FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedShopping for a new TV

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shopping for a new TV
    Posted: 27 Nov 2016 at 11:27pm
Hi!
We are looking for a new towing vehicle for our R179. We want to replace our 2002 Honda Odyssey.
We would like to purchase a TV that can potentially tow a heavier TT if we replace our R179 with a larger TT.

The TVs on our list are:
Chevy Traverse
Honda Pilot
Chevy Tahoe
Ford Expedition
Nissan Pathfinder
Dodge Durango

We are looking for advice on which direction to go...a full SUV or a midsize.

We are thinking thar a full SUV maybe a overkill also, it's difficult getting in and out of the vehicle. We are not big people.
David and Kris
2015 RPod 179
2002 Honda Odyssey LX
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 6:13am

Pulling most any travel trailer is a big job for the vehicle. Let's say, for example, you are considering another/different big job:

You want to install a swimming pool in your back yard and need to dig a big hole to do so. You can dig the hole with:
1. A spoon from your kitchen drawer
2. A hand shovel from your garden shed
3. A backhoe

The job CAN be done with any of the three. Myself...I'm using the backhoe. I'll be sipping beverage, while floating on my rubber duck - while those using methods #1 & #2 are still digging.

Full size, V8, tow capacity of at least twice the actual anticipated load..........you'll do fine.
IL-Podders View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 12:12pm
We towed our 179 several times with our 2002 GMC Envoy.  It did OK.  We recently replaced the Envoy with a 2016 Tahoe with the towing package.   We have towed twice with the new vehicle.  It did very well.  In fact, the V8 got better mpg than the 6 in the Envoy did.  11-12 in the Envoy and 14-15 with the Tahoe.  I agree with David.  I prefer having more towing capacity than less.
Marv-N-Kathy
2015 179 RPod
2016 Chevy Tahoe
Capt Kidd View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 12:55pm
We have a 179 and have towed it behind my sisters Honda Pilot and it worked OK except the mileage went from 24 mpg not towing to less than 11 towing.

We also have a Dodge 3500 turbo diesel that we use to tow our Montana 5th wheel (15,000 lbs). When I tow the 179 behind it I still get the same mileage as when I am not towing.

Bigger is better.
The Pirate's Pod
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 3:14pm
Something else to consider is how many gears the transmission has. More is generally better because the transmission may not have to downshift as far when going up grades, thereby saving some fuel.
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 3:20pm
Well said David!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 6:05pm
Of those, I would choose the Expedition.. ;)

But not just for the obvious reason of having had and towed with 3 of them.. It's also pretty future proof. There is at least some chance that, in the future, you may decide on more camper.. easier to take the camper hit $$$ wise, if you don't also have to buck up for a new truck too...

(he says as he is taking a break from prepping the big eX for just such a thing Wink )
kansasfrogs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 6:07pm
We have a Honda Pilot which tows a 182G, we get around fine on relatively flat ground, but haven't taken it to the mountains because it doesn't feel like it would have enough pulling power.  It's rated for 4500# but don't want to max it out.  Our Pod weighs around 3100 carefully loaded!
FROGGY
shroomer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 9:00pm
What Furpod said.

If you KNOW that you'll always be happy towing a single axle r-pod, then go midsize. If there's a chance that you're going to want to go bigger, then plan ahead with the tow vehicle. After looking around at slightly larger campers, I found that you move to tandem axles and weights in the 5,000 - 7,000 pound range. This is at the top or beyond the midsize towing vehicles.

It's a tough call. Bigger is better for towing, but you have to live with the vehicle the rest of the year as well. Good luck.
Larry and Debbie w/Rosie the mutt. Old: '13 177, '06 Silverado V6
New: '15 Whitehawk 20MRB '14 Silverado V8
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 10:46pm
I can give you personal experiences with 3 different tow vehicles.

We started off towing our R Pod 173 with a Chevy Astro Van.  It would definitely tow it-but it was marginal.  It was a strain on the engine, the transmission, the cooling system and the brakes. I felt that if we kept it, we would surely kill our van. So, we sold it and bought a Ford Expedition EL (extended).  It has the factory installed tow package and  has all of the qualities to tow safely and comfortably.  Plus, it carries a lot of gear in an enclosed, conditioned space.  We love it and would recommend it. If you look for one, pay attention to the factory installed  tow package and rear axle ratio.

Also, due to an unexpected medical problem, I had to drive my friend's Honda Pilot and tow his MPG(which is very similar to the Pod) from New York to Atlanta.  I don't know the specs of the Pilot except that it was a 2015 Touring model.  It was better than the van, but still struggled a little on the hills and seemed under powered and did not have adequate brakes.  I can't comment on the transmission wear or cooling system performance.

all 3 vehicles got between 10-12 mpg.  No tow vehicle will give you any gas mileage even close to normal driving ranges.

The tow vehicle makes a huge difference in the overall towing experience. There is a lot of frontal resistance to the Pods.  they are not as aerodynamic as they look.  You need power, strong transmission, adequate cooling system and adequate brakes. Most people need to acceapt a compromise on the new vehicle for a lot of reasons-cost, size, daily driver needs, payload, etc.  Choose what works for you after careful research.  There is everything available from turbo charged 4 cylinders to v-10s.  Expensive mistakes can last several years. 

Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply