs all over the place.  Finally got off the interstate and traveled back roads to Green River and waited for things to warm up enough for the salt to work.   Funny thing is got about 20mi East of there and the road improved about 200% I think that county must not believe in clearing the roads. 

I don't know the answer to no-drill sway control. Even the Hayes Sway-Master Electronic Sway Control I just installed (and will move if and when we need to get a new trailer) requires drilling holes to keep it in place. The only kind I know of would be something like the E2 or Equal-i-zer WD hitch with sway control.

Yes, I am that guy. I was told that Wyoming sands, but does not salt the roads. With what I saw, I can believe it. That stretch between Green River and the Utah border can be rough as we found out. We started out from Rock Springs, the roads were clear. Even though Green River and past Little America, they stayed clear. It was shortly after that that they started to show evidence of not being fully clear. However, it was 30 miles west of Green River where we hit the ice.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>