R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTexman 182g Mods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 33>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Texman 182g Mods
    Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 8:00am
laureypod

are you referring to the window in the door?
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 9:44am
Originally posted by laureyrpod

These window are my favorite mods. The rpod is dark inside. I just don't have the tools. I hate to pay camping world 185 an hour though. 

For much less than one hour of Camping World labor charges, you could get some nice tools. You could get a Black & Decker corded jigsaw for as low as $19.98 (Item 670173) at Lowe's. You could also go for something like the Black & Decker Matrix 6 Tool Combo Kit with Case. This would give you an assortment of tools you could use for less than one hour of Camping World labor.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 10:18am
That is a good point that stephenH makes.  Most of the mods are not difficult and do not require many tools.  The window that i used was $154 from amazon and you need the saw stephen describes a drill, bits and a screwdriver to install the window. So for less than $200 you can have a window and keep the tools!Smile
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 8:37am

I installed this last night to my dual 6v setup.  I connected as follows:
battery  1 is the 2-6v batteries, battery 2 is to the zamp.  That way i can essentially turn off the pod batteries and switch to 2 and get the full recharge from the solar without the normal drains from the pod devices and i can switch to 1+2 to get a charge and use the pod.  Smile

Blue Sea Systems m-Series Battery Switches
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 10:10am
Do i have a leak or made a newbie mistake?

I arrived to campsite this weekend with two empty propane tanks.Embarrassed  They were both open valves of course and had been that way for the last 2.5 months in storage (without battery).  I was saved by a fellow camper who had a spare tank.  Hooked up and all good, made it two nights and still plenty in the tank.  I checked for leaks, with what i had (soap and water) and didn't find anything.  I know both tanks were full prior to putting the pod in storage. 

does the tank valves being open with no battery allow propane to leak?   Or, do i just have a leak?  What is the best way to find a leak?  i added the dual regulator as a mod and replaced the pigtails as well.
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 10:19am
Propane should never just leak, even with the valve open, as long as no appliance using propane is turned on or there is no leak anywhere in the system. One way to check is to take some simple dish detergent (Dawn, Palmolive, or whatever brand you have on hand) and mix it with some water. In essence, you are making bubble solution. Using a brush or squirt bottle, put some of that on every fitting. If you see bubbles, then you have a leak. If you don't see bubbles, then there is no leak. I found out about a leaking Blue Rhino tank this way. I was testing the fitting and saw bubbles around where the valve was screwed into the tank. I was not expecting to see bubbles there. Another possibility is that the pigtail is leaking. I had one go bad to where I could hear gas escaping from where the hose itself joined to the connection fitting.

You could get a fancy electronic propane detector and use that instead. The bubble solution is much less expensive and uses what you probably already have on hand.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 10:22am
Thanks Stephen!  that is what i thought, but wanted to be sure. 
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 10:35am
If you test and can't find a leak, you may wish to have a dealer do a pressure test on the system. That will be able to detect any leaks that might be in places to which you have no access. I believe that there are propane lines running beneath the R-Pod. Leaks could develop there if something hit the line and damaged it.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 10:38am
i am betting heavily on the connections at the regulator installed by yours truly as the point of failure. But that could be it too.  I am actually looking through your escapod mods for the voltage meter that you used. I go through those often BTW.
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 10:53am
When you re-did the regulator, did you use the heavier yellow teflon tape which is made for gas line connections or some other thread sealant made for gas connections? The white teflon tape is not made for gas. Also, if it has a reverse male flare fitting, that does not get tape as the metal to metal flare seals the connection. The tape is used on NPT connections.
When I re-did mine, I had to use an adapter as the hose had a reverse male flare end and I needed an adapter for the hose to fit it to the regulator. The adapter was female flare on one side and 1/4" NPT on the other side.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 33>