R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFire Starting Kit: the old way!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
jato View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fire Starting Kit: the old way!
    Posted: 22 May 2017 at 7:18pm
I fondly recall a Wilderness Survival class I took while attending Michigan State and the professor said to always wear cotton t-shirts so that if you find yourself in a survival situation you always have "kindling" on you.  That kindling he showed us was something I will never forget.  Opening up his suit coat and removing his tie and unbuttoning his shirt he pulled up both his shirt and t-shirt to get a big gob of naval fuzz out of his belly button.  Pretty humorous.  He proceeded to light it on fire using a a piece of steel and flint.  I never thought to ask, "But what if you have an "outie" for a bellybutton?
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 7:09am
Originally posted by Happy Tripping

Ah, Tars, I fear that you are the type of person who,seeing a beautiful sunset, exclaims that it reminds him of a steak cooked rare. No poetry.

Hardly.  I just got back from a sunrise walk on the beach with my Jack Russell at the Outer Banks.  You don't get up early for that just for the physics of it.

Coming here from Nashville though, I came in my FJ Cruiser and R-Pod, not a Conestoga wagon pulled by oxen.

It's all a matter of the choices we want to make, and it's certainly fine with me if people want an authentic, made-from-scratch fire, rather than one out of a Bic.  (I just imagine the flint and steel people YouTubing fire starting videos on their I-Phones and then mostly giving up after a while....)  Even now with my R-Pod I still have a good bit of tent-camper in me, and feel like I've sold out to some extent, but we all make our choices and try to enjoy life.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 6:46am
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

If you want to buy a fire starter, buy a Bic! 
TT

Ah, Tars, I fear that you are the type of person who,seeing a beautiful sunset, exclaims that it reminds him of a steak cooked rare. No poetry. 

I agree that a cup of gasoline is much more effective in starting a campfire, but using flint and steel reconnects us with our ancestors and, like climbing stairs backwards with our eyes closed, it's challenging.

As Edmund Hillary, the second man to climb mount Everest famously said of his adventures, "Because it's there!"
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 5:39am
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

It's interesting knowing about cotton charcoal and Fritos and all that stuff, but if you're going to carry around something odd like that for emergencies, what I don't understand is why not just carry a Bic?!  I mean we're R-Pod owners; we carry around a kitchen, bathroom with a shower, a bedroom, and probably just about everything else that suits our convenience.  This is the 21st century, but not just here; almost anywhere people talk about camping tips and tricks, people seem fascinated with the technology of cavemen.  I find it amusing.Unless I wanna put on a show and maybe give my grandson a little bit of a science lesson, I have much easier ways to start a fire than to manufacture some cotton charcoal and put together the rest of the kit.I don't mean to be negative toward the original poster.  Not at all!  I think it's funny that outdoors stores offer so many flint & steel fire starting gizmos and that people who are probably never without their $700 smartphone are apparently so convinced these things are the solution to all of their fire starting problems.  If you want to buy a fire starter, buy a Bic!  [But what if you don't have your Bic or it's out of fuel???  Well, what if you don't have your flint and steel or cotton charcoal???]I might do the cotton charcoal thing next time I have an opportunity to impress the grand kid with how resourceful Grandpa is!  LOL TT

I've often thought the same. In my case, it has always been done as a "hands on" interactive activity - usually as part of "Pioneer Heritage Day" or "Archeology Day", etc. It demonstrates the science and the difficulty that our ancestors faced for even simple things. Being clever, they improved their "technology" - going from rubbing two sticks together, to the bow & drill, to flint & steel, etc.

However, me, myself, and I carry kitchen matches and a BIC! (Don't tell the attendees that, though!)
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 8:50pm
It's interesting knowing about cotton charcoal and Fritos and all that stuff, but if you're going to carry around something odd like that for emergencies, what I don't understand is why not just carry a Bic?!  I mean we're R-Pod owners; we carry around a kitchen, bathroom with a shower, a bedroom, and probably just about everything else that suits our convenience.  This is the 21st century, but not just here; almost anywhere people talk about camping tips and tricks, people seem fascinated with the technology of cavemen.  I find it amusing.

Unless I wanna put on a show and maybe give my grandson a little bit of a science lesson, I have much easier ways to start a fire than to manufacture some cotton charcoal and put together the rest of the kit.

I don't mean to be negative toward the original poster.  Not at all!  I think it's funny that outdoors stores offer so many flint & steel fire starting gizmos and that people who are probably never without their $700 smartphone are apparently so convinced these things are the solution to all of their fire starting problems.  If you want to buy a fire starter, buy a Bic!  [But what if you don't have your Bic or it's out of fuel???  Well, what if you don't have your flint and steel or cotton charcoal???]

I might do the cotton charcoal thing next time I have an opportunity to impress the grand kid with how resourceful Grandpa is!  LOL

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 12:01pm
LOL
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 11:22am
i like the Fritos idea from a pure survival aspect. If you need a fire, burn 'em. If you're hungry, eat 'em.

Two uses and a backup! Star
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 10:42am

Yep....Fritos work! Some folks save the lint from their clothes dryer and use that.

I have done primitive fire starting demonstrations at our State Parks many times. I'll say this - prior to the invention of matches, starting a fire was a lot of work!
Bugout View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 10:32am
I like fat wood. All natural. 
Jk Aiken South Carolina 2016 178 Toyota Tundra 2017 4.6
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 10:32am
I also like flint and steel, and many products are available on the internet, but it does require practice (ex.  http://www.primitivefire.com/Flint-and-Steel-Kits_c_10.html ). 

My wife one-upped me by demonstrating that some alcohol-based gel hand cleaner and a match will light anything burnable.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>