Topic ClosedNew R-pod full-timer!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New R-pod full-timer!
    Posted: 16 Dec 2016 at 9:11am
Originally posted by TehachapiJanet

I currently have a T@G and initially was going to get a T@B but now am looking at the 171.  Do you have any advice or warnings?  I travel by myself with my two dogs. 

Thanks for any help,  Janet

Since you are already in that "group".. LOL

Have you looked at the T@B 400? Interesting alternative.. I think the wet bath is a bit better executed.
Chris and Sarah View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2016 at 6:31am
Janet,

From what I understand, the tab is just a bigger version of the tag, so I imagine you know what you're getting into when it comes to little guy. 

As far as the 171 is concerned, what you're getting is SPACE.  Wonderful, cavernous space compared to a tab (and especially a tag).  There's no need to set up your bed every night and the table every morning -- it's two distinct spaces!  The 171 has a real screen door -- one that will keep dogs in, whereas the tab just has a screen mesh that pulls across the open door space -- it's fine for people, but a dog inclined to chase something it sees outside will burst right through it.  The kitchen and storage in the 171 allows you to actually cook a meal, where the tab's counter space and kitchen storage is severely limited.  Finally, there's the size of the tanks.  You can only boondock for 2 or 3 days max in a tab, and it's not about the battery -- you'll either run out of fresh water or fill up your gray or black water.

What you're losing with the 171 is build quality.  The reason the price of a tab and a 171 are comparable is that the tab is just so well put together.  The walls are thicker, the wood is nicer, and the overall fit and finish of the interior just feels a notch or 2 above the Rpod.  Now, I'm new to the Rpod, so I really can't say anything negative about the durability.  Just my first impressions.

Hope that's helpful!

TehachapiJanet View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2016 at 1:22am
I currently have a T@G and initially was going to get a T@B but now am looking at the 171.  Do you have any advice or warnings?  I travel by myself with my two dogs. 

Thanks for any help,  Janet

Janet
Tehachapi

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2016 at 8:30am
@twday66, we have a PO Box -- at one point we went six months before we were able to get back to it, and it was a GIANT BIN OF GARBAGE.  

You don't think about what a giant waste of paper the mail is until you see half of a year of it all in once place, and you keep 2 envelopes and throw the rest away.

Of course, all the important things are handled online.  For the VERY FEW situations where someone has insisted on a physical address, we used our old neighbor.

Other than that, from what I've heard the Escapees have a mail forwarding service for a reasonable price where you can use their physical address and once a month they'll send you a package of all your mail, or more frequently for something important.

twday66 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2016 at 8:24am
My wife and I were just talking about that sort of life today. We're thinking of cutting loose from our home and responsibilities after a couple of downsized years in a small city. I'd like to know how you handle the "address" issues for Social Security, bank accounts, etc without a fixed home. So many questions, so little time.
2014 R-POD 179
Nissan Frontier SE Supercab 4L 6-cyl, manual transmission
Yamaha WR250X & Suzuki V-Strom
Kayaks, canoes, bicycles, guitars, and a mobile recording rig all have to fit somewhere.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 8:58pm
Thanks everyone for the kind words!
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 8:57pm
A couple months ago in October we met a couple from church who sold their home and have been full timing in their fifth-wheel.  We were up on Lake Superior near Au Train (UP of Michigan) and their unit made our 177 look very small.  This thing had 3 axles, weighs in at 19,500 lb empty, has 4 slides, and is 45 foot long, wow.  I told my friend I wouldn't want to haul something that significant across the fruited plain, but he enjoys it.  We hope to travel more in a couple years once I retire, for now we enjoy using our pod about 30 days a year.  Good to hear you are enjoying your MANSION and am sure you have many great memories and stories to share.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 8:09pm
Fantastic to hear. Wish i could full time it, and criss cross the U.S. like you guys in my 172. Maybe someday i'll get lucky/
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 8:05pm
Welcome to the group!! Congrats on your 171!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 8:02pm
Congratulations and welcome!
We aren't quite ready to full-time. We have made some significant trips. I am hoping to make a trip to Yellowstone in 2018.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>