R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMy r-pod wet the bed! (window leak)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: My r-pod wet the bed! (window leak)
    Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 3:10am
Went out to winterize for the first time (2012 rpod 177, purchased used this year) and found a corner of the mattress was wet. Plywood underneath had started to get mold spots too. I guess we're replacing both the mattress and the plywood decking under it.

Given there was a little moisture on the rear window curtain, I believe this is the likely entry point... what kind of sealant would you suggest for trying to remedy this? And what are the walls made of, in other words do I need to be concerned about mold developing between layers of the wall?
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 10:10am
Simplest things first: Was the window shut tight?

Are all the wipes between the fixed and sliding portions of the window intact? Are the weep holes (slots along the bottom frame on the outside) open or blocked?

Was your 'Pod parked on a slope? If so, was the side that leaked the side that was higher?

Check the screws that are around the frame on the inside. Are they all tight? Is the frame on the inside and outside pulled up tight against the wall?

We had a wet bed once also. It happened when a storm went through during the night and we had the window open because we were dry camping and it was warm. I was able to dry both the bed and decking out by using a fan to circulate air. If it has not been wet long, this may be a way for you to postpone buying a new mattress (unless you want to upgrade it anyway).

The walls are made of an aluminum frame with lauan plywood covered with a fiberglass skin for the outside wall, the wallpaper on the inside, and foam insulation filling the space between them. It would depend on where the leak was to know if there would be a possibility of mold. If the leak was on the inside (window side) of the frame, then it is likely no water got into the wall. If the leak was on the outside (wall) side of the frame, then getting that dried out would be good. The foam is not likely to develop mold, but the plywood would be at risk, not only of developing mold, but of having the adhesive that keeps the fiberglass skin attached weakened by the moisture.

See this posting about an R-Pod Plant Tour to see how the walls are made. Here's a video tour.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 10:11am
The walls are a sandwich of foam, azdel, fiberglass and aluminum framing.. HOWEVER the roof, is not.

The roof and front and back curves are built up of wood framing. If you are sure the leak is around the back window, clean all the silicone sealant from around the window, and recaulk the top and sides.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 10:22am
Is the azdel something relatively recent? The information I saw was that the walls used lauan. If so, when did this change?

Edit:
The video about R-Pod construction on the Forest River's R-Pod pages states that lauan is used, not azdel.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Jawn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 11:08am
Originally posted by StephenH

Simplest things first: Was the window shut tight?

Are all the wipes between the fixed and sliding portions of the window intact? Are the weep holes (slots along the bottom frame on the outside) open or blocked?

Was your 'Pod parked on a slope? If so, was the side that leaked the side that was higher?

Check the screws that are around the frame on the inside. Are they all tight? Is the frame on the inside and outside pulled up tight against the wall?

We had a wet bed once also. It happened when a storm went through during the night and we had the window open because we were dry camping and it was warm. I was able to dry both the bed and decking out by using a fan to circulate air. If it has not been wet long, this may be a way for you to postpone buying a new mattress (unless you want to upgrade it anyway).

The walls are made of an aluminum frame with lauan plywood covered with a fiberglass skin for the outside wall, the wallpaper on the inside, and foam insulation filling the space between them. It would depend on where the leak was to know if there would be a possibility of mold. If the leak was on the inside (window side) of the frame, then it is likely no water got into the wall. If the leak was on the outside (wall) side of the frame, then getting that dried out would be good. The foam is not likely to develop mold, but the plywood would be at risk, not only of developing mold, but of having the adhesive that keeps the fiberglass skin attached weakened by the moisture.

See this posting about an R-Pod Plant Tour to see how the walls are made. Here's a video tour.
The window in question is the rear window, which doesn't open. There was a slight tilt toward the left, and the leak occurred somewhere on the downhill side of the back bed corner.

I didn't see any screws... are they hidden, or is this window held in by other means? 

StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 11:51am
You might also be looking at some condensation run-off.

Screws are on the inside, not around the ouside of the frame, but on the recessed part of the frame. Think of the frame as a two-part channel being clamped around the wall. A cross section would look like a C with the wall being in the inside part of the C and the window being like this ----C.

Here's a picture that might help:

This is a picture of the kitchen window in our RP-179, which also does not open. Pardon me as I assumed it was a window in the wall, not in the rear. That modifies my suggestion to agree with checking the factory caulking. I ended up removing the factory silicone sealant and applying new sealant along the top and two sides of our kitchen window after seeing gaps in the factory sealant. I also had to tighten the screws as the ones along the top and right side were loose. What complicates this is that a flat window is installed in a curved surface. It would have been better for Forest River to have put a flat frame in which the window could sit, but that might have had its own complications.

The part about ensuring the weep holes are clear is still valid. Also, make sure the weep holes are on the bottom. I don't think it is unprecedented for the window to have been installed upside-down.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
podgirl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 2:45pm
Have had the back of my r pod leak two different times. The first time I was told it was from the spoiler with lights on top. They said some of the screws were not even connected. They made sure they were tight and caulked. Later found water on the same area and took it to a dealer that has the technology to pressurize the cabin, apply a soap mixture to outside and then gave me pictures to show the leaks. They wanted a ridiculous price, $800 so I brought it home removed old caulk from areas that showed bubbles and then applied flex seal.  Only had it rained on once and no leaks. Hoping for the best.
Sally
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 3:57pm

Is the azdel something relatively recent? The information I saw was that the walls used lauan. If so, when did this change?

Edit:
The video about R-Pod construction on the Forest River's R-Pod pages states that lauan is used, not azdel.

Sorry, yes, luan, in fact now,a second layer on the outside, under the fiberglass roof. My mind was on the new camper.. Wink
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 8:00pm
I looked up Adzel. It looks like a good product for RV use. Perhaps Forest River will switch to it. I suspect it is significantly more expensive than lauan though.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 8:02pm

I looked up Adzel. It looks like a good product for RV use. Perhaps Forest River will switch to it. I suspect it is significantly more expensive than lauan though.

Yes.. well.. our new TT is significantly more expensive..  LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>