R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: WDH hitch and unibody frame concern and questions.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWDH hitch and unibody frame concern and questions.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: WDH hitch and unibody frame concern and questions.
    Posted: 04 Feb 2017 at 11:41pm
Originally posted by Steve 911

I have a 2016 Highlander, and my owners manual speaks to using a WDH. It says to "measure the front fender height before the connection, and adjust the WDH so the front fender Returns to the same height as before the connection".  It goes on to say "if gross trailer weight is over 2000 lbs. a sway control device with sufficient capacity is required ".
I gather from this info that the addition of a WDH should not harm the vehicle.
I know it's not the same year Highlander as yours but perhaps this might help ...
Steve

Thanks Steve.
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 12:44pm
I set up our WDH that way on our 2016 FWD Highlander and we've had no issues. IMO, unibody concerns aside, it's more important to follow that wheel well height advice with a FWD vehicle than a RWD vehicle. The front drive train is designed for a certain about of suspension "sink" and exceeding that could cause too much pressure on the CV joints.

I think you're safe with a WDH on a unibody if you're not exceeding the tow ratings AND you don't oversize the WDH. A 1000/10000 WDH will have a lot less flex than a 600/6000, which means a lot more stress on the body panels.
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

I don't know the answer to your question, but in my opinion and in my experience, a WDH on a vehicle with a 5000 lb tow capacity and a 3500 lb trailer is of very questionable necessity.

It depends on how stiff the suspension is. Our Highlander has very car-like suspension, which means it sags quite a bit under load. We started out without a WDH, but after posting my first pics, I was advised by several people that we needed one. It certainly has made the ride better.
JET View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by TheBum

I don't know the answer to your question, but in my opinion and in my experience, a WDH on a vehicle with a 5000 lb tow capacity and a 3500 lb trailer is of very questionable necessity.

It depends on how stiff the suspension is. Our Highlander has very car-like suspension, which means it sags quite a bit under load. We started out without a WDH, but after posting my first pics, I was advised by several people that we needed one. It certainly has made the ride better.

Thanks so much for your reply. This whole question has had me rather apprehensive about whether to tow without the WHD, which I am convinced is a help and valid in that respect, or use the WHD and hope that the unibody frame issue is really a non-issue. I have talked to various people in the RV world and no one has ever experienced a problem with WHD's and unibody frames. Also, with all the talk of this issue on the Internet there is nowhere where I found a single person state that they actually had a problem with their unibody frame and a WHD, so I think it is all hypothetical worry that has no real basis for concern and the downside to towing without using a WHD when needed is outweighed by using the WHD and worrying about the frame.  
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by JET

Originally posted by TheBum

Thanks so much for your reply. This whole question has had me rather apprehensive about whether to tow without the WHD, which I am convinced is a help and valid in that respect, or use the WHD and hope that the unibody frame issue is really a non-issue. I have talked to various people in the RV world and no one has ever experienced a problem with WHD's and unibody frames. Also, with all the talk of this issue on the Internet there is nowhere where I found a single person state that they actually had a problem with their unibody frame and a WHD, so I think it is all hypothetical worry that has no real basis for concern and the downside to towing without using a WHD when needed is outweighed by using the WHD and worrying about the frame.  

I know of a couple unibody vehicles that had catastrophic issues with towing. BUT.. many people do it and WAY more have no issues, as the ones who have any issues. I have personally seen a Jetta, yes, VW Jetta, pulling a 23 foot Airstream. Confidently. Would I do it? NO. But the owners had nearly 10k miles on the rig with no complaints other then 20mph over the Rockies.
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 2:41pm
Wow! Don't think I would try that either!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12