R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTexman 182g Mods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 33>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Texman 182g Mods
    Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by texman

brake controller installed.  Looks nice i think.

Is that the Redarc brake controller Tow-Pro Elite from E-Trailer?  If so how do you like it?
Prior camper:
www.openrangeowners.com
Now looking to purchase an R-Pod 190
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 8:18am
yes it is.  very nice.  i ended up having the toyota dealer install it because of the need to disassemble the center console and wiring necessary. Very happy with the finished product and nothing to bang the shin on either. 
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2018 at 4:56pm
for some reason i had to repair the postimage links to my pics.Thumbs Down  they seem to be working now.  My links were .org and should be .cc apparently.  Anybody had that happen before ?
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 11:32am
Re-mounted the box for batteries.  Now it sits down in there like it should even with WDH.

TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 11:51am
i almost have all of the valves and supplies to install the recirculating hot water concept that Off Grid came up with. I thing the optimal install point is on the cold water line after the "T" to the hot water heater as indicated in the pic.  Really tight, about 8 inches of room and the pex 90s will need about 1" each for install.  i am planning to use two motorized ball valves in this project. one is a normal closed valve that returns to closed when power is off.  This valve will be controlled by a thermostat.  The second motorized ball valve will control the cold water normal supply and be off when cold weather and open in normal above freezing weather. I am planning to dump the returning water via the overflow line to the fresh water tank.  my plan is to assemble all the valves and t's and then basically plug into the two 90s that i add to the fresh water line and then add the T to the overflow line. 
More pics to come.

TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 1:46pm
Sounds awesome Texman, keep us posted!
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 2:16pm
off grid

do you know if those thermostats have a memory if power is off?  i was thinking of using the power to the pump to run the thermostat.
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 4:22pm
Yes they do. I picked the power for mine from the power to the propane side of the water heater. If your tstats came like mine there were no instructions, I had to hunt for a little to find them online. I guess that's to be expected for $4 each or so. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 8:57am
the valve for recirculating hot water using the on board water pump is pictured.  The top valve is a normal closed valve that will be linked to an identical valve (not shown) at the rear of the pod at the rear kitchen.  these two valves are controlled via a thermostat to open when temps are near freezing and remain closed when temps are not close to freezing. the valves draw 30ma each to remain open, so they low energy and should be suitable for boondocking in colder weather.   The valve at the rear will be the mixing valve for the hot water to return via the cold water lines and dump into the fresh water tank via the overflow line when both valves are open and the third valve is closed (the valve at the bottom of the pic.). 
The valve at the bottom is a two wire reverse polarity ball valve that will be controlled by a DPDT switch mounted with the rest of the pod switches by the stereo panel.  This valve controls whether the fresh water flows normally (as in warm weather with cold/hot mixing at the point of use) or stops the cold water and then the other thermostatically controlled switches react to the temperature to open and close to circulate water to prevent freezing. This valve only uses power when opening or closing.  Once it reaches each state, it uses no power. the idea is to automate the cold weather function as best i can and be able to return to the normal configuration with ease.  Some of the valves are not easy to get to.  And, i still like the idea of having separate cold and hot water available when needed. 
I used pex fittings which are easy, but are not cheap.  They are nice in the tight settings that this has to be placed since they are simply push to connect.  more pics to come.

TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 8:59am
the manual ball valve is for controlling the flow of water that returns to the overflow line since it is gravity fed to the holding tank.  pic of test fit..  pretty tight 

TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 33>