Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2017 Jeep Cherokee TV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2017 Jeep Cherokee TV
    Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 8:02am
Anyone towing with a 2016 or 2017 Cherokee Limited? I see a few Grand Cherokees but no plain old Cherokees! I have new 2017 with tow package -- not sure if package includes brake controller or if I even need one with this car. I needed a 4x4 for our Wisconsin winters but already miss my 2012 Tacoma Prerunner -- it was a perfect TV! Never needed even a sway bar and I pulled in Colorado, all over Florida, and the midwest.

BTW: Suggest when members post pictures of their TVs, they also tell what it is! I am not a good guesser!

Love this forum -- I read it every single morning and have learned so much!
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 9:03am
Law requires you to use a brake controller. It's not optional on any trailer over 2000lbs, and if a lighter trailer has brakes installed, they must be functional.
Roaming Around View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 9:27am
Yes, thank you. I know law requires and I would have it even if law did not require.  Sorry, I see my sentence made no sense! I meant I didn't know if the Jeep tow package comes with brake controller or if I have to buy one. I haven't taken the Jeep to the local RV dealer who does my maintenance and Jeep had no clue!

Mostly, though, I'd like some feedback from Jeep Cherokee owners who use it to pull an RPod.
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 4:47pm
 Is your tow capacity 2,000 lbs.? If so I think that is too low I think you would need a greater tow capacity. Sorry I see now with tow package it raises tow capacity to 4,500 lbs. We towed a 171 with a 2007 saturn view it had less horsepower and a 5 speed transmission and I will guess your Cherokee and our View weighed about the same. I thought the Saturn did a great job towing our 171. I would think your Cherokee would tow a 171 even better. A larger r-pod not sure hopefully someone will answer your question with the experience of your Cherokee limited with tow package.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 10:05am
It's not very powerful, but try the advanced 'search' function for - Cherokee "tow vehicle". It'll get you some feedback.

We have a 2014 Trail Hawk with tow package and, at times, have used sway control with a 171. Been cross country to L.A. from WV once, went twice to Yellowstone @ 8000 feet, and parts west. No problems, no excitement, satisfied, especially considering the Jeep's ability to then detach trailer and go off roads or in city.

PM me for further info. 
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2017 at 2:59pm
We have a 2015 Cherokee trailhawk.  It has the same 4500 lb tow capacity.  Most people on this forum recommend a minimum 5000 lb TV but people with Cherokees say they have no problem.  You will need to buy a brake controller.  The included tow package means it comes pre wired for the brake controller.   After reading reviews we went with the Tekonsha P3.  A bit pricey but well worth it.  It comes with wiring harness that has to be spliced into the cars wiring.  However for about $14 more you can buy item 3014-P which has a plug which fits the Cherokee so no cutting and splicing wires and making wrong connection.  Just plug and tow.  You can search for a YouTube video on where to find the plug on the Jeep (the hardest part of the self install was finding that hidden plug.  It is attached to the car so you cannot attach it until you slide it free first, I was thinking it would just be hanging down.
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2017 at 7:03pm
I agree that 4500 pound max is ok. Thats probably the lowest tow capacity i would use to tow a pod. I know a few here use 3500, but being at max capacity isn't the best way to go. I don't drive 120 miles an hour everywhere cause that would be silly. Just my opinion

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 7:39am
If you want some flexibility on where to mount the controller, check out the Hopkins InSIGHT Flex-Mount controller. With it, you will get separate flex-display, flex-control, and smart box. The display and control plug into the smart box with phone-style connectors. You would purchase the harness to connect it to the plug in your Cherokee. It is simple, and you get to choose where you want to mount the components for best visibility and most convenient reach while putting the smart box out of sight. It ends up being a very attractive installation.

Other than that, you should be okay with the 4500 pound towing capacity. We were towing with a 2016 Ford Escape SE with the 2L Ecoboost engine. It has a 3500 lb towing capacity. Where it excelled was at higher altitudes since the turbocharged engine did not lose power. We had an accident and since it is still in the repair shop in Wyoming, we needed to be able to get home so we bought a used, 2010 Nissan Frontier with a 6100 lb towing capacity. I really noticed the difference since the 4L V6 in the Frontier is not turbocharged. Since it does have other features we like, we will sell the Escape and keep the Frontier, at least until we can replace it with a Diesel powered TV (hoping Ford comes out with the Diesel F150 for the 2018 model year as the auto web sites indicate).
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Roaming Around View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 3:14pm
Thanks to everyone for your help! This forum is tops!

I am so confused and actually not very happy at this point. I sold a great TV -- Tacoma Prerunner -- and bought this Cherokee (with tow package) for its 4x4 which I need. However, I've been reading so much about the Jeep and its short wheelbase being dangerous or "challenging" for towing my 20' RPod. Beginning to think I should have done more homework but it never occurred to me that a JEEP could be a problem -- yikes!

I see some of you have the Cherokee but I am very hesitant based on some of the other stuff I am reading. The Cherokee's wheelbase is 101 -- pretty short! I do like to travel with it, including out West which means mountains along the way.

Oh my, what to do... Confused
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 3:46pm
I personally have always been of the impression that jeep is not a great tow vehicle, and that there is a certain amount of danger in the wrangler turning over. I would say that if you go into it aware that your T.V. is not able to be driven with disregard for the load, and approach it rationally, you will be just fine. I have a 2015 nissan frontier, that will be my approach. even though i technically have a 6100 tow capacity, more with the WDH, i will take it slow and steady, and respect the 3000 pounds attached to my back end.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>