R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTrailer charging fuse in TV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer charging fuse in TV
    Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 7:56pm
We had 2 6 volt batteries installed last spring and hadn't been able to get out to camp until this fall. We were told that the 6 volts would last about twice as long as the two 12 volt, which is important since we dry camp. We had disconnected the batteries over the summer as instructed by the people who put in the batteries and plugged in the trailer for several days before our trip.  The battery level dropped quickly on both of our short (3 and 4 night) trips. On the second one the meter showed empty when we got home, though the fridge was still running.  Apparently the trailer charging fuse in our Honda Pilot is a 20 amp fuse and it had blown, though no short circuit, so the car was not charging the trailer.  Honda says we can't put in a larger fuse. Has anyone else had this issue and if so, how have you dealt with it?
Carol
177 HRE rpod
2014 Honda Pilot
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 8:49pm
A. Don't run the refrigerator on 12V. Use propane. The 12V use is minimal then.

B. Run a dedicated charging wire to your Bargman (round) connector. At a minimum, use a 10 Gauge or larger wire connected directly to the positive terminal of the TV's battery. Run that to a larger breaker and then to the back to connect in place of the current charging wire. Here's a link for the wiring diagram.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
cgarb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 8:53pm
Thanks! We do use propane  for the refrig. while camping, but the battery while driving.  We understand that it is illegal to drive with the gas tank on.  We'll take a look at the wiring, though we are not DIYers.  It doesn't seem right that the fuse blew, when the Pilot is set up as a towing vehicle. 
Carol
177 HRE rpod
2014 Honda Pilot
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 9:07pm
Did a google search and cannot find any state where it is illegal to run your propane in your TT while driving on roadways.   Have personally driven our 177 through 20+ states and have never seen signage in any of those which states it is illegal to run propane while traveling down the road.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 9:31pm
Ditto!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
JandL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 11:03pm
I have a Honda Ridgeline and only towed it once with the refrigerator on battery and by the time I got to my campsite the battery voltage was low. The Honda's are wired with only a 12 gauge wire and at minimum it needs to be 10 gauge or larger. A 12 gauge wire can not keep the trailer charged up with the refrigerator on. I now tow only with propane on. There are no restriction for towing with propane. Here is a note I posted a while ago

The only restrictions I've read about with operating propane on the highways is in tunnels. (all back on the East cost and Texas)
GENERAL COMMENTS:
Tunnels that go down hill have restrictions to stop and make sure propane is turned off. Tunnels that rise slightly have no restrictions.
Virginia tunnels go down under the water. Propane is heavier than air and in theory could pool in the very bottom of the tunnels. So you need to stop and tell an inspector they are turned off.
Most tunnels that go thru mountains have a slight rise to the middle. That's why you don't have to stop for most of those tunnels.
http://www.rvtripwizard.com/rv-info/propane-tanks-in-tunnels.html
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
cgarb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 11:09pm
Thank you for your input on the gas vs. electric.  Do you think that will take care of the problem of the fuse blowing, with the refrig. on gas instead of the battery?
Carol
177 HRE rpod
2014 Honda Pilot
JandL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 11:27pm
I think the reason your 20 amp fuse blew was your trailer battery was so low it was trying to take all the current your alternator could deliver, causing the fuse to blow. I would not put a higher amp fuse in because the charge current to the trailer battery goes thru a mini relay that can't handle much more than 20 amps. I have had no problems running my refrigerator on propane when towing. I keep my trailer plugged into an outlet I have next to my driveway so the battery is always charging thru the WFCO 8900 Power Center.
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 8:35am
A) the pod tried to pull more amps then 20. Fuse blew. It's what they do.

B) you say you plugged the pod in for a couple days to charge the batteries before going out.. Is the pod stored where it can be left plugged in? THAT is the best way to maintain your batteries. Leave the pod plugged in all the time.

C)Run the fridge on gas. Even in California it isn't illegal. This is one of the myths of RVing that just will not die. YES there are a couple restricted areas, mostly automotive ferries and tunnels in the east, but many of those even are restriction by AMOUNT of propane, and TT's toting a 20 pounder or two are NOT in violation.

D)adding a jumper or bypass wire, 10gauge or better, and fusing it appropriately, may or may not be a problem. MANY modern vehicles will see that as an unexpected draw on the alternator and set a CEL, SVC VCL, or other error response.

E)Letting your batteries sit, for months, disconnected or not, is not good for them. Anything longer then 90 days they should be charged, not trickled, charged.

F) Also, (if you didn't) you need to precool the fridge for a day or two, and precool anything you are going to put in it. It's a small space, with very little thermal mass. It needs as light a work load as possible.
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 8:37am
All excellent points Mark, please stay with this forum, we all appreciate your wealth of knowledge.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>