R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > Mods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed175

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 175
    Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 8:47am
Has anyone modified or removed the jackknife sofa to make it more comfortable for sleeping? Where the back meets the seat -makes an uncomfortable groove.  I have been brainstorming modifying the area into a daybed platform with a custom mattress. I'm concerned about hampering the slide movement. Any ideas welcome
2011 RPT 175..."lil buddy"
2014 F150 Lariat...oh yeow!
1 awesome Aussie
kansasfrogs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 2:18pm
Hi!  We are also from Topeka.  Sorry i can't answer your question, but just wanted to say hi! We have a 182G so it is a different setup.   We share it with various grandkids through the summer so the bunks are great, but no sofa.  The dinette works ok for that. 
FROGGY
Lexhandu View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 8:37pm
Hi! Glad to meet you. We bought ours at the end of the summer so have only been out a couple of times. We put it in storage for the winter and I miss seeing it when I pull in the drive.LOL And puttering around in it. i haven't camped for 25 years. The last several springs I have had the bug and last summer, just couldn't shake it. I told my husband it was time to have adventures! Hopefully we will be able to retire in a couple of years. Auuugh!  Too long. I live southwest. Maybe we can meet for coffee sometime and talk pod. Lol
2011 RPT 175..."lil buddy"
2014 F150 Lariat...oh yeow!
1 awesome Aussie
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 8:31am
We have a 173 and totally removed  the jack knife sofa.  I built a wooden frame around the exterior walls and made a bed in the same place.  The bed is 2 equal pieces of plywood that slide one on top of the other.  there are 2 foam mattresses in the middle.  Look at my mod page for pictures.  After you see the pictures, you will better understand how I did it.  Then you are welcome to ask me further questions.

We hated the sofa and love the bed.  there is a lot of storage space under our bed.  another advantage is thaat the top plywood has been sealed and serves as a great extension for our kitchen counter top.  It is stable, comfortable and takes up less room than the sofa.
good luck-I think this is a one of the best  mods we have done.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply