Topic ClosedI wrecked our escaPod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 16171819>
Author
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: I wrecked our escaPod
    Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 12:25pm
If using a direct link, I just post it in the body of the message...
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 2:12pm
Google does not work for me either.  So I just added onto to this site and it worked
https://postimg.org/image/qlmx0ljgx/ef23d839/
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 9:27pm
Well, here is a link. I am trying to paste it directly in the body instead of going through the photo tool.

https://goo.gl/photos/gdoVzD8xi2sd9kFi7

Since we got home, I have reinstalled our double steps, the battery locking system, the Stromberg-Carlson Trailer Tray (for our generator), the mattress, the shelf above the bed, the curtains, and the kitchen and wardrobe lights. I decided to move the mounts for the SC Trailer Tray which means I need to relocate the sewer hose holder. It is removed and I am trying to figure out where to put it or whether to go with something different so I can fit a longer hose.

I will work on reinstalling our nice kitchen faucet, shower head, and the rest of the cushions tomorrow. Then it will be time to clean everything up and start loading it up for our upcoming trip.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 9:44pm
https://goo.gl/photos/qcVSdxL2Qa7M4Nms7
Here are three more photos. If you go back and see the original damage, you will see that the factory did an excellent job on the repairs.

I did figure out how to mount our wind deflector on the Frontier. I had to build a custom cross-bar for mounting. I'm not sure how much it helped. The front of the 'Pod was much cleaner than it could have been. There were some bugs on the sides, but the center was clear of bugs. That tells me that the deflector does seem to be helping. Our average towing mileage for the return trip was 12.306 mpg. That includes mountains as well as relatively flat land. Our mileage for non-towing was around 18 mpg.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Wood River Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 10:05pm
Wow Stephen!  It  looks great.  Far cry from pics of the plywood band-aid.   Enjoy your "bionic" pod.  A little jealous of your awning, but we still love our Pahaque shade awning.  Just have to store it when not in use.  Oh well.
Have a great trip.  You and the wife deserve it.  
Happy Father's Day. 

Smith's in Hailey
Early 2017 179 HRE

Wood River Mods
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 10:05am
Thank you. I thought about the PahaQue visor. Our homemade awning worked, but was not as easy to deal with and to figure out how to carry the poles. Now, except for the crank handle, it is all self-contained. Now to figure out what to do with the homemade awning material and poles.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Kup-Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 7:13pm
Hi Stephen,

I'm new to the forum and just read through your 18 pages of trials and tribulations with the escapePod repair. Sounds like your patience was being tried for a while but the end result looks fantastic!
I'd like to know what you think of the new Thule awning.  We are taking delivery of a new 178 with the awning but we really liked the concept of the Rdome.  
So, two questions for you, 
1. How far out does the Thule awning extend?
2. What's your opinion between the Rdome vs Thule; is the change to the Thule a positive one for new RPods?

Thanks... K&S
2017 RP-178
2021 F150 5.0l
"Lead me on a level path"
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 1:49pm
I did not measure, but it extends quite a ways. It would be sufficient to cover a picnic table when fully extended and the picnic table would not need to be right next to the 'Pod.

I never had the R-Dome. I can't make a direct comparison. However, I did not care for the pictures of it that I saw. The one I made used the keder rail, but was just an awning. Mine did not extend nearly as far as I did not have the width material to make one large enough. I was really happy to get the Thule awning. In my opinion, it is a great alternative. However, that is why both are offered. People can make their choice between them.

Positive points:
1. Easy for one person to operate.
2. No ladder needed to operate.
3. Provides great cover over the side of the 'Pod.

Negatives:
1. Does not allow the ability to add walls (currently) so it can't be used as an additional room.
2. Does not extend much past the door so it would not provide much protection against wind-driven rain.
3. Does not extend forward enough to provide rain protection for the bedroom area window. On this, I don't know if the R-Dome would either.

Neutral:
1. This is a manual awning. An electric awning might be nice, but this one does operate easily and is simpler since there is no motor or electrical connections to malfunction.

Overall personal opinion:  I have wanted such an awning since I got our RP-179. I would not recommend having an accident so it can go to the factory to be repaired in order to get one. If we did not have the accident, I would have kep using the one I made until we eventually would have needed to replace the R-Pod with something newer. The Thule awning is definitely a positive move for me.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 4:04pm
Reinstallation of modifications is pretty well complete. One change Idid was to move the mounts for the Trailer Tray forward so that the bolts straddle the rear bracket for the batteries. It sits much better now. The down side is that I had to relocate the sewage hose holder. I had the idea to mount it to the bottom of the Trailer Tray. This is actually a good move since I won't have to worry about breaking it off again exiting or entering our driveway.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
ron_whitt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2017 at 6:43am
StephenH, concerning your sewer hose and new holder. I went to our local rv repair shop and bought a 20ft sewer hose and a new end that hooks onto the black and grey tubes under the trailer. After making sure the new end would fit unto the tubes under the trailer, I just used a ring clamp to attaché the 2 new pieces together. The new sewer hose FITS into the stock sewer hose holder from FR with a couple of inches to spare.. Going on year # 3 with this and all is well so far.
Ron & Shirley
2020 Tacoma
2012 177 rpod
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 16171819>