Topic Closed2017 Jeep Cherokee TV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2017 Jeep Cherokee TV
    Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 4:17pm
Situationally aware driving is part of the solution. Understanding the limitations and not pushing them is another. Consider the distance between the center of the axle and the hitch ball on the Cherokee. On the Escape, that distance was about 3' give or take an inch. On some the Frontier, it is about 5'. On some pickups, it could be even longer. The wheelbase is one factor, but that distance between the rear axle and the hitch ball is just as, if not more important in limiting sway. There is a discussion in another message thread about this. The longer the distance between axle and hitch ball, the more leverage the trailer can exert. So a short distance can help minimize sway. When coupled with a good weight transfer and sway control hitch, you should be fine. The Escape has a 105.9" wheelbase and it towed well.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 5:52pm
I believe the Cherokee wheelbase is 106.3 not 101.  We did research this as we bought the Cherokee with the knowledge of buying an RPOD later.  We have not heard of any issues and recommend a weight distribution hitch with anti sway.  The car does have built in anti sway for towing but I would add on to it anyway. Most of the negative posts if you google it are about towing Jeeps in the rear of the RV not about Jeeps towing  a TT. Don't worry be happy!
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
Roaming Around View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 6:28am
Richard Cindy, I am heartened by your reply although the posts I'm reading are not about towing a Jeep -- they are about a Jeep towing a TT! Anyway, thank you -- my gypsy life is looking better again :-)

You are right -- wheelbase IS 106.7 -- not sure where I got 101. I will add WDH with sway -- already have a very good brake controller which I took from my Tacoma so hope I can use it in the Jeep.

Again, many thanks to all for the great advice.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12