R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSurge protector installation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Surge protector installation
    Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 5:54pm
Another question has come up. Can anyone verify this? people are saying they use a tester, to check the box, before they plug in the surge protector. Do we really need to do that?? they are saying they check it first, cause they dont want the surge protector to get fried. I'm thinking, get fried? why would it get fried, isnt it supposed to cut the power and make sure nothing gets fried, including itself?? I hate to think i have a couple hundred dollar unit that will burn out if i plug it into a bad outlet.  sheeeeesh 

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
Ira View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 3:25pm
mjlrpod, Hope you can find it cheaper, but the cheapest I have found it is $220. My dealer told me it cost them about the same as I can buy it on Amazon. I plan to buy it on Amazon, as they have free shipping.
   furpod, thanks again for all the help. I waded through the snow again today, and took another look inside the power distribution area. The orange romex is right there, as you had told me. Other than being a little tight to work in there, it looks like a very straight-forward installation. Unfortunately, I will have to wait another month or so until I can get my rpod out of the pole building to work on it. Am getting anxious for Spring now!!!
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 12:46pm
I just spoke with my dealer about having the EMS-26HW30C installed. They want 275.00 for the unit, and 200.00 to install it. He told me if i can find the unit cheaper, he would install whatever i buy because i bought the trailer from them. Amazon has this unit for 228.00. anybody got a better source to get it any cheaper? I don't want a cheap unit, i want a good price on this unit if you know. Thanks

Oh and BTW, did you all know that this unit will prevent the " hot skin " condition ?  cause i didnt, so incase anyone didnt know.

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 7:32am
Originally posted by Ira

Thanks furpod. It would be a lot easier to work on it in that location. However, I like the idea of having the monitor located on the wall on the right, as you come in the camper. Don't know how you would get the wire over to that location. Guess I will stay with the lower right location. Just read through all 10 pages of your mods. You have been very creative. Wish I had your knowledge of camper construction and electrical ability. I'll keep learning through this forum.

I think by the door is the best place also, or at least having the pendant where you can see it easy from the doorway. When you first plug in, the SP tests the power before letting it into the camper, 3-5 seconds or so. You can hear the microwave beep once the SP is happy, but it's nice to be able to just glance in the door at the pendant and see the readout.

Our new camper doesn't lend itself well to my preferred install, and it's enclosed/insulated underbelly makes for a challenge to running new wires around the camper, but I *think* I have it sorted out to get the wire/pendant to where I want it.
Ira View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 8:36pm
Thanks furpod. It would be a lot easier to work on it in that location. However, I like the idea of having the monitor located on the wall on the right, as you come in the camper. Don't know how you would get the wire over to that location. Guess I will stay with the lower right location. Just read through all 10 pages of your mods. You have been very creative. Wish I had your knowledge of camper construction and electrical ability. I'll keep learning through this forum.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 7:42pm
Interestingly, just today, over on the FB group, a 179 owner put his in the ottoman. I don't know how he handled the pendant.

Ira View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 7:34pm
Thanks StephenH. I'll leave the wall and shelf alone, and work through the bottom.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 7:16pm
I can answer that. Looking at the pantry, you would need to remove the wall on the left of the shelf as well as the wall behind it to get to the screws holding the shelf in place. You would risk breaking these parts as they are glued and stapled into place. It would be much simpler just to remove the power panel out and work it through the opening. I had to do something similar when I added a shelf to the upper pantry. That is how I know that it isn't as easy as it might seem to get the cabinet wall panels out intact.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Ira View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 7:04pm
Thanks again furpod. I was up at the rpod before I read your email about the orange Romex. I will go back up tomorrow and take the module out and look for the orange Romex. How much of a job is it to take out the lower floor of the first cabinet to be able to work on things from above? Or, would I destroy too much by trying to take that out?
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by Ira

furred and StephenH, Thanks much for your very descriptive help. I did wade through the snow this afternoon, and pulled the power distribution panel out, as you explained. In my case, I did not have an orange cable, but a Red and a Black cable. Am I correct that the red is the hot wire, and the black in this case is the neutral? Looks like a pretty simple process, complicated only by the small amount of working space. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

NOPE.. the 120v 30A input WILL be an orange ROMEX cable, enclosing a white wire, a black wire and a bare/copper wire. The red/black wire you came across is for the 12v system.

If you click on my mods link, and go to page 7, you will see a picture of ours, installed in our 177. While the floor plan and placement is different for a 179, the wiring isn't. There is also a link, on the post with the picture, to a walkthrough..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>