R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPipe insulation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pipe insulation
    Posted: 25 Dec 2016 at 2:50pm
Where I live in California it was 31°F (-0.6 °C) this morning but in the next couple of days it will warm up. I’m lucky I don’t have to add antifreeze to my water system, but I still have to do some preventive work so I don’t have a problem. I drain out all the water and set my compressor to 20-30 pounds and blow out the water lines. I keep the trailer covered with a Classic Accessories cover which helps to hold some heat in. If there are going to be a number of days in a row where it gets down to 32 °F (0.0 °C) I run a small heater overnight set to the lowest position. Because I can camp all year long I have added pipe and hose insulation to the water line and the black and gray water drains as an extra precaution when I am not in my driveway. I covered the hose from the fresh water tank with Flexible Foam Rubber Pipe Insulation and used pieces of the foam to wrap around the outlet of the water tank. It works better than the stiffer Polyethylene Pipe Insulation. The foam rubber insulation has a pressure sensitive adhesive on the split part of the tube so after you slide it over the water hose you can stick the 2 half’s together. I also backed it up with 3m Scotch 33 tape and Aluminum Foil Duct Tape so it won’t fall off. On the black and gray water drain pipes I used Thermwell-Frost King 12 in. x 15 ft. x 1/8 in thick, Duct Insulation, Self-adhesive Foil and Foam. I cut it into length and wrapped it around the pipes. I used the Aluminum Foil Duct Tape to cover all the seams and also wrapped 3m Scotch 33 tape around it to make sure it stays in place. The adhesive on the foam sticks very well to the ABS drain pipes. Make sure you clean the road dirt off the pipes first. I have an indoor-outdoor thermometer and I attached the remote sensor to the rubber insulation of the water hose, so when I am out camping I can check the water line. This morning when I checked the air temperature was 31°F (-0.6 °C) but the remote sensor under the trailer showed 35°F (1.7 °C). When I’m camping it good to monitor the temperature and know the insulation helps prevent freezing the lines. (Also all holes thru the floor under my trailer have been filled in with spray foam)

JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
 Post Reply Post Reply