Topic Closed3 weeks in 26 degree weather

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3 weeks in 26 degree weather
    Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 6:36pm
Jest returned from three weeks in Oregon and learned a lot about camping in cold weather.  No pod damage from the cold except what I broke.  Broke dump valve handles (snapped off in the cold) Broke off ears on the sewer cover when I put it back on (too cold for the plastic to flex)  Had to put water hoses in the public shower to warm them up to roll them up. Next time I will fill my fresh water tank when I arrive and not expect to use city water other than fill my tank.  Used electric heater to add to the gas heater to conserve gas.  Storage doors froze closed do I could not open them (going to use silicon on the gaskets).  Stuck in camp ground with others trying to return to California for a few days (I 5 closed to the California border)  When it was opened we all left and the trip home was beautiful.  Enough for now, BUT I would do it again with what I learned.  Smile
Old & out-to-play View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 6:50pm
Embarrassed  Just a thought...maybe next year you should join us in TOMBSTONE, Arizona.  Good weather, nice folks, lots to do & places to see.  Oh, yeah, the Arizona wines in Chochise County are pretty good. Confused
Old and in the way so now it's time to play
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 7:07pm
I spent some time in cold conditions in DEC, little pricey but I bought a heated water hose, amazing what it does. At 40 degrees it heats water from city water supply to pod. Agree you have to be careful with plastic things. Amazing what an extension cord and small electric heater will do, can even use a hair dryer on your gray and black dumps. BTW - there is no way to heat fresh water tank. You can heat city water if provided.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
ribet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 1:02am
 Amazon lists tank heaters that can be mounted under fresh water tanks.  Has anyone used them?
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 9:30am
I read reviews and decided against trying. The price is within 20 dollars of the heated water hose. Which I know works.
Mike Carter
2015 178
osage View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 9:54am
this remindes me of a camping trip to Timbercreek camp ground when our kids were small 6-8 yrs old.
We had a chevy pickup with a slide in cover kids slep on the the floor us on a plywood bed.
got so cold we put the kids in bed with us and their sleeping bags on all of us to keep warm. when we woke up started the the truck to warm us up and to melt all the frost in the inside of the truck. was so cold it froze the dish washing soap we left out side . but by 9:00 it had warm up  and 12:00 we were wading in the creek looking for gold. No we didn't find any but what a great time we had.
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 11:33am
etrailer has a DC powered holding tank heater suitable for the fresh water tank (30 gal) for 33.95, it comes with 36" of wire and is peel and stick. No reviews.
Mike Carter
2015 178
 Post Reply Post Reply