R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWood River 179 Mods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wood River 179 Mods
    Posted: 18 Dec 2016 at 11:36am

Wood River 179 Hood River Pod-mods to date.  Have 15 inches of snow outside.  Got in with the cover on, so can’t take the slide out.  More pictures to come in the spring. 

Exterior
D&W expandable sewer hose holder.  Installed right behind the front jacks.  Had to maneuver around the gas line on the driver’s side frame.  Once in, it fits great.  Holds the Rhinoflex hose and fittings.  Bought a pocket hose at Target that fits in the original sewer hose holder under the battery. 

New lock on storage compartment to match Global main door key.  One key does it all.

Replaced lock on outdoor shower with simple Camco turn knob.  Did need to trim with dremel and sand both sides of the latch to fit in the groove on the plastic cover.  No need to lock this.

We have a steep incline driveway.  Replaced the bolts on the rear scissor jacks and replaced with clevis pins.  Now we can remove the rear jacks when coming or going without incident.  May also come in handy when boondocking on rough roads.

Interior

Added wooden rack and metal shelf on passenger side kitchen.  Wooden rack from Target and metal shelf from Amazon.  Read lots about attaching things to walls.  Didn’t want to do velcro or command strips. Understand concerns with screws, but wanted these mounted more permanently.  Used some ¾ inch coarse machine screws.  Drilled pilot holes and then hand screwed.  Careful not to over tighten.  Then used caulk squeeze in each hole and re-screwed.  They are sturdy and well anchored to the wall.  Won’t load up with heavy items when traveling.  Will be great at camp to free up counter space and be organized. 

Added metal paper towel holder with shelf and small metal spice rack on driver side kitchen.  Both purchased on Amazon.  Same installation as above.

Added additional shelf in upper pantry and stained and installed some wood barriers to keep items in pantry from pushing open door or falling out. 

Installed three USB/Cig Sockets for 12v charging and electronic use. 

• By the kitchen plug driver’s side,
  • By the TV/stereo (pictured)
  • Down by the bed plug. 
Will change out one of the cig sockets for a voltmeter.  Also bought some rocker switches to kill power to the blue LED on the USB if it proves to be a battery drain next season.

Put the same metal shelves over valences over bed windows and under TV.  

Non-Pictured Mods

• Purchased a tilt mount on amazon and installed on the tv arm for vertical tilting.  Greatly improves the tv viewing while in bed and at dinette.  Had to do a little metal bending to make it fit.  StephenH, still working with a local fabricator on that total tilt that was posted earlier this summer.  
  • Cutting board stove cover.
  • Reconstructed bottom two drawers under kitchen sink to increase depth.
  • Put a door activated light in the closet. 
  • Covered wire and equipment in the other dinette pedestal to make more room for storage.
  • Put some non-skid on all the kitchen cupboard shelves. 
  • Did same strap as rynosurfs to keep the cushions on the lowered table in place when making the dinette a bed.
  • Added some locking brackets on the dual battery case.
  • Screen covers on vents.
  • Purchased the PahaQue R-Pod shade awning from RV Supply Shop – but have not yet put it on the pod.

To do list

• Really like some of the backsplash ideas I've seen on here.
  • Increase depth of drawers under the closet.
  • Find or build shelf system for the closet.  Prefer sliding bins/drawers. 
  • Slide out cover.
  • Window in the door.
  • May install a battery cut off switch.
All of these have been discussed here.  
Thank you for all of the great ideas posted here.  It's been fun.
Thanks
Smitty

Smith's in Hailey
Early 2017 179 HRE

Wood River Mods
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2016 at 4:38pm
Sent you a message
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2016 at 4:53pm
Nice work!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Blue Highways View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2016 at 12:08am
I was really impressed with the clevis pin idea on the stabilizer jacks. That's a first! A specific mod that answers your driveway concerns as well. We drug in the rocky dirt (but luckily did not break off) a stabilizer jack trying to get the perfect boondock campsite position last Sept.....so that mod makes complete sense to me.

Your other mods are a long list ....that you've moved forward very quickly on.... nice going and thanks so much for sharing them with our Pod community. You've done a few things I've never even considered yet.

Brad & Layli
Western NC
WanderPod
(17 179 HRE)
Wood River Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2016 at 10:08am
Brad,
Had to order the clevis pins from amazon.  As you know our hardware opportunities are limited here in the WRV.  3-inch long by 3/8 diameter.  The original bolt is metric and the 3/8's is the slightly smaller SAE equivalent.  You can find at Home Depot.

Saw Willie Cook and Jerry Seifert the other day and thought of you.

Thanks for the compliments.  The screws in the walls were scary but easy, and the items hold well.  Everything I've learned I've learned on this forum.
Thanks and Happy Holidays.
Jeff

Smith's in Hailey
Early 2017 179 HRE

Wood River Mods
Blue Highways View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2016 at 3:02pm
Glad to know Jerry (former mayor) is out about town getting ad contracts signed and Willy's still taking his awesome WRV photos!
---brad

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2017 at 5:22pm
Idaho has had above average snow this year.  Great for the aquifer...bad for trailer management.  So, I know Spring Break is more than six weeks away, but if I didn't work on getting out the pod now, I was worried I wouldn't be able to come March.  I only wish I would have taken some before pics.

Last weekend I had to dig out the pod.  After two months of clearing snow off the roof, there was about 5-6 feet of snow on the drivers/slide side.  I couldn't get in that side with the snow blower, so I had to move most by hand and then blow.  I was sore!

Then this weekend I had to increase the width of the side driveway by about 4 feet.  Need enough room to get the double gates open and have the drive be wide enough for the pod and the TV to be able to maneuver. 

See the last pic look at the pod from the backyard.  You can see how deep the snow is.  Well, now if we have more snow, I should be able to keep up on the removal and ensure an easy pull out of the side yard. 

Zions NP for Spring Break!  Can't wait.  For those of you in warmer climates, enjoy the pics.
Thanks
Smitty 

Smith's in Hailey
Early 2017 179 HRE

Wood River Mods

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2017 at 5:52pm
Sorry, issue with pics.  New update is creating issues.
Can't upload from Goggle Photos.
I'll work on it.
Thanks

Smith's in Hailey
Early 2017 179 HRE

Wood River Mods

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2017 at 8:05pm

Smith's in Hailey
Early 2017 179 HRE

Wood River Mods