Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNeed Help! 179 or 180

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Help! 179 or 180
    Posted: 09 Nov 2016 at 2:24pm
I know this might not be the best forum to post in, but I need help and though this was close.

We are going to buy an R-Pod, but are torn between the 179 and 180. I realize it is a mater of taste, but I wanted to hear your experiences to help us decide.

We are a mid 50s couple that are soon going to be empty nesters. We are buying this for the two of us to use and not considering the kids.

For next couple years we will go to state forests (off-grid)fore weekend and then want to start travelling distances for 7 - 10 days. We will tend to stay at unimproved locations.

We have previously been tent campers but want to have a few more comforts. I am a great cook with my wife usually getting clean-up duties.

I do like the idea of a separate bathroom like the 180, but am torn because of the cooking area for the 179. We also like the more open look of the 180 and it appears that getting in and out of bed is slightly easier in the 180.

Soooooo, what are your experiences and suggestions.

Thanks,

Scott
ParPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2016 at 2:36pm
Ave8ter
Like you said....personal taste.  The 180 has an excellent bathroom but is not all that big counter wise.  The 179, which we have, is great with the rear kitchen area.  We really like it and find that unlike our previous experience with tent trailers this space is actually useful.  The 179 has excellent storage as well.  We are campground types so the shower wasn't really a consideration because like many on this forum we don't use it......so back to personal taste and what you feel you will get the most bang for your RV buck.

Best wishes for whatever you decide and welcome to the Pod family.
Bob&Margaret
2017 179
2016 Toyota 4Runner
2 sets of Golf Clubs
Ave8ter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2016 at 2:44pm
Seems like the 180/179 debate is a common one.

I am leaning towards the 180, but could be talked into the 179 really easy. I do like that big back window when cooking.
M&M View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2016 at 2:52pm
Ave8ter, My wife and I picked up our 179 in August. We love it. Much like you, we are soon to be empty nesters. We love the storage and the counter space. Good luck with whatever you choose! Happy Travels!
2017 179 "Big Sexy"
2012 Honda Pilot
blimey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2016 at 2:57pm
We just bought our 180. The spacious bathroom was the hook for us. My wife felt like she was standing in the closet in the wet baths. I have admit I really like it as well . We too are empty nesters and the 180 is perfect us. 
 We will rarely cook in the camper,preferring to grill out, so the kitchen wasn't a priority . 
 To each his own but we reeeeeeeeaaaaaalllly like our 180.
Ave8ter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2016 at 2:59pm
I realize we cannot go wrong either way.........
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2016 at 3:09pm
The kitchen in the 179 was the deciding point for us. We both like the space and the additional storage of the 179. As for getting into and out of bed, we at first had our heads toward the dinette. We have switched and now our heads are at the wardrobe end. It has two advantages. First is that it blocks some light and noise, especially that of the AC unit. Second, it is easier for me to climb over my wife's feet than it was over her hips.

We are 63 years old. We use the shower some, but will take advantage of a campground shower if available. As we age, having a seated shower isn't a bad thing. I may put a second shower head bracket in so that we can place the shower head high or low, depending on how we want to use it.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
densmorema View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2016 at 3:38pm
We have a 2015 179 and we like it but after a couple years now my wife would really like the dry bath, storage is pretty close when you figure the extra cabinets in the bath room but if you take alot of extra kitchen things like we do the 179 has more room.I think the bottom line is how mama wants a bathroom.Personally if the 180 would have been out when we bought ours we would have bought that one. Good luck.!
Mike and Cherie
Michigan
2015 R179 2016 silverado
mooremg1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2016 at 3:45pm
We went through the same dilemma and finally settled on the 179.  Although having more kitchen work space was a big factor it was the increased overall cabinet and drawer space that the 179 has over the 180 was the clincher.  The small size of the wet bath and the step into and out of it were concerns but I installed a grab handle just inside the door which helps steady things and sitting down for a shower works surprisingly well.  I personally think the table in the 179 is too big and heavy for our needs and is in the way when you're not using it so we're exploring our options with that.  The two person dinette in the 180 would fit nicely in place of the U shaped dinette so I may look at building something like that. 
Sue and Mike

2022 Grand Design 23LDE
2017 Ford Expedition Platinum
2017 r-pod 179 (for sale)
2018 Chevrolet Traverse LT (sold)
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2016 at 4:07pm
I've had our 180 for 6 months. The full bath was our deciding factor,  having a small room for personal space while using it makes my wife happy!
 First trip was 4 days way off grid (no water/no toilet)and a hot shower and changing room with elbow room was so nice.
 Second trip was state park with no showers and just a pit toilets. 180 was nice.
 Third trip, 9 nights, was full hookups every other night, and state parks with baths/ Showers on the other nights and she used the park showers and bathrooms.
Cooking full meals IS challenging in the 180 and the 179 wins hands down. We use the dinette table as additional prep space.
The floorplan of the 179 with rear kitchen and larger dinette makes it feel lots bigger with room to dance. The dinette slideout is bigger than the kitchen slideout in the 180.
In my opinion it comes down to;
 How you cook, indoors or out and how large are the meals.
 How,when and if you use a bathroom. 
 Where you camp or stay.  Parks w/showers?,Bathrooms?, off grid?
 how big ( Tall and wide) you are. 
We looked at a new blue 179 on our way home yesterday and  it feels so much more usable inside,
but she had to have the bath.....   Good Luck! (this didn't help at all,huh?)
rgds John

SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>