R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed20 LB LP tank Cylinder with Built-in Gauge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 20 LB LP tank Cylinder with Built-in Gauge
    Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 5:26pm
The 20 pound tanks hold 4.7 gallons of propane; they are not filled beyond 80% to allow for gas expansion as the tank gets hot so that’s why it’s not a full 5 gallons. All tanks come with an Over Fill Protection device which is part of the float assembly, the float is also used to drive the gauge. It works well enough for my needs. It takes 2 gallons of propane to fill the tank when the pointer is between the green and yellow marks and 3.5 gallons to fill at the yellow and red mark
From the Propane Tank Store
The propane tank gauge is driven by a shaft inside the tank with a magnetic tip that resides just under the gauge. As the inside float moves with the liquid volume, the shaft turns, thereby magnetically turning the dial needle inside the external gauge you see.

I have pictures to add to this post but with the New Server I cannot download directly from my computer. I was told you now you have to download your photos to an online photo site and then insert that link of the photo to the image dialog box. I am not a fan of any of the third party photo sharing sites.
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 9:21pm
I don't trust the guages. When I got two of the tanks, I thought that when it reached the red, it was empty or very close to empty. It turns out that the red just means that the tank is low. I have gotten an additional two to three days of use out of tanks that were "empty" according to the gauge. I would rather have saved the extra money I spent for the guages on propane as I still need to use another method (hot water being my preferred method) to know the level of gas in the tank.

I also don't trust photo sharing sites. I guess I won't be posting any more photos unless I can figure out how to host my own photos.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
JandL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 9:30am
On my tank when the pointer is on the mark between the yellow and red areas there is still 1.2 gallons propane in the tank.
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
Bugout View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 1:33pm
The only good way to tell how much gas is in the tank is by weigh.if you look on the tank it will tell what it weighs full.
Jk Aiken South Carolina 2016 178 Toyota Tundra 2017 4.6
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 1:44pm
However, it is a pain to remove the tank to weigh it. That is why the hot water method works so well. The tank does not have to be removed. Just pour hot water over the tank and wait a few seconds. Feel the tank to where the tank's temperature changes from warm to cold. That is where the fluid propane level is.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 2:22pm
Good advice Stephen.  I like cheap and easy, and that method includes both.  The other method is to carry two tanks, wait for the 1st to run out, usually during the middle of the night and it's raining or sleeting outside, and then switch out your tank. 

In our younger days with our pop-up we only had one tank.  Of course we woke up early on a Sunday morning and it was snowing outside, you could see your breath inside the camper, yes it was pretty cold.  The three kids didn't like it one bit, nor did my wife.   That was in the mid 1980's and we were in the UP of Michigan and nothing was open.  So, I told my wife after that episode that we would always carry a 2nd FULL tank, and we always have.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 4:39pm
Two thoughts on propane tanks: The second tank is a really good plan but most folks carry them on a two tank rack with an automatic switchover regulator. When the first tank goes empty at midnight the regulator automatically switches to the second. The next day you see the red indicator and know to get a tank filled. Second, the new ultrasonic sensors are really neat for checking propane levels. The device is like a fountain pen that you push against the side of the tank. Move it up and down until you see the red light go to green and you know exactly where the liquid level is. Similar to the hot water method but more precise and a lot easier than weighing the tank. Technology goes camping Wink.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Blue Highways View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 6:38pm
I have used the low-tech hot water pour-down test before; and I'll use it again... it works OK, but not always convenient, especially at dusk when you don't want to go out in the rain and try to 'feel up' the side of your propane tank.

There's also something I've recently seen but haven't tried yet, as it may be brand new. It's a longer patch of material you stick on the side of the tank, and the temperature sensitive material detects the temperature change above and below the level of the propane, changing colors at whatever level to show the propane amount. Has anybody seen or tried these or know how much they cost?

Probably the pen style tester that Charlie in FL knows about (previous post) is another advancement of the same idea.

I second Stephen's point that it's disappointing not to fully use up a propane tank, only because a gauge indicates the "general idea of empty", yet we still could have gotten two more meals cooked, and two more warm nights in our camper, but had instead made a side-trip to get this tank refilled, before we actually had to.

It's not any big deal financially, but I still have traces of my parent's "waste not, want not" ethic from an earlier era.... 

Brad & Layli
WonderPod towed by "BG" 

jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 10:37pm
I take my empty cylinder to the local hardware store where I only pay for what they put into the tank.  A refill runs $ 16.50 when the tank is empty, obviously less if I bring it in when it is only 1/2 empty.  I would not go to one of those places like Blue Rhino because you are paying about 50% more for a tank that is only 75% full, even though they want you to think you are getting a full tank.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 5:00am
same here as jato, only pay for what they put in.  right now its a $1 a pound i think.  hogone
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>