Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRPod Shopper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: RPod Shopper
    Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 12:22pm

Greetings from an R-Pod shopper and potential future owner!

I'm considering an RPod as my first RV. Here's my situation... Some of it, I fear, borders on "Too Much Information", but life is what it is.

I'm 56, single, retired, and can comfortably afford to own a small trailer and use it frequently. I'd mostly be using it alone, with maybe now and again a friend or date tagging along. Currently I live in Tennessee, and my potential tow vehicle is a 2015 Dodge Caravan in excellent condition, rated for 3450 pounds and 345 on the hitch. While I'm aware that the RPod 180-- the model I think I'm interested in-- is within these limits, and that at least a few people on the RPod forum tow with this same setup and seem happy with it... A lot of other people here also say it's foolish to even try. Plus, I'm worried about how much it might cost to set up my van with a transmission cooler and a trailer brake controller, as currently it has neither. I'm also planning to sell my home soon and relocate further south. Since I don't know exactly where I want to end up yet, I plan to pretty much sell everything and take a multi-month trip to sort of look places over and try them out. By the nature of things... I'm eventually going to _have_ to cross several mountain ranges to do this effectively, which worries me. Is my van realistically up to this, or not? It should be noted that I tend to travel light, have very cheap tastes, and don't carry a megaton of stuff with me. For example, I used to go touring all over the eastern USA on a 400 cc scooter fairly happily, overnighting at the least expensive lodgings I came across.

Second, I keep hearing (here on the forums) that RPods pull badly due to their height, that you "hit a wall" at 50 MPH. Are there other brands/models/styles that pull better, that I ought to be considering instead? "Slow" doesn't terribly bother me, but potential excessive wear and tear and fuel consumption does. All I really need is a comfortable bed, toilet, ventilation and shower, plus a sink and counter to make sandwiches or set a slow cooker on (when parked). I think I could even be perfectly happy dispensing with a fridge and using an ultra-efficient 12-volt cooler instead. I'd also very much like to be able to boondock at Wal-Mart and take quick naps or prepare quick meals at rest stops. Would a folding hard-side RV suit my needs better? Does Wal-Mart complain about those? Are there any that have showers?

Mostly, to wrap things up, I'm looking for a viable Motel 6 substitute on wheels that doesn't involve an undue amount of hardship. All advice is welcome, and triply so experienced advice!

One final issue, not for the squeamish... As a large man who eats large meals, I'm very concerned about RV toilet setups in general. The hole in the bottom of the ones I've seen, frankly, doesn't look very large. Is this a genuine issue, or am I worried about nothing? Sorry to be gross, but... It worries me, and it's something that I just can't get around asking someone somewhere sometime about.

This looks like a truly wonderful forum, full of truly wonderful people. Thanks in advance for your replies!

Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 2:50pm
Welcome to the group!! We tow with a 2013 Grand Caravan with the Pentastar engine, put out 283 horse power. We have no trouble towing our 179.We regularly tow up and down the east coast along with the mountains of Vermont and New Hampshire.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
finder9 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 10:30pm
Can't tell you about towing with your car but I can tell you about hard side popups. Aliner, Rockwood, and some others are available.  The high ends have full bath and showers installed.  My second Aliner had the full bath.  The bath was roomier than our current Rpod (179) but not as big as the 180.  We changed to a Rpod because we didn't want to have to put it up and down anymore.  Arthritis has had an impact on the shoulders.  Plus we like to be able to stop for lunch and a bathroom break. Hard to do in a pop up. And it's easier to deal with an Rpod in the rain.  We looked around for several years before deciding on the Rpod.  We're still getting used to it but so far so good.  Initial shakedown trip was 400 miles and had no problems.

The hard side pop up is very easy to tow.  Did it for years and a lot of miles without any special hitch or sway bar but we used a full size conversion van.  And they can be pricey. Many of their options come included with the Rpod.

Take your time to decide and look at everything available to you.  Aliner has an owner's group page that has a lot of info as well as a "For Sale" section.  Good luck!
Jack
2017 Rpod 179
2015 Dodge Ram
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 11:03pm
I use a wind deflector to help with the wind resistance. I also limit my speed to 60 mph. The reason for doing so is because that is what PurpleLine, the maker of the AeroPlus deflector says I should do to prevent damage to the deflector. I have occasionally gone a bit faster, but only for short periods. I have no doubt that the deflector can survive 65 mph or even 70 mph. However, a second reason for sticking with 60 mph is that it seems to be a sweet spot for moving along well and still getting reasonable mileage. Without the AeroPlus and trying to hit 65-70 mph (especially with a headwind), I was getting an average of about 11 mpg. With the AeroPlus and limiting my speed to 60 mph, I am getting an average of about 15 mpg. Third, 60 mph is a comfortable speed at which to be towing.

An alternative to the AeroPlus is the Icon AeroShield. Check them out and see if one of the two might be something that you would wish to purchase.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Lapine Rider View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 1:17am
Thank you guys very much!

I looked at an RP 180 today, and definitely liked what I saw. I can absolutely see myself as a future owner, probably in the next few weeks. I also think I like the 2017 1/2 improvements enough that I'll not even bother shopping for a used bargain, as is my usual habit. The shower is tighter than I'd like-- I'm a big guy, as mentioned before-- but not to the point of being totally unusable. In fact, I'm going to look at options and upgrades on another webpage as soon as I'm done here. Suggestions are welcome!

I'm extra-grateful for the towing advice. Thank you especially for that! I've towed a lot of boats and cargo-trailers in my time, but never anything tall and light like this. And, more importantly, never with anything but a pickup. So the confidence-boost was most welcome.
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 5:15pm
Any specific questions about the grand caravan towing, don't hesitate to yell.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 6:25pm
I priced out a brake controller and tranny cooler today, Leo. Also looked at the wind deflectors mentioned by StephenH. I plan to get the work done next week, then hope for a Christmas sale to buy the 180 itself. About the only thing that might change my mind is if I can finally find a Casita locally for sale in good shape. The Casita is the only contender left, and rapidly fading due to a combination of lack of used units available on the local market and incredibly high prices on the new ones.

Your help is again much appreciated, everyone!
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 6:44pm
That's a good start. My sister is also looking for a casita, anyone she does find is way over priced.
I think you will be impressed with how well the rpods tow. The only bad part is your mileage will be greatly affect ted by the wind. We average 13-14 in Vermont/New Hampshire mountains and 14-17 once we get down to Massachusetts and below.
Plenty of power for driving on the interstate etc.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 9:25pm
Whatever you do, don't go on Craigslist and fall for a sob story about someone needing to sell a Casita due to family hardship. I learned the hard way that any Casita (or other Fiberglass Egg) you find at a low price is almost definitely a SCAM. If you can't lay eyes on it and see the title, don't believe it. I learned a $2,000 lesson. Angry
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by StephenH

Whatever you do, don't go on Craigslist and fall for a sob story about someone needing to sell a Casita due to family hardship. I learned the hard way that any Casita (or other Fiberglass Egg) you find at a low price is almost definitely a SCAM. If you can't lay eyes on it and see the title, don't believe it. I learned a $2,000 lesson. Angry

Ouch! Yeah, I've had my scam-sense tickled once already over a Casita, and now will be more careful still. Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>