FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNeed Help! 179 or 180

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Help! 179 or 180
    Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 11:47am
Wnewman1,
I agree on the lack of storage in the 180 so much, that yesterday I ordered 40"" full extension drawer guides and built  his and hers drawers, 5 " deep 18" wide and 48" long. This is where most of the day to day clothes will go. I found interior matching shelf material at Home Depot for the face frame and drawer face material.  

SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

Weekend Warrior View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 11:57am
So cool. The ingenuity Americans come up with. No wonder we're the greatest country on planet earth.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by voisj

Wnewman1,
I agree on the lack of storage in the 180 so much, that yesterday I ordered 40"" full extension drawer guides and built  his and hers drawers, 5 " deep 18" wide and 48" long. This is where most of the day to day clothes will go. I found interior matching shelf material at Home Depot for the face frame and drawer face material. 

It looks good. However, how will you get to the hot water heater and water pump? Even with the drawers out, it looks like it will be a problem getting to them through the top. The water heater can be accessed through the panel under the bed, but the water pump may be more problematic.

I see you still have the original mattress. I replaced ours after the third trip with the R-Pod.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 1:44pm
I kind of went nuts with this mod, I took pictures and plan to post the how to after the drawers are built.(if it all works out) The whole thing is built with screws so it can all be put back to stock,and the top plywood comes off just like the original,so I can pull off the mattress and take off some screws and access it all.
I actually moved the pump 12" remounted with noise isolater pad ,and made the storage compartment up front deeper to hold my large easyup awning. And made the space just inside the outside access panel 6" taller inside so I can fit bins stacked up in there. The drawers will be able to pull out 36" (with the slide out out) and you can stand to one side or the other for access. The only issue my wife has is pillows next to the bottom of the window when the shades are down.
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 3:04pm
I'd like to see to where you relocated the water pump also. Enlarging the underneath storage would be nice. I mounted a 5x5 post inside my compartment for a ladder. This has proved to be very useful. However, it might not allow me to do any relocating of the pump. You can see this in my mods. The link is in my signature below.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Douglas J View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 5:12pm
I'd forget both. My wife and I, both in our 60's, and 1st timers, bought a 183G. It has the larger bathroom and the outside kitchen which we both believe is a huge plus. The only drawback is having to convert the table to the bed. I'd also suggest getting the R-Dome as it effectively doubles the usable space you have when the weather is good.

Douglas and Michele
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 7:53pm
But it (an R-Dome) is not so convenient when one is traveling and stays are overnights and not extended. We did that last year, and plan on doing it again. Our first long trip was in the winter. Our next one will be also. Outside cooking is not necessarily going to take place, so we appreciate the inside kitchen.
Ultimately, each one will decide what works best for his or her circumstances. In our case, it is the 179.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Wnewman1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 11:16pm
I like the mod. When you finish it please post your material list. Thanks for sharing.
Pat & Bill
Upstate New York
2017 R Pod 180
2016 Honda Pilot
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345