R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWD hitches - Event Date: 07 Nov 2016 - 01 Dec 2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: WD hitches
    Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 10:16pm
Hi all,
We are in the market for a 2017 180, and I'm hearing and seeing that very few TV's pulling pods are not using weight distribution hitches. I know each situation is different because of the tow vehicle and tongue weight etc., but I'm thinking I would definitely use a anti-sway bar but might hold off with the WD hitch and see how it goes. I don't want to be unsafe however I also don't want to go through the hassle of hooking and unhooking a WD hitch if I don't have to...old guy here. lol
 Any thoughts?  You input would be valuable and most appreciated.  My tow vehicle is a 2016 highlander XL V-6 awd with factory tow pkg.
Thanks,
Steve
Firefighter Steve (retired)
2017.5 Rpod 179 (Reepod)
2016 Highlander AWD w/tow pkg.
E2 wdh, prodigy RF brake controller.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 10:41pm
You might want to consider the Andersen No-Sway hitch. It is lighter. I have the Equal-i-zer 4-way stabilization hitch, and the hitch head is heavy. The bars are manageable, but do require space for storage also. While the Equal-i-zer performs well, I have read good things about the Andersen hitch. The fact that it would be a lot lighter and easier to connect would be a great plus. The additional advantage of a hitch with anti-sway over a sway bar is that backing can be done with the hitch without needing to get out and loosen or remove the sway bar. The Highlander is rated for 5,000 lbs. if I understand correctly. Even so, the equalization hitch may make it ride better than just a sway bar with no equalization.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Donnie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2016 at 6:22am
We were having trouble finding a WD hitch that had the right tongue weight (more is not better).  We pull with a F150 4x4.  With the gearing we have way more pulling capacity than is needed.  The dealer actually talked me out of the WD hitch and told me to pull our 180 home (1.5 hrs) before I decided to buy one.  He was right, with an adjustable height ball hitch and only 300 pounds of tongue weight it all sits level and pulls great at 55 - 65 mph.  At 70+ there is more of a head wind resistance that we feel, but not at 65.  Wind dynamics I guess...and a WD hitch will not fix that.  But I am thinking of installing a sway controller.  The trailer does not sway during normal driving, even passing, or being passed by 18 wheelers.  But the Boy Scout in me (Be Prepared) says I need something.  Also, the engineer in me wants to experiment and gather data to make an informed decision.  I wanted to test how much sway would be introduced if I were to swerve to miss something on the road.  So on our last trip I slowed down to 60 and jerked the steering wheel a bit as if trying to miss something on the highway.   The look on Tina's face stated two obvious facts: 1. I should have warned her what I was doing.  2. The back end of the trailer going in and out of her side mirror was outside of her comfort zone and needed something to control it.   Oh yea... 40 years of marriage to this lovely lady this December and I am still learning...
Donnie & Tina Hill
2016 R-Pod 180 "STAR POD" sold
2018 Ford F-150 STX
2013 Ford F-150 Eco-Boost
2020 R-Pod 192 “STAR POD 2”
2020 Coachmen Apex 265RBSS
Deep Run, NC
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2016 at 8:40am
Originally posted by Donnie

We were having trouble finding a WD hitch that had the right tongue weight (more is not better)....

You are in my "You may not need WDH, but you'll want it" group. The F150 will tow fine without, but the WDH will smooth out the porpoising and greatly improve the ride. Many members here with 1/2 ton PUs have begun without WD and come to the above conclusion. My preference is the 600/6000 E2 hitch from Fastway but there are others. They integrate WD and sway control in one simple unit. The standalone friction sway devices usually have to be disconnected when backing up, but the integrated types don't have to. The Andersen is gaining popularity but it is proving good on sway and not so good on WD. However this might be fine for your situation. Also, Andersen has been experiencing some issues with their friction cones. Follow us on http://www.livinlite-owners.com/posts/recent  and search for Andersen and WDH.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Donnie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2016 at 8:56am
I spoke to E2 and was cautioned at purchasing a 600 pound tongue weight hitch for a camper that only weighed 300 on the tongue. The dealer told me the same thing.  I agree the WD makes it a solid feel which is why I wanted it originally.  I have pulled heavier campers and would not have wanted to tow them without WD.   But the heavier rear suspension on the 4x4 feels solid with this lite camper.  If I could find the correctly sized hitch for less than $400 I would buy it just for the added insurance but the only correctly sized hitch I found was $900 so I opted out.  Does anyone know of a 300 lb hitch less than $500?
Donnie & Tina Hill
2018 Ford F-150 STX
Deep Run, NC
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2016 at 9:49am
We have the Equal-i-zer hitch. It is rated at 600 lb tongue weight and 6000 lb capacity. You could look for a 400/4000 lb hitch. Equal-i-zer makes one of those also. With the 180, I would go with the 600/6000 or equivalent.

Progress Manufacturing is the maker of both the Equal-i-zer hitch and the Fastway E2 hitch. You can find better prices for hitches on Amazon.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2016 at 10:06am
I have to raise the BS flag here. Hundreds or more owners use the 600/6000 class WDHs on Pods and similarly weighted trailers. True the larger 1000/10000 hitches are overkill, uncomfortable, and maybe stressing, but the 600/6000 class is very satisfactory for Pods. Remember that when you add two propane tanks, dual batteries, some water in the WH and three tanks, and all your personal stuff you will be pushing up toward the 3500# axle rating. Keeping at the 10-15% tongue weight rule you will well within the E2 range. If you want a truth check, load the camper for normal camping and weigh the tongue. You will be surprised. I don't know who you spoke to at the Progressive, but others have gotten very different advice from the same source. 
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2016 at 12:12pm
+1
When I tried weighing the tongue weight on my 179, admittedly with a method using a bathroom scale and boards which gives me a rough idea but is not as precise as I would like, I came up with a tongue weight of about 500 lbs. The 600/6000 is not out of line for that but the 400/4000 would not be good. One of these days, I will get a proper scale so I can better adjust how I load things to get the weight where I want it.

I have dual 6V batteries, one propane tank, a Stromberg Carlson Trailer Tray for a Generac iX2000 generator plus other items that we carry. I think that once you add everything you want to add, you may find that the lighter weight hitch might just be inadequate.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2016 at 12:29pm
We pull our 179 with a 2012 Highlander V6 2WD with tow package and after first using an EazLift WDH and separate sway bar, we switched to the Fastway E2, which replaced both. We're using the 600/6000 round bar model and love it! My wife hated setting up with the old WDH, but she's commented several times how easy the E2 is to set up.

Tongue weight is going to greatly depend on what you have on the tongue in the way of propane tanks and batteries. We're still using a single 20-lb tank, but we're running dual 6V golf cart batteries. Each of those batteries is heavier than the single battery that came with the Pod, so battery weight more than doubled with the switch.
Donnie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2016 at 2:52pm
Spoke with the folks at E2 at lunch today.  Very informative.  Charlie is correct on the 1000 hitch being overkill and E2 suggest that the 800 "could be" overkill as well.  But one thing I did learn from them that I never thought of, tongue weight on the hitch data sheet is not only the tongue weight itself, but any additional weight in the tow vehicle that is behind the rear axle.  That is why they say the 600/6000 hitch is the right size for the 300 + lb tongue weight of the pods.... very interesting.  The load leveling aspect not only needs to account for the trailer tongue weight, but also lifting the rear of the tow vehicle if it is weighed down.   I have been relieved of some ignorance... not all, but some! Wink 
Donnie & Tina Hill
2018 Ford F-150 STX
Deep Run, NC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>