R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow to drain freshwater tank on 178

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to drain freshwater tank on 178
    Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 6:57pm
I have been reading the forums and still can't figure out how. We have a R-Pod 178 and don't know how to empty the freshwater tank. At least I think it has water in it, it sloshes when we back it up. We bought the pod second-hand and probably got too much info at once. Do we have to have the water pump on to drain the FW tank? We have camped once but used a hookup so we didn't use the FW. My husband remembers the seller telling us to be careful running the water pump because we could burn it out. So we are not sure how to use it. I can't seem to find the answer that answers the question. I've watched videos and read lots online, but am confused at best. Since we live in south TX we won't be winterizing so there is no need for the pink stuff I keep reading about. I feel really silly asking how to drain it, but I need to figure it out. Thanks in advance.
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 7:43pm
Look under the pod and you'll see the white plastic fresh water tank.  It's white and it's the only tank that has a little nipple on the bottom with a screw on cap.  Unscrew the cap and stand back.  It may take a pair of of pliers to turn the cap, but long term, you should be able to screw it back on by hand and loosen it by hand next time.  You'll have reach a bit.

You never need to put antifreeze in the tank, but you should drain it from time to time and sanitize it with a bleach solution.  And drain it if temps are going to hit the teens.  It's really easy.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Hollygold View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 7:59pm
Thanks TT, I had looked under and seen that tank and that's what I thought was the FW tank. I unscrewed the cap but only a couple drops came out. But that sounds like where the sloshing noise came from. Before we left the campground we drained the black and grey water tanks and once home we hooked up to our house water trying to work out a water pressure problem (it was the filter). Then I dumped the grey water again and unscrewed one of the low water drains. I couldn't unscrew the other one though. Where else could water be in the pod if not the FW tank?
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by Hollygold

......My husband remembers the seller telling us to be careful running the water pump because we could burn it out.......

The water pump is designed to run dry. It will not be damaged. It may take a bit to recover it's prime again, but it will run dry without damage.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Hollygold View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 9:11pm
Perhaps the drain is clogged. I guess I could add some water to the FW tank (just to be sure it had some in it) and then turn on the water pump. I'm guessing the pump doesn't need to be on then to drain it?
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 9:41pm
No, gravity will drain the water with the drain cap off.  You can poke a chopstick or something similar up the drain if you think it might be clogged.  Adding water may help flush out the tank too.

The sloshing you hear could be the water in the hot water heater. It should be drained too.  It takes a 1 1/16th socket to take the anode rod out to drain the tank (and inspect the anode rod).  If you do decide to use antifreeze for the plumbing, make sure the bypass valves for the water heater are adjusted correctly so you don't get antifreeze in the tank.  And, be sure to use RV antifreeze, that's non-toxic, NOT the stuff you put in your car's radiator!

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 9:46pm
If and when you drain your hot water heater, make sure your water pump is off and as Tars mentioned above, make sure the bypass valves (3 of them) are adjusted so that water will not enter the hot water tank.  Be certain to open the pressure valve at the top of the tank to relieve any pressure before using your 1 1/16" socket to drain the tank.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Hollygold View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 9:55pm
Thanks all, it sounds like I have more forum entries to read and videos to watch!
PodWa View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 10:15pm
When I winterized our RP-179, I noticed that a considerable amount of water remained in the fresh water tank after I removed the plug and all the water seemed to have drained out.  I just ran the pump until water stopped coming out of the faucet and let it go at that.  I did also drain the hot water heater, open the low point drains and ran the pink stuff through all the lines.
Hollygold View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 10:36pm
Thanks PodWa, I wondered about running the pump. I guess I have my work cut out for me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>