R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTexman 182g Mods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 33>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
texman View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Texman 182g Mods
    Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 9:25am
we had freeze warnings overnight.  so, i turned on the recirc system only, not the hot water heater. That way only the fresh tank water and unheated water in water heater tank would recirc as needed and use no propane.  I figured this would be fine since no extreme lows expected, only around 32 deg and the tank water should be around 55 deg from well water. 

We hit 32 deg around 4 am and stayed there until about 9 am, so five hours.  The sensor in the supply line was at 37deg at 8 am.  Winds blowing 10-15 mph throughout the freezing hours.  I wasn't in the pod, but i don't think the recirc ever came on since the set point is at 34 deg.  We are supposed to freeze tonight and saturday night.  The saturday freeze should be down in the 20s. 

it is nice to have this as the temps fluctuate around freezing and being able to leave the water in the pod and be ready to go.  It should really open up some boondocking possibilities for us at higher elevations.  Everyone seems to complain about the heater noise, but it doesn't seem that bad to me. it only takes a few minutes to heat up the small pod.  So i am hoping i have at least a 3 season pod for boondocking.  I don't really want to camp in the snow anyway.  Tongue
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 7:03am
The recirc system does the same thing as the pads but much more efficiently and more securely because you're directly heating the water in the fresh tank and all the water lines. You can either use propane or 120Vac as the heat source since the water heater has both options.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 3:06pm
Oh yeah, I know they draw a lot of power...but in those situations below freezing, here at home and camping with electric hookups, it would save me from draining the fresh water tank or winterizing for just a few weeks.
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 1:31pm
i stayed away from the heat pads because they are power hogs and really only usable when on shore power.  I prefer to boondock so i went with insulation and recirc water to deal with freezing temps. 
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 1:07pm
I might be interested in insulating the fresh tank similar to what you did, and the supply pipe, but I intend to also use a heated pad under the tank, keeping it simple, at least in theory. I already re-arranged the fresh tank drain and the fresh water supply tube...the drain tube on mine was rigid, and hung down below the axle, even after the axle lift. (no jokes please!) Tongue

I have also insulated the supply tube with regular foam pipe-wrap, I figure it can't hurt! 
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 10:49am
Pod Party sounds good, the surrounding states can have the other party.  Wink

The membrane material on the tank is TPO Roofing.  Thermoplastic Polyolefin (TPO) is a single-ply reflective roofing membrane made from polyprophylene and ethylene-propylene rubber polymerized together.  It is 60 mil thick and tough stuff.  it is not the easiest to work with as far as wrapping a water tank on an Rpod, but that is definitely not the intended use for the stuff either.  it normally comes in 10 foot wide rolls in various lengths.  i have a friend in the roofing business that let me have some.  cuts easily with a new razor.  Scissors work but a slow and hard to cut.  i mechanically fastened the TPO to 1" square aluminum tubing that i mounted to the frame at the front and rear of the Fresh water tank. and then fastened the TPO to the POD frame on each end.  The TPO covers the tank including the fresh water supply line.  The fresh water supply line is insulated with Rubber pipe insulation as well.   The Tstat sensor that controls the valves to allow recirculating water is on the supply line close to the tank elbow.  
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 12:08am
We need to have a Panhandle Pod Party or something. (not pot party, POD party!)

Clown

Also, I'd like to know more about that membrane you used on the tank.
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 9:13am
started with one tank open that weighed 26.4 lbs at 8:45pm Friday and weighed again at 6am 04/01/2019 and had 26.0 lbs.  So .4 lbs of propane used to keep water heater at 78 deg.  This morning temps about 36 deg and the tank sensor read 40.8deg.  So not sure it ever cycled very much at all.  not a good test period, but it did get below freezing for several hours. 

TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
IdahoBoy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 8:40pm
Thanks! That is what I was hoping. I like easy. 
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 8:22pm
KT20MNT Flame king. Bought it on amazon. Plumbing is easy just make sure you use the correct tape or compound on the non compression fittings. Holler if you have questions
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 33>