R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > Mods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCharging wire - Event Date: 27 Nov 2016 - 10 Dec 2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Charging wire
    Posted: 27 Nov 2016 at 5:51pm
Hi all,
I need assistance. I'm a new soon to be Rpod owner, and I need to run a wire from my battery to my 7 pin plugin.  As this is new to me can anyone tell me the best gauge wire, and should it have an inline fuse or is that on the trailer side? 
Thanks,
Any help is greatly appreciated 
Steve
Firefighter Steve (retired)
2017.5 Rpod 179 (Reepod)
2016 Highlander AWD w/tow pkg.
E2 wdh, prodigy RF brake controller.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2016 at 7:48pm
Why are you running a wire? what is your tow vehicle?
Steve 911 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2016 at 8:31pm
My TV is a 2016 Highlander V-6 with factory tow pkg.  dealer installed hitch and 4 and 7 pin plugin. They did not install a power line from which I could charge my trailer battery while driving, so being the newbe that I am, I figured I would need a line from battery to the 7 pin plugin.  I don't think there is any power at the rear of the Highlander to tap into.  Only brake, tail, running, and directional signals. Am I missing something?
2017.5 Rpod 179 (Reepod)
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2016 at 8:54pm
If it has a tow package and a 7 pin, are you sure it's not sending a charge? If you are sure, then the answer is 10 gauge wire, fused with a 30A. The most basic, and with best possibility for it to cause issues in the future, is a wire right from the alternator or battery positive on your truck. The better way is a relay in line so the charge wire is only hot when the truck is running.

To check that it is or is not charging, start the truck, then use a multimeter to probe the two connections at 1 and 7 o'clock, with the alignment tab as "12 o'clock" you should see voltage. (I just can't imagine a dealer not using the factory harness, which should include a charge wire)
Steve 911 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2016 at 9:53pm
The dealer originally installed the hitch and only a flat 4 pin connector. When I went to pick up my Highlander I saw this and told them to install what i originally asked for, which was, a hitch rated appropriately for the Highlander and the appropriate plugin to tow a travel trailer. So, I think they just moved the wires from the flat 4 pin over to a 7 pin they added. So, I'm left with that.  Since they didn't charge me for anything, I really can't get to angry, and I'm left to my own devices..lol
2017.5 Rpod 179 (Reepod)
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2016 at 10:10pm
Check out eTrailer.com since you will need to get an electric brake controller. You should get the information on wiring there. I don't know if the Highlander will have a specific harness or if you will have to get the generic harness like I did for our Escape. I chose the Hopkins InSIGHT Flex-Mount controller which has worked very well for us. Others choose the Prodigy P3 controller. In any case, you will need a controller for the brakes. Make sure it is a proportional controller.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
sailor323 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2016 at 10:28pm
I'm guessing that the dealer simply tapped into the wires that control the lights (signal, brake, etc.)  If so, those wires are insufficient to charge the battery.  Run a 10 ga wire (positive and negative) to the 7 pin connector.  Put a fuse (25-30 A) on the positive wire at the tow vehicle battery.  It's a pretty simple endeavor.
Steve 911 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2016 at 11:35pm
Thanks. That's pretty straight forward. I just don't look forward to crawling around under the car...lol
2017.5 Rpod 179 (Reepod)
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 6:27am

When it comes to DC, using bigger is better. There is less voltage drop and it can handle more amperage. 10ga. is fine. If I were shopping/purchasing new, I'd look at 8ga., also.

(former FF, EMT, LEO, here. Thanks for your service!)
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 8:18am
OK, so far, near as I can tell, you don't actually KNOW what is back there. Correct? Before we go hacking up the wiring harness etc on a brand new computer controlled modern vehicle, lets make sure we NEED to.

If Toyota did this, I PROMISE they didn't cut into your wiring harness anywhere. If the Highlander actually came with a factory tow package it WILL have a plug in pigtail for the trailer wiring harness. It probably has one in the driver's area for the brake controller too..

Just so you know, with modern cars and trucks, if you go hacking in extra wiring, lights etc, they often will give an error code, possibly even shut down, when they "see" the drop or increase in voltage on that circuit. Really. Your Toyota has more processing power then the Lunar Landing missions had access to.

Just a quick look under the rear, at the back of the Bargman connector and you should be able to follow the wire bundle to see if it goes randomly, or to the factory harness.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>