R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBattery question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery question
    Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 11:56pm
Facing my first winter as a pod owner and and have a question about the battery. Currently we keep the pod plugged in to our garage outlet via extension cord. Is this ok to do over the winter, or are we better off completely disconnecting the battery? We do not have a battery cut-off switch so it would be a full disconnect. 

Any pro or con to just leaving it plugged in?

Thanks for the help!
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 12:02am
No problem at all. That way the battery is always fully charged and ready. The converter in the Pod is a good 3 stage charger and will take good care of the battery. However, you should check the water level every several months and top off with distilled water if necessary. You should also check that the circuit feeding the camper is alive and the cord is good every few months. If the house circuit is by itself and/or you have some rodent visits the charger may get interrupted. The battery will discharge in a few weeks if left unplugged due to the constant propane detector load and the battery will be damaged if left discharged and unattended. Nothing wrong with fully disconnecting the battery either, but you still have to maintain the charge over the winter by reconnecting and plugging in periodically or connecting an external charger periodically. Much easier to just leave the camper plugged in.

Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 7:56am

+1

I have done it both ways. However, I see an advantage in leaving the battery(s) installed. I view it as an emergency/backup residence, should a bad ice storm, power loss, etc. make my home difficult to inhabit.

With the batteries in place, I just need to turn on the propane to have a nice, warm refuge.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 8:05am
+1 for both replies. When we are home, my R-Pod stays plugged in. I also consider it my emergency shelter or as a guest house if we were to have visitors since we don't have a guest room currently.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 8:16am
Ditto!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 8:47am
Pilling on.. If you can keep your pod plugged in, that is always the best way to maintain them. The pod has a fair decent 3 stage charger/maintainer.
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 10:30am
The grandkids like to watch Mickey Mouse Clubhouse in the pod.  A bag of fresh popped popcorn in the microwave is good for at least an hour.
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 5:18pm
I use my 178 as a man cave in no camp season.  I plug into a 30 amp service at my building, have fresh water tank full, small space heater(s) on and if working on a project use it to warm up when necessary, otherwise drinks in fridge, popcorn in micro, football on TV, HAPPY.  Also a very convenient guest room for those quick visits from family.
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 9:14pm
Here I am, the odd man out.  We hibernate our 177 in our vacant horse barn on the back 20 (acres).  Hence I bring in my 2 group size 24  12 volt batteries and bring them in the garage for the winter.  I trickle charge them for 1 day in November and then again for 1 day in April.  The trickle charger gives a 2 amp charge.  Batteries are over 5 1/2 years old, when boondocking I take them to 33% soc before changing to the other battery.  Both batteries still in good condition.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
britboy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2016 at 10:28pm
I take the batteries off over winter and store them in my workshop.
They get charged every 4 weeks to ensure sg reading stays good at 1300, I can also keep a close eye on the electrolyte level in each cell and top up if necessary.
The winter temperatures in my location can range from 5 to 20F so I don't want to risk anything happening to the batteries.
 Post Reply Post Reply