R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTire Balance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tire Balance
    Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 6:50pm
When I changed from the C rated to D rated tires I noticed my tires from FR were not balanced. I had the tire shop balance my tires at replacement. The tire shop said it is not unusual to NOT balance trailer tires. I didn't agree. Have any of you looked at your tires to see if they have weights? Am I in left field? I've noticed lately tires have balance issues. Seems lately I will get tires that require some extensive weights to balance. I don't buy cheap tires and I buy a lot of tires for my fleet of vehicles. I don't remember having to balance tires so much in past. Appreciate your input.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 7:21pm
Where did you get that done? I got my Carlisle LR-D tires at Discount Tire. They were balanced. I know because I watched them do it. I took one wheel in at a time as I did not want to tow the R-Pod to the Discount Tire location.

That being said, it does seem like tire manufacturers are making them so that they require more to balance than I remember from when I was much younger. One would think that with all the automation, tires would be manufactured to tighter specifications. Apparently, not.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 7:35pm
I replaced our 5 year old tires on our 177 last spring.  Those were balanced.  I also went to Discount Tire to have them mount my new C rated tires, and they balanced those as well.  No problems here, maybe that depends on the selling dealer.  Am not aware if FR balances them or not from the factory.  Maybe those in higher places can let us know if that is the case.  If not, hats off to Hilltop RV in Escanaba, Michigan for a balance and prep job done extremely well.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 7:53pm
FR buys them mounted, by the truck load. They are not balanced by FR or the mounting contractor. It is "normal" for whatever reason, to not balance trailer tires. I had our new tires balanced.
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 2:32pm
I read as much as I could on Interweb today, general consensus is the manufacturers do NOT balance TT tires, however it is recommended you do balance the tires. Some folks have gone as far to measure difference in road issues and data suggests balanced tires make a difference. I for one will balance, I think if it rotates it should be balanced. Technology may have made strides in tread patterns, but my experience is there are some tires out there that require significant weight to balance. Thanks all.
Mike Carter
2015 178
Irish Tom View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 5:54pm
Mike:

I too have a 2015 178 that came with Constancy LY188 ST205/75R14 "C" rated tires.
Have less than 5000 miles and they still look brand new.
Manufacture date was 2014.
Should I be worried?
Will all the threads on tires, just do not know if I should change them.
Have looked at Carlise ST205/75R14 which are "D" rated.

Thanks for your input.

Irish Tom
2015 178
2014 Ford Explorer

mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 7:06pm
Irish, Nope just be into some facts. They are rated at 55 MPH, they can fail if you exceed that speed over long periods of time. Personally I would upgrade to Ds when you are ready, they are rated at 65 MPH and a bit more heat resistant. The issue that caused me to change mine, was when they fail they take the fender with them in some cases. Your use and speed will determine how you want to proceed, I spend a lot of time on interstates at 63 MPH, that is where I feel comfortable. Many options out there, I went with Carlisle's. Happy trails.
Mike Carter
2015 178
Subzilla View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2017 at 8:03am
The new Carlisle Trail HD's are rated for 81 mph....not that I would drive that fast while Podding.  But I plan to upgrade to these D rated tires as soon as I get a chance.  $150ish is a small price to pay for less blowout potential.  
Mark
Concord, NC
2017 RP 179 "Podzilla"
2011 Silverado 1500 4X4
 Post Reply Post Reply