R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSurge protector installation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Ira View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Surge protector installation
    Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 4:13pm
furred and StephenH, Thanks much for your very descriptive help. I did wade through the snow this afternoon, and pulled the power distribution panel out, as you explained. In my case, I did not have an orange cable, but a Red and a Black cable. Am I correct that the red is the hot wire, and the black in this case is the neutral? Looks like a pretty simple process, complicated only by the small amount of working space. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by furpod

On 179's, the #1 place to install is behind the power distribution center, which is in the base of the cabinet on your right as you enter the Pod.

The power entry wire does not run under the bed. 179's power cord connects at the rear street side corner as I recall.

That is correct. There is only a thin panel held on by a couple of screws that hides the power connector inside the cabinet. Remove those screws, and the back side of the power connection and wires are right there along with the external shower fittings and the satellite and cable antenna connectors, although both top and bottom panels might need to be removed to access everything easily.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by Ira

Thanks furpod and Leo B. So, what you are saying is that the electrical wire that enters the rpod goes directly to the power distribution center. I think I will wade through the snow to get to where it is stored and look at the area you are talking about. As I remember that area, it is already pretty tight in there. Guess I wasn't looking to add anything in there when I looked before. Do each of you have ems systems, either hard wired or mobile? Thanks for all your help.

We had a 177, but I have worked on, modded, or at least looked over, nearly every floor plan in detail.

I have installed 3 of the hardwired surge protectors so far. It just needs to be somewhere along the line in. The pendant is the only part you need to see. To put it in a 179, most will pull the cover to the power center, then the 6 screws holding the box itself in place, slide it out, then disconnect the incoming orange 10/2 gauge wire from the distro box, attach it to the "in" side of the surge protector, and add in an appropriate length of 10/2 from the "out" of the protector and back to the power distribution center. Secure the surge protector in the back of that lower cabinet area. Most rout the pendant cord up and place it on the side wall by the thermostat etc. At least one 179 owner has chosen to just mount it in the bottom of the pantry, otherwise the same procedure, but will give you way way more room to work.

remember to unplug all power etc..

And yes, the wiring goes "straight" from the inlet on the side of the pod to the power distro box.
Ira View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 11:29am
Thanks furpod and Leo B. So, what you are saying is that the electrical wire that enters the rpod goes directly to the power distribution center. I think I will wade through the snow to get to where it is stored and look at the area you are talking about. As I remember that area, it is already pretty tight in there. Guess I wasn't looking to add anything in there when I looked before. Do each of you have ems systems, either hard wired or mobile? Thanks for all your help.
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 9:44am
+1
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 7:32am
On 179's, the #1 place to install is behind the power distribution center, which is in the base of the cabinet on your right as you enter the Pod.

The power entry wire does not run under the bed. 179's power cord connects at the rear street side corner as I recall.
Ira View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2017 at 11:09pm
I am planning to purchase a Progressive Industries Surge Protector. I would like to install a hard-wired unit, if I am able to get to the entry point of the power cord. Because my unit (2016 179) is in winter storage, I cannot check it out myself. I am guessing that the power cord junction box is underneath the bed, and can be reached by taking out the mattress and piece of plywood. Is this correct? If this is correct, is there plenty of room to replace the junction box with the Progressive Industries EMS-HW30 C unit? Thanks for the information. As always, any suggestions are welcomed. Thanks, Ira
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123