Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWill my TV work wih a 179? - Event Date: 11 Jan 2017 - 21 Jan 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Newmanbones View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Will my TV work wih a 179?
    Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 6:47pm
Due to multiple suggestions that I get a tranny cooler I've done a little research and yes, it looks like a good idea and an affordable one at that.  I will talk to my local mechanic about installing one as soon as I can get my Sorento down this ice covered hill.  Thanks.  
Newman Bones
ParPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2017 at 12:43pm
Hi Newmanbones
We pull our 179 with a Toyota Rav4 that is equipped with a tow package. I've added a Fasway E2 hitch which with the shorter wheelbase stabilizes everything nicely.
I would urge you to re-consider the tranny cooler. A Transmissions greatest enemy is heat and pulling trailers with all kinds of winds, hills and other things adds up to a lot of extra heat.
You can get an after market system for a couple of hundred bucks as opposed to the huge expense of a transmission repair.
Just a thought. Enjoy the 179!
Bob&Margaret
2017 179
2016 Toyota 4Runner
2 sets of Golf Clubs
Newmanbones View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 10:05pm
Friends:  You have all been so helpful.  Thank you.  So here's the deal:  I think I'll close on a 179 tomorrow.  Based on your advice I called my KIA dealer and was told I could use a WDH/sway bar combo made by Blue Ox, one that would accomodate for the "crumple" in the rear, the unibody frame, and traction control  They also told me that as long as I stay within the towing guidelines in the manual, I won't need to worry about a tranny cooler (which they don't make anyway).  And I'll be sure to get a wdh with a comparable weight rating, Lastly, being the cautious guy I am I will remember I'm not driving a huge vehicle (which might make my life easier but less economical), keep my confidence in check and my speed down.  

It's very snowy and cold right now up here in SW WA so don't expect to take a shake out trip for at least another month.  Again, thank you one and all, and I look forward to connecting again when I'm a 179 podder on the road.  Newmanbones

Newman Bones
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 3:53pm
I think, think, the reason you cant use wdh on the sorrento is due to the rear end crumple zones. As a safety feature from rear impacts, some vehicles weaken the rear end to make the crumple zone help lessen impact. Although it increases safety, it diminishes tongue weight capabilities and i assume, is why you cant use wdh. Thats what i was told by someone who claimed to know. If i'm wrong, im merely the messenger
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 10:07am
One secret to pulling with a WDH on a marginal TV is to make sure it's not grossly oversized. If you try to use a 1000/10000-pound WDH on a TV whose tongue weight limit is 450 pounds, you may very well damage the TV. Our Toyota Highlander is rated at 500/5000 pounds towing and we put a 600/6000 WDH on it. The WDH bars have plenty of flex in them and we've driven over some rough roads with no damage.
dr2428 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 9:28am
I tow our 179 with a 2016 Hyundai Santa Fe, should be same mechanicals as same year Sorrento. Santa Fe with weight distribution and sway control(Equalizer hitch) works very well, I can hold 60 pretty easily even on steep hills, long wheelbase is very stable. Just have to remember you are pulling with a "smaller" SUV and not a truck, mine pulls so effortlessly on flat roads I have to be careful not to get overconfident. We almost bought a brand new 2016 Sorrento, was a better deal than the Santa Fe but just before I made the purchase I found out the Kia states a weight distribution hitch cannot be used, the hitch shop confirmed this. I could not get an answer why this was so I bought the Hyundai. I wondered how the Sorrento would handle the tongue weight without WD. I'd do some research and find out how to work around it if possible, I had a tough time finding Santa Fe/Sorrento towing reviews.

Good luck
2017 RPod 179
2018 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 3:54pm
You will probably travel at a bit over 4,000 pounds once you add everything up. just you and the wife are 300-350 pounds (guess) if you were to fill your fresh water to travel, add 325 more, now add grills, pans, hoses, etc. it adds up fast. At 4000, pounds your right at 80 percent that people say to stay within. Its gonna be close, but i sorta wonder if not having a tranny cooler, or oil cooler become an issue.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
Blue Highways View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 12:23pm
Hi, Newmanbones. Your Kia seems to have a fairly strong tow rating at 5000 and Kia's are known as competitive, well-built and reliable. You probably have a fairly strong V-6 in it. An equalizer might be a good idea (as densmorema suggested) with the shorter wheelbase. With your Sorento, you may be able to switch off the tech (traction control) while towing.

For the hitch weight, as long as you don't add that second white propane tank to your Pod's hitch, that should keep it from getting a little too heavy on the rear of the Sorento's frame.

As you know, you'll have to 1) purchase a brake controller, including the wiring leads, which might be around $200 if you have it installed. You'll have to find a location on the lower dash, (maybe around your right knee?) where you can live with it without bumping it.

Then, 2) if it doesn't have a hitch, that's a purchase, and then you'll need 3) the 7-pin connector plus associated wiring for that... does anybody in our group know what the cost of adding that to a van/ SUV would be? Not sure. 

The "7" will be a step beyond the usual standard 4-pin trailer pig tail connector set..... as it charges your Pod battery as well as activates your Pod's electric brake assist.

With the cost of the Sorento mods, you might be tilted in the direction of a compact truck, where more of those goodies may already be present, or easier to install. (Maybe you can get one where the previous owner already installed the nec. tow goodies.) But, not everybody wants a truck. We definitely know the truck drawbacks, too, like firmer ride and backing it up in the city, etc.

We ended up towing our 179 with a truck & canopy, (using the covered truck bed for extra stuff) and rely on a mid-size 4-cyl. SUV as our normal run-around vehicle, but it's not R-Pod capable.

As with the Caravan & Pilot, your Sorento, at 5000# sounds like it has the muscle to move the trailer down the road just fine. You'd just have those extra prep. expenses. 

Just random thoughts that came to mind... hopefully somewhat helpful in your decision?

Brad & Layli
Tundra/179HRE
Western NC
densmorema View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 8:59am
I WOULD SUGGEST EQUALIZER HITCH AND SWAY BAR. I PULL OUR 179 WITH A PILOT WHICH HAD A 450LB HIGH WEIGHT WITH JUST A SWAY BAR AND HAD NO PROBLEMS.HONDA DOESN'T WANT YOU TO USE A WEIGHT DISTRIBUTING HITCH BECAUSE IT AFFECTS THEY'RE TRACTION CONTROL.YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHECK YOUR OWNERS MANUAL.OH, MY LEASE RAN OUT ON THE PILOT AND PULLING WITH A SILVERADO NOW.
Mike and Cherie
Michigan
2015 R179 2016 silverado
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 2:28am
Welcome to the group! We have a Dodge Grand Caravan and tow our 179 very comfortably.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>