R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSurge protector installation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Surge protector installation
    Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 7:34pm
Thanks StephenH. I'll leave the wall and shelf alone, and work through the bottom.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 7:42pm
Interestingly, just today, over on the FB group, a 179 owner put his in the ottoman. I don't know how he handled the pendant.

Ira View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 8:36pm
Thanks furpod. It would be a lot easier to work on it in that location. However, I like the idea of having the monitor located on the wall on the right, as you come in the camper. Don't know how you would get the wire over to that location. Guess I will stay with the lower right location. Just read through all 10 pages of your mods. You have been very creative. Wish I had your knowledge of camper construction and electrical ability. I'll keep learning through this forum.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 7:32am
Originally posted by Ira

Thanks furpod. It would be a lot easier to work on it in that location. However, I like the idea of having the monitor located on the wall on the right, as you come in the camper. Don't know how you would get the wire over to that location. Guess I will stay with the lower right location. Just read through all 10 pages of your mods. You have been very creative. Wish I had your knowledge of camper construction and electrical ability. I'll keep learning through this forum.

I think by the door is the best place also, or at least having the pendant where you can see it easy from the doorway. When you first plug in, the SP tests the power before letting it into the camper, 3-5 seconds or so. You can hear the microwave beep once the SP is happy, but it's nice to be able to just glance in the door at the pendant and see the readout.

Our new camper doesn't lend itself well to my preferred install, and it's enclosed/insulated underbelly makes for a challenge to running new wires around the camper, but I *think* I have it sorted out to get the wire/pendant to where I want it.
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 12:46pm
I just spoke with my dealer about having the EMS-26HW30C installed. They want 275.00 for the unit, and 200.00 to install it. He told me if i can find the unit cheaper, he would install whatever i buy because i bought the trailer from them. Amazon has this unit for 228.00. anybody got a better source to get it any cheaper? I don't want a cheap unit, i want a good price on this unit if you know. Thanks

Oh and BTW, did you all know that this unit will prevent the " hot skin " condition ?  cause i didnt, so incase anyone didnt know.

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
Ira View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 3:25pm
mjlrpod, Hope you can find it cheaper, but the cheapest I have found it is $220. My dealer told me it cost them about the same as I can buy it on Amazon. I plan to buy it on Amazon, as they have free shipping.
   furpod, thanks again for all the help. I waded through the snow again today, and took another look inside the power distribution area. The orange romex is right there, as you had told me. Other than being a little tight to work in there, it looks like a very straight-forward installation. Unfortunately, I will have to wait another month or so until I can get my rpod out of the pole building to work on it. Am getting anxious for Spring now!!!
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 5:54pm
Another question has come up. Can anyone verify this? people are saying they use a tester, to check the box, before they plug in the surge protector. Do we really need to do that?? they are saying they check it first, cause they dont want the surge protector to get fried. I'm thinking, get fried? why would it get fried, isnt it supposed to cut the power and make sure nothing gets fried, including itself?? I hate to think i have a couple hundred dollar unit that will burn out if i plug it into a bad outlet.  sheeeeesh 

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
I'll be rpodding
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 6:35pm
mjlrpod,

I have a tester, it's just that, it tests the circuit very quickly prior to plugging in. To me it just tells me to not plug in, agree the surge protector, depending upon capabilities would determine same and probably disconnect TT. I have the tester, just because I had it. BLUF is if the tester tells me connection is bad, I don't plug in. I can't testify you need both.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by mjlrpod

Another question has come up. Can anyone verify this? people are saying they use a tester, to check the box, before they plug in the surge protector. Do we really need to do that?? they are saying they check it first, cause they dont want the surge protector to get fried. I'm thinking, get fried? why would it get fried, isnt it supposed to cut the power and make sure nothing gets fried, including itself?? I hate to think i have a couple hundred dollar unit that will burn out if i plug it into a bad outlet.  sheeeeesh 

Yes, that is what some surge protectors do, some very expensive ones are actually "line conditioners" that can "fix" some problems.. The one you are looking at tests first, doing the same thing a tester does..
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 7:23pm
thanks fur. i figured you would know, and i knew you would clear it up. it didnt make sense my protector would blow up if i plugged in.  thanks again
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
I'll be rpodding
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>