R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedReasonable hitch costs?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reasonable hitch costs?
    Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 9:45pm
And, after all that expense, don't forget a transmission cooler.  A must for every vehicle towing a TT.  It is even more critical for a mini van, since you will be pushing it to the limits.  I agree with Bugout, buy a new or different used tv that already has a tow package included.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2017 at 9:40am
Yes, I should have mentioned the transmission cooler. In spite of what Kia claims, I don't think the minivan is the best vehicle for the task. It may not even be adequate for the task. If you have the ability to do so, go for a vehicle that has a factory tow package. That would be much better.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2017 at 10:06am
Grounds for a new TV.  Can't beat a factory tow setup.  And a vehicle that can pull a bill board sideways down the high way.  Sounds like KIA was intending you to pull a boat or a utility trailer.  Just my thoughts.
bigbearcraig View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2017 at 8:37am
You're not going to like my answer, but at 3500 lbs you're going to be just about maxed out when your trailer is ready to go. Your max hitch weight with an equalizer hitch will be close to 350 lbs. If you're driving flat roads and not traveling long distances you probably could get by, but just barely. I think a tow vehicle with a tow rating of at least 5000 lbs with a factory tow package would be much more desirable.
Sidewinder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2017 at 9:55am
Thanks all for the information and advice.

The Pod choice for us is between the 171 and 177, both in the neighborhood of 2500 lbs dry.  I intend to travel with just a few gallons in the fresh water (for bathroom stops if necessary), empty grey and black tanks, and DW and I pack and travel light.  At least we did when we had a Class A, so I expect we would with a pod.  Maybe a couple hundred pounds of cargo - week worth of clothes, couple of folding camp chairs, 3 or 4 days of groceries, tool kit, drain and fresh water hoses, electrical system protector.  No kids or pets.  So I'm anticipating loaded weight around 2700-2800 lbs.

I agree that a TV with higher tow capacity would be preferred, but is not in the cards just yet.  Our second vehicle will be due for replacement in about 3 years, so that could be when I get a more capable vehicle.

The Ford Explorer seems like a good upgrade, and according to Edmunds it has a tow capacity of 5000 lbs, a nice increase over the KIA minivan's 3500.  Please help me understand why the capacity is so much higher.  According to Edmunds, its engine is only slightly bigger than the KIA (3.5L vs. 3.3L), with slightly more HP (290 vs. 276), is essentially the same weight (4443 lbs vs. 4414 lbs), and it is also front wheel drive like the KIA, so I'm not sure why it has a much higher tow rating.  Beefier frame and suspension, maybe?  Some of you must use the Explorer as the TV, so maybe you could help out here.

Not looking for an argument here, just looking to get a better understanding.

ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2017 at 10:02am
Tow vehicle structure also plays an important role in how much weight the tow vehicle can take. Transmission design, coolant system design,and the suspension design and dynamic with a load that the engineers have taken time to consider as what is safe at legal speeds. It's NOT all about engine power.

The hitch mounting design, where it's mounted, how strong the bolt points are, can the unit body take it?? You could move-tow 10,000 pounds with a Civic, but things would get ugly rather quickly.

This is why sometime people will recommend not towing more than 80% of a vehicle rated tow capability, it just stresses things out to the max. If only doing the occasional tow, and not epic distances, then going to the max end once in a while wouldn't be harmful.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2017 at 12:23pm
Last year we upgraded our 2008 Explorer to a 2013 Explorer.  Both have pulled our 2011  r-pod 177.  One big plus on the newer Explorer is how much better it pulls the pod.  With the older one if we went above 35-40 mph the pod would sway quite severely.  With the newer one I have gone 55 mph with no sway.  I wouldn't recommend doing that, I did it on a country road w/no traffic as a test.  Use the anti-sway bar whenever towing the pod with any smaller vehicle.  I think full size trucks probably wouldn't need it with their much longer wheel base for better stability.  Also the increase in HP on the newer Explorer is a welcome factor as well.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12