R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSolar, 12volt questions - Event Date: 20 Jan 2017 - 25 Jan 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Solar, 12volt questions
    Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 7:15pm
We just bought an R-pod 172 with the solar hookup. It states on the sticker "20 amp". (1) Is this the maximum solar panel that we can hook up? (2) Does this just trickle charge the battery?                          Our previous trailer has a cigarette lighter port that we could plug in a small inverter to when boondocking, and charge our phones and camera batteries. The pod doesn't have this.. So, I am wondering how can I use the 12volt sources to charge small amperage electronics? The solar and 12 volt stuff is so confusingCry

Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 8:03pm
Hi, congratulations on your new Rpod 172?  

20amps is way more than a trickle charge and many of us have installed 12v plugs to run 12v devices and to also plug in a small 150-200w inverter to charge phones etc...

Good luck! Have fun! Smile
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
puudged View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 9:56pm
Thank you for the reply:) So, did you install the 12v outlet by yourself? I know there are 12v wires running all through the pod, but I am not sure how to access them. Is there a wiring schematic somewhere??

Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2017 at 5:36am
Yes, many of us install a unit that has a 12v plug, USB chargers, and a 12v digital gauge to monitor the battery voltage. 

No, there is no wiring schematic available. 

If this kind of thing is new to you, it may be best to have a qualified technician do the installation. 

Also, it could void any warranty you may have on the system related to the modification.

That said, it generally doesn't stop most owners. If its done correctly, there should be no problem. 
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2017 at 7:49am
the other posts have answered your 12 volt receptacle questions.

The solar question is different.  I'm not sure what the 20 watt designation is referring to. It certainly is not the size of the solar panel.   Most of us use solar panels that are rated between 100-200 watts to generate the power that goes into the charge controller.  the charge controller is  the brains of the system and determines the actual amount of charge pushed on to the batteries to keep them fully charged. the controllers are generally rated between 20-50 amps.

Personally, I use a 100 watt Renogy suitcase panel system.  It is portable and has two 50 watt panels that fold together suitcase style.  It works very well to keep my two 6 volt golf cart batteries fully charged with about 5 hours of daily sun.

Use the "search" feature at the top of the page and you will find multiple posts about solar systems being used in the R Pods.  They are a very effective tool for boondocking. there is also a wealth of informatin on the internet about RV solar systems.  The size and types of systems are numerous and the technology is becoming cheaper and more efficient. It is a great way to have power if you are not plugged in to an electric source.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
puudged View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2017 at 9:32am
thank you for the great information.. The more I delve into these subjects, the more questions arise! I appreciate any input..

puudged View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2017 at 10:06am
Thank you for the link! I just ordered these items, and will check around with my "geek" friends for some professional help!

Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2017 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by puudged

Thank you for the link! I just ordered these items, and will check around with my "geek" friends for some professional help!

You're welcome. I'm not familiar with the 172, but if you can mount the device in an area near the power panel where it is convenient to use, and draw power directly from a new run to the 12v side of the power panel, that would be best. You can certainly tap in to other wires as well, but depending on what you tap...it may limit the amount you can draw, but usually plenty power available for charging stuff, no problem. If you choose not to make a new run to the power panel, make sure you install an inline fuse on the power side of the tap and use a fuse rated appropriately. 

If one of your geek friends reads this and says "huh" don't let them do it... :-) 
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2017 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by Pod People

the other posts have answered your 12 volt receptacle questions.

...I'm not sure what the 20 watt designation is referring to. 

OP stated 20 amps, not 20 watts... 
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2017 at 5:02pm
Podster,

Comparing notes. Where did you mount yours in 178? I mounted mine in the panel, near door, that is the dinette passenger seat. I can open door and look at 12v status and use USB and 12v charge with device resting on dinette cushion or table. Drilled a hole thru floor of front storage compartment, and ran 14 gauge wire into floor of electrics bay and used spare fuse for connection point. Works great, silicone holes and secured wiring below TT and in front storage area. From what I have seen the 179 is much easier to access.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>