R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTires

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tires
    Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 4:54pm
My Carlisle Radial Trails are stamped 130 KPH (81 MPH) and 65 PSI cold. Just SA.
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 1:06pm
My 2016 179's factory tires were rated for 75 mph (stamped on the side) but that didn't stop them from blowing out at that speed. The days were pretty hot then, so I'm sure road temperature contributed.

The Carlisle D-load tires are rated for 82 mph, I believe. They also run cooler because they have more air in them (65 psi vs. 50 psi for C-load).
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by ragadas

I've also done some research on replacement tires and in looking for higher speed ratings, have found this; "Industry standards dictate tires with the ST designation are speed rated to 65 MPH (104 km/h) under normal inflation and load conditions."

With many of the national interstates having a speed limit of 70 MPH, I wonder that none of the trailer tire manufacturers have followed with higher speed ratings on their tires. Does anyone know what safety factor is figured into the ratings, and can they be safely run at 70+ MPH?

Well, I'm not going to say that I speed OR would recommend anyone do so but, I do find myself in the left lane, frequently.

That said, I've had no issues with my tires at or above 70mph.   

sailor323 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 8:07am
I don't like going faster than 60MPH
ragadas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 8:00am
I've also done some research on replacement tires and in looking for higher speed ratings, have found this; "Industry standards dictate tires with the ST designation are speed rated to 65 MPH (104 km/h) under normal inflation and load conditions."

With many of the national interstates having a speed limit of 70 MPH, I wonder that none of the trailer tire manufacturers have followed with higher speed ratings on their tires. Does anyone know what safety factor is figured into the ratings, and can they be safely run at 70+ MPH?
Dave & Chris
RP 179
2011 Tacoma Access Cab
V6 6 speed manual.
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 10:21am
Originally posted by mcarter

My 2015 178 came with Grand Ride 205/75R14s, C rated.  I honestly had no problem with them.  BUT I didn't like the sidewall flex and went to Carlisle tires due to fact I could get them in a D rate.  I feel safer.

My wife didn't like the look of the C-rated sidewall either, so it didn't take any convincing to get her to agree to replace all three tires, even though two of them were practically new (C-rated, bought on the aforementioned trip).

I had never heard of Carlisle until I was shopping for tires. I did some research and they specialize in heavy equipment tires. With that sort of expertise, they should be able to (and do) build a good trailer tire.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2016 at 8:53pm
+1 on Carlisle Load Range D (8 ply rating) tires. I recently traded them as I did not care for the sidewall flex or the wear pattern on the load range C tires that came with the trailer. We had about 10,000 miles of towing. Even though they were properly inflated, the outer edges of the tread were wearing like they were underinflated. The Load Range D tires look better and I believe they will not have the same problem. I did have one of the old tires pick up a screw. That was repaired before our last long trip. With some of the reports of tires failing, I got concerned about ur old ones. That is the primary reason I traded for the Load Range D tires instead of going for another set of load range C tires.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
snorris View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2016 at 8:43pm
Thanks for all the info. Really appreciate it.
sailor323 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2016 at 8:19pm
I don't know.  We put many thousands of miles on the factory tires with no problems.  We replaced them due to issues that had nothing to do with the tires themselves
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2016 at 7:36pm
Will have to check them out, we are all for safety!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>