R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAir Conditioner use - West Coast Podders

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Air Conditioner use - West Coast Podders
    Posted: 11 Dec 2016 at 12:54pm
Hello group,

We are going to order our R-Pod this winter - spring and I'm trying to decide on a few options. Most importantly, how many of you West Coast folks use your air conditioner? We are in Northern California, almost always dry camp. Even if we were in RV Park, I'm not sure we would ever need the A/C. So, I wanted to get feedback from the group. I'm thinking of leaving the A/C out and possibly install another Fantastic Fan in it's place. That way I could use it with 12V, Solar, etc. This would save a little weight. We probably will omit the Microwave / convection oven as well. 
We are currently torn between the 178 and 179. We like the U shaped dinette and additional outside storage in the 178, but the big kitchen in the 179 is nice. If we omit the microwave we would gain storage in the kitchen as well.
Thanks for the feedback!

Steve, Vicki and Bodie
ronahue View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2016 at 1:40pm
We have a 179 we prefer state and national park campgrounds which often means no 110 so no air conditioning. The air conditioning becomes a must when we travel from our home near Boston to Colorado and beyond because we often find ourselves driving long days then doing a quick overnight at a crowded KOA or other campground near the highway where the noise and layout of the campsites as well the heat means you need AC for a good nights sleep. We probably use it 5 or 6 times a year but when you need it you really need it. If you are comfortable you can avoid or live with those situations then the only other consideration I can think of is resale value. I believe not having the microwave may also affect resale value.

As far as 178 versus 179 we love our 179 we feel it is perfect for two people. We find we have more storage space than we need and we did a 6 week trip last summer. We have camped some 120 nights since May of 2015. In my opinion it is strictly a two person trailer. 
Ron & Sharon
2015 R-Pod 179
2022 Nissan Frontier

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message but a billion electrons were really agitated
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2016 at 3:39pm
I agree with Ron. We use our A/C a lot when we head south and at Cape Hatteras. Not so much in Vermont of New Hampshire.
I really like the large kitchen nd the large amount of interior storage ( kitchen area).
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
SteveF View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2016 at 3:56pm
Leo, I would totally understand that. If I was on the East Coast, or planning on spending time in that direction, A/C would be mandatory. We camp in the Sierra's, north into Oregon and on the coast so I'm thinking it would be a waste.
I'm certainly open though. 
Steve, Vicki and Bodie
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2016 at 5:29pm
i guess im confused on the air conditioner debate.  with the exception of initial cost of purchasing, it doesn't take up any room(whether you use it or not).  maybe im missing something.Confusedhogone  
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2016 at 5:57pm
We camp mainly in the TN/AL area, I do not use my AC much even in summer.  The micro we use a great deal when possible.  RPod does well with fans at night.  Fans do well with humidity too.  We are active and not in the TT during day much, more use the AC for our English Bulldog.  My only thought is resale value, without the amenities your initial buy cost will be down, but your resale or trade-in will suffer. Just my thinking, better to have when time comes to sell or trade.  BTW I have a generator so do not require 110 campsite.
SteveF View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2016 at 6:41pm
Sorry, I wasn't at all clear. My thoughts were to skip the A/C and possibly install another 12V fan that could be used where ever we camp, with a couple of 6V batteries and sustained with solar. There is a bit of weight savings as well, but not at all significant. I'm curious if anyone out in this neck of the woods even uses the A/C.
Steve, Vicki and Bodie
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2016 at 9:04pm
I am not from your part of the country but special ordered our 177 back in January 2011 without A/C, without entertainment system, and without microwave/convection oven.  I still work as a golf course superintendent in northern Michigan so our camping usually fall in the shoulder months of April-May and September - November.  We do some weekend camping trips of 2 days in the summer as I work 12 days on 2 days off.  We have had a total of 2 times that A/C would have been really nice, once in Iowa and another time in Oklahoma, both times the temps stayed in the mid 80's with high humidity during the evening.  Needless to say, sleep eluded my wife and me.  Like you we normally dry camp so we couldn't use all that anyway unless we purchased a generator, but we like to go simple and we enjoy basic camping.  For us to move up from pop-up camping for 29 years we feel like we are spoiled rotten in the pod.  We enjoy it as it is, no regrets and usually camp about 30 days/year.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2016 at 9:05pm
Forgot to mention that in place of where the A/C is, the factory installed a basic crank up vent in its place.  Functional and lets additional light in.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply