R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTexman 182g Mods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 33>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Texman 182g Mods
    Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 2:10pm
i have a klein CL800.  Can i just clamp the meter on the main positive cable (not the jumper) ?
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 3:15pm
texman, I got the impression that you had your batteries on charge up until about an hour before you measured the voltage at 12.2? If so then you're right the 80W/6-7A shouldn't have pulled the batteries down much. So I think you still need to sort out what's going on with the battery capacity and voltage.

That being said, I agree with GlueGuy that 80W/6-7A is too much load to be just the LED lights. If all of those were on it should still only be maybe 3 amps. You can put your clampon ammeter anyplace on the battery conductors, or you could also just use your power meter when you pull fuses to do your troubleshooting. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 3:20pm
i made a visit to the battery and bulb store where i purchased the GC6 batteries right at 2 years ago.  They said that was about right for GC batteries as far as life span.  i think they should last longer and i know many of you have gotten many more years than that.  The battery guy did make a point in that the rv usage that the battery is always in a state of charge and discharge and that is what causes them to decrease in performance.  I would like your thoughts on that.  I thought the normal method for storage was to plug in the pod to shore power and let the on board charger maintain the batteries.  that is what i have done and now the batteries are questionable.  Of course they couldn't do a Spec gravity test, which i think is odd for a battery shop.  I will pick one of those up myself.  
i replaced the batteries.  They have a 1 year warranty, so no prorate.  They just load tested them and one was about 60% and the other 75% of new cranking amps.  The acid levels were fine.  what really spooked me was the 12.2 volts in less than an hour in the pod. 
So now i have a good base line.  new batteries and a new Hall meter to monitor.  I have read on the forum how to test the current and will try and do that tonight to find the true loads and what they are.  maybe i can even get that hall meter set up correctly.
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 3:27pm
what do you guys think i should use for the settings?  AH is 208 These are the setting on the battery monitor that i added.
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 3:33pm
Wow, only 2 years of use on GC batteries.  That's not much.  As an example, my  brother-in-law got 12 years from a bank of Costco GC batteries in his giant Tiffin motorhome (it makes our pod look like little wagon).  He takes pretty good care of stuff, but said other than maintaining the water level, he really didn't have to do anything to them.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 3:56pm
would you all suggest a refractometer or a hydrometer for testing specific gravity?
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 4:12pm
Hydrometer should be fine, I've never used anything else. 

Deep cycle batteries like golf cart batteries lifetime is usually rated by number and depth of cycles rather than calendar lifetime. There are compromises in the design that make the batteries last through more deep cycles but lowers their calendar life compared to say a starting battery if they are just floated, especially if they are kept at higher storage temperatures. I've usually gotten about 5 years out of mine but I cycle them quite a bit and live in a warm climate. The 5 years seems pretty typical for actual golf cart use as well. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 4:31pm
I agree with offgrid that that seems like a pretty short life cycle. In GC batteries, the "GC" stands for Golf Cart, and they get pretty serious use in an actual golf cart. I would call the usage in a TT to be much gentler for the most part. Maybe slightly deeper discharges, but a lot fewer cycles.

If you really discharged them very deeply and/or ran them low on electrolyte, that could explain the short life.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by texman

i have a klein CL800.  Can i just clamp the meter on the main positive cable (not the jumper) ?
Yes. That is the same clamp-on meter we have. It will measure AC or DC amps. It defaults to AC, so you have to select to get DC.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 4:38pm
what is the test that you trust to determine that it is time to replace? we have camped with them maybe 9 nights and i dont remember ever having them discharged near 50% SOC.  my 80 watt zamp kept them fully charged (according to the zamp meter) most of the time.  I do recall the electrolyte being low and part of the cell was exposed, which is bad.   i think leaving them plugged into the charger all of the time and still connected to the pod may cause a shorter life.  maybe a stand alone charger and disconnected from the pod?
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 33>