R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedgrand caravan - Event Date: 06 Feb 2017 - 02 Dec 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: grand caravan
    Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 7:32am
does anybody have experience pulling an rpod witha grand caravan?
Is the tongue weight of the rpod ok?
Will it pull the rpod ok thru the rocky mountains?
Is a anti-sway device needed?
Is a weight distribution device needed?
Will it perform ok at interstate speeds 60 -70 mph (not in the mountains?)
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 7:39am
Because I don't want to get any demerits, let me ask a couple questions..

Does the GC have the factory tow package?

Have you read what your owners manual says about towing?

As with most vehicles, there are many packages and options that effect the answer to your questions. Especially when choosing a vehicle that may be marginal for towing in the first place. 
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 7:47am
Hi, We tow our 179 with our 2013 Grand Caravan. It has the pentastar v6 that puts out 283 horsepower.
We have towed our 179 up and down the east coast from Vermont to the Florida Keys. Our van handles the tough weight with no problems, we have plenty of power to ride the interstate 60-70 mph is no problem. We have driven thru the Green Mountain of Vermont, White Mountains of New Hampshire and the Pocono's in PA. We have driven over the rockies, without our pod. It is quite a bit bigger than our Mountain on the east coast. We have a Reese Hitch, no sway control or Weight distribution equipment.
Good Luck!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
malkbean2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 8:42am
thank you so much for your very reassuring response !!
Is it necessary to add after market cooling to the engine or trans or reinforced suspension?
(I did not purchase a tow package from the dealer which appears to consist of only the hitch assembly, lighting and trailer brake equipment.  Installed after market hitch instead. The dealer says the Caravans come with extra trans and engine cooling as standard equipment.)

I plan to purchase a 177 at Couches in Indiana. Do you know if this is a good dealer?

Do you know if there is a good time of the year to purchase when prices trend lower?

2016 Grand Caravan 283 hp

malkbean2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 8:52am
No it does not have a factory tow package. I installed after market hitch,lighting and brake controller. Dealer says heavy duty cooling for engine and trans come as standard equipment on 2016 Grand Caravan.

Towing capacity is 3600lb per manual or 3800 lb per dealer mechanic so there is roughly about 1000lb  of additional weight that can be added to the towing rig.

I'm not too concerned about basic towing but I am concerned about towing at 65 - 75 mph or thru the rocky mountains and also the tongue weight. And also the frontal area wind resistance stress on the engine and trans.
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 8:54am
I purchased both our rpod's locally just for the convenience of warranty work, parts etc. I have heard that Couches prices are really good. we have not done any suspension reinforcement or anything like that. We got our hitch and wiring done by a local company which ended up being about $150.00 cheaper than the dealership.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
malkbean2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 9:00am
thank you so much Leo B.
Tho we have never met I trust your input way more than anything I get from the car and camper dealers.
I  very much appreciate your input. Happy camping to you.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 9:12am
Originally posted by malkbean2

thank you so much for your very reassuring response !!
Is it necessary to add after market cooling to the engine or trans or reinforced suspension?
(I did not purchase a tow package from the dealer which appears to consist of only the hitch assembly, lighting and trailer brake equipment.  Installed after market hitch instead. The dealer says the Caravans come with extra trans and engine cooling as standard equipment.)

I plan to purchase a 177 at Couches in Indiana. Do you know if this is a good dealer?

Do you know if there is a good time of the year to purchase when prices trend lower?

2016 Grand Caravan 283 hp

A "factory tow package" is different from "dealer supplied towing equipment".. good choice to buy aftermarket, I am sure it's less expensive for the same gear. If you have upgraded cooling for engine and transmission, that is usually the most important part of a tow package. they also usually include either a 4 pin or 7-way trailer connector. You will need a 7way installed.

Couches is one of the largest dealers of FR RV's in general, and the largest seller of pods. At one point the factory told me Jeff Couch accounted for almost 25% of all Goshen factory R-Pod orders.

Couches prices are steady year 'round, doing the volume they do, they discount consistently.

Understand, if you buy from Couches, if you live near them, no problem. If you live near another dealer, and have warranty issues, they (local dealer) most probably WILL NOT work on your pod, but tell you to have the selling dealer handle it.
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 9:32am
Ditto on the warranty work. We have had a couple minor things done on warranty, luckily we are 45 mins away from our dealer.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
malkbean2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 10:28am
thank you for the info