R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRPOD 180 Rear Bumper Modification - Event Date: 10 Nov 2016 - 01 Oct 2017

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: RPOD 180 Rear Bumper Modification
    Posted: 10 Nov 2016 at 9:56pm
Has anyone ever welded a 4X4 square bumper to their RPOD? I'm curious because the factory hitch isn't rated to hold anything but the spare or a couple of bicycles. I'd like to be able to weld square tubing to the frame so I can not only carry the spare on the bumper but add a cargo carrier for my generator.
SteveF View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2016 at 11:42pm
Great question, I'm curious as well. That is one feature the Jayco Hummingbird has that's nice.
Steve, Vicki and Bodie
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 8:52am
People have done similar things but I'm pretty sure it would void the warranty.  And the thing is, R-Pods are designed to be light-weight trailers.  It's one of their big selling points.  What that means is that the entire frame is made of just about as light-weight material as possible.  That's what you'd be attaching your 4x4 bumper to.  Your bumper might hold a generator but will the frame hold your bumper (and a generator)?

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Weekend Warrior View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 10:11am
I've attached a link to an RPOD video of a factory tour and if you look at section 2 of how the frames are built, you can clearly see that the frames are made of heavy duty carbon steel and NOT "light weight material". The frame has to be meet DOT standards in order to support the axles, walls, roof, A/C, luggage, furniture, bedding, holding tanks, and the rest of its 3000 pounds of weight. 

Heres the link. https://youtu.be/QXNYA73rCNE

I'm really not interested in the warranty because a new buyer only gets a 1 year factory warranty anyway. Also if your buying a used unit, you don't get a warranty.

The factory spare tire and rim weigh in at 40 pounds. The aluminum bumper carrier from Harbor Freight weighs 17 pounds and my Yamaha 2000i inverter generator weighs 49 pounds with 1 gallon of fuel. Total weight on the bumper would be around 106 pounds. 
The steel bumper I propose to weld to the heavy duty carbon steel trailer frame weighs 38 pounds and is 7 feet long and is a 4X4 square tube where a sewer hose can fit inside because its hollow.

Thus my total weight with bumper included will be 144 pounds.

Once I modify the rear bumper, my local welding shop fabricator guy tells me, it will support around 350 pounds with no issues. 

marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 8:15pm
 Anything is possible.

If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

Weekend Warrior View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 8:34pm
My hats off to you. That is impressive. Geezer, I wish I lived closer to you because I'd hire you to build me that cool rig setup.
Congrats, I'm jealous.
 Post Reply Post Reply