Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBATTERY CHARGING WITH GENERATOR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: BATTERY CHARGING WITH GENERATOR
    Posted: 21 Jan 2017 at 11:51pm
I am considering the purchase of a Honda 2000i generator, but am confused about the charging process. Will the battery charge automatically if the HRE180 is connected to the generator, or do I need to purchase the 12V alligator clip attachment to connect directly from the generator to the battery. I will be running two 27 deep cycle marine batteries in series. Any help is greatly appreciated. I spent to much time in an archiac pop up. Please forgive me.
Morris & Michelle
2008 FJ CRUISER
2017.5 HRE 180
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2017 at 1:07am
The pod has?a builtin charger/maintainer that charges whenever you're plugged in to a 120v power source.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
funks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2017 at 6:36am
Good move  I have two generators and one is a Honda 2oooi  I love my Honda  Just plug your main cord into the Honda and your charging. 
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2017 at 2:15pm
If you're mainly going to use the generator with the Pod, get the Companion model. It has a 30A socket built in, so you don't need an adapter to hook it up to your Pod. I have one of each; I run the regular one in parallel with the Companion when I need to run air conditioning.
ronahue View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2017 at 3:32pm
You may want to consider the Honda charging cord. Last summer when my convertor failed I was unable to charge the batteries with my 2000i. If I had had the 12v Honda cable I would have been able to charge the batteries from my generator. I now have one.
By he way the EU 2000i is great always starts and is fairly quite if I had to do it over I would probably buy the 1000i it will charge the batteries just as quickly cost less and is lighter and smaller. The one draw back is it probably will not run the microwave or an electric heater. Neither will run the AC all though some say they can run the AC with the 2000i.
Ron & Sharon
2015 R-Pod 179
2022 Nissan Frontier

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message but a billion electrons were really agitated
M&M POD View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2017 at 6:09pm
I thought about the 1000i, but the simple fact it won't run the convection/microwave is a deal breaker. I don't need the 3000i since a great deal of our camping takes place in the Colorado high country. Thanks for the companion cord advice. That scenario didn't cross my mind. The 180 is in storage for now, but I thought it came with the 30 amp connector?
Morris & Michelle
2008 FJ CRUISER
2017.5 HRE 180
ronahue View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2017 at 6:48pm
We spent the last two summers camping in the high country of Colorado including Steamboat Lake SP, Rifle Gap SP, Ridgeway SP and Molas Lake. As I'm sure you know Colorado has amazing State Park Campgrounds. Colorado is my favorite state.
Good luck with your 180.

Ron & Sharon
2015 R-Pod 179
2022 Nissan Frontier

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message but a billion electrons were really agitated
 Post Reply Post Reply