FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhats needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whats needed
    Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 5:58pm
Hello everyone
I just bought a new 2017 rp172 on the nov 5th. This is my first non pop up trailer. I wont be going out till spring, and i'd like to get some opinions on what things might be a good idea to buy during the winter so i'll be ready for spring. First thing i know i need, sewer hose system for black water hookup. Whats a good type? i have the new 2017 style, with the 62 inch storage tube. What lenth will fit the tube? any suggestions would be appreciated. I have the pod dome with mine, the 172 didnt have the awning, but honestly, i didnt like the way it looks anyway. thanks all
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 6:41pm
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Bama Pod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 6:55pm
Get a 45 degree (or 90) clear elbow as well so can see when water runs clear.  All fit in storage tube.  Maybe consider a Sidewinder as well.  Don't forget a dedicated black tank flush hose (we'll use one of the "pocket" hoses) just in case flush station does not have a hose.
Bama Pod
Huntsville, AL

2017 Ford F250
2017 Airstream 26U
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 7:06pm
Either 2 or 4 wheel chocks.  A set (usually come in 10 pack) of plastic self-leveling pads.  Do you plan on boondocking a lot or usually camp where you have electricity?  Solar panel for your z-amp is a possibility or an extra battery.  If you plan on doing a lot off the grid and don't already have a battery look into 2 6 volt golf cart batteries.  This is what I plan on once my 2 12v group 24's bite the dust.  They have just completed year number 6 of faithful service, guess I will try one more year and see what happens.  Look at other posts on this forum, a lot of great advice and wisdom can be found.  Do a search on similar topics you should be able to pull up a lot of info you are looking for.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
birderdiane526 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 7:14pm
What's pocket hose?
Diane and Michael
2016 179 "PIP" (PODDING IN PARADISE)
2007 Toyota Tundra
BLOG:Podding in Paradise,
birderdiane526.blogspot.com
birderdiane526 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 7:15pm
What's a pocket hose?
Diane and Michael
2016 179 "PIP" (PODDING IN PARADISE)
2007 Toyota Tundra
BLOG:Podding in Paradise,
birderdiane526.blogspot.com
Pete Brayton View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 9:13pm
Pocket hose: 
http://www.target.com/p/as-seen-on-tv-pocket-hose-50ft/-/A-14770356?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=&adgroup=&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9028767&gclid=Cj0KEQjwqfvABRC6gJ3T_4mwspoBEiQAyoQPkcsr7qFVTk6o7K4U8mkNolfS4kFpYt9X-uvFRLzHtiMaArln8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds
2021 Rpod 196
2013 Ford 150 V8
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2016 at 5:28pm

This is a long post but since it took me two years to research and buy my RPOD 180 I accumulated significant information on accessories to buy.  So I am sharing my list.  Feel free to add to it..

RV Assessory Checklist (items you need to buy, should buy, or just some that are nice to have)

Extended warranty.  Do not buy third party.  Forest River sells a one year extended warranty for $150.00 The dealer makes no money off of it and may not tell you about it and try to sell you their version (which legally cannot be called a warranty – it is an extended service plan).  You must act quickly, as offer expires (one posting said you had to buy it within 30 days after getting RPOD).  Call Forest River directly if dealer acts ignorant.  Dealer service plans are generally expensive and most reviews are negative.  Some dealers include a free unlimited warranty.  This is not a scam but may not be a good deal.  You have to bring you RV back to dealer once a year for $150 inspection to keep warranty active.  And then it does not really warranty the RV (leaks, axle breaks) but rather the components (refrig, heater).  Only worth buying at a dealer that includes it if they do not charge more for the RV.  One dealer who was $3000 more than another said, “but the warranty is free and that’s worth the $3000 difference!”

Brake controller – Even if TV has towing package it probably lacks a break controller.  Tekumsa P2 is highly rated but more expensive.  The less expensive the unit the more it has to be in a fixed position (i.e. parallel to ground).  It comes with wires to splice into TV however most tow packages already have the female harness so only need to buy male harness for your vehicle (around $18) then no searching for the correct wires to splice into, and you can remove unit at will.  An internet search for your TV will let you know where to find the hitch.  On our Jeep Cherokee it was hidden away and we could not find it until we found a UTube video demonstration.

Weight distribution (WDH) and anti sway

-Equal-i-zer weight distribution hitch 10,000 lbs $408  includes 4 pt friction sway control.

-Blue OX is also highly rated.  It prevents sway instead of correcting it.  It is $600 and easier to connect.  Get 350 lb tongue weight version

-There are numerous cheaper options.  But you may not be able to back up and/or do not have anti sway, only weight distribution.  Most people say anti-sway is required but WDH is not necessary as larger tow vehicles can handle it well.

Other items

White water hose (for drinking water only) 25’ Camco $9.97

Garden water hose (for black water flush and all other washing)

Water filter with right angle

Water pressure regulator

Y connector to attach two hoses to single water line

Oxy-Kem holding tank treatment.  Turn off vent fan when going to the bathroom.  Always wait until black tank is 2/3 full before emptying

Sewer hose 2 x 10’ is better than single 15 foot (Valterra D04-0275 newer version comes with clear elbow $50.50).  Reported to have less leaks than Camco model

Sewer elbow to connect to ground hole (comes with Valterra above)

Sewer elbow clear to connect to RV to see when water is clean Valterra T1026  $11.50 (also comes with Valterra above)

Sewer hose holder to keep hose slanted to ground Camco 43051 20’ $22.94

Disposable gloves for cleaning out holding tanks (or strong rubber gloves to re-use and save the environment)

NCVT Fluke volt alert (looks like a penlight)– standing on the ground touch the door frame or steps if there is voltage leak it will light up preventing a shock.  Do it when first setting up camp and connecting electric

Tire leveling plastic with chock for under tires

Plastic pads for stabilizers (Do not use wood)

Lock for trailer hitch to prevent someone from stealing your RV when left alone unhooked

Leveling guides. One type goes on hitch and turns to tell you how many inches to raise RV. Other types stick to side walls.

Propane tank gauge.  May need to get second tank but try it first with one tank.

Bug and rodent screens – Spiders in furnace, refrigerator and hot water heater can do damage.  Need to get screens for all vents.  Camco 42154 for Dometic refrigerator Pack of 6 vents $15.88.  Camco 42141 furnace vent screen 2 Pack $10.86. Camco 42145 Large screen for water heater $16.00

Lawn mat (Do not use plastic grass – stays wet) use porous material made for RVing

Dust broom with pan

Lanterns and flashlight

Spare fuses

BBQ Grill –  can get propane now that 2017.5 RV has quick connector

Propane hose extension 10 foot Camco $21.26 (not the standard size 3/8”)

Sticky mats to keep things on the counter

Wood dowels to keep windows closed and locked – so they do not open during drives

Expandable drapery rods to put in refrigerator to hold food in place

Oxygenics  BodySpa RV shower kit – white (Model ETL26781) Amazon $31.13.  Sends water at higher pressure thus using less water for a shower.  Great product reviews, really works. Made for RV

GPS  While a car GPS is handy it is not designed for RV use.  For one, you will drive slower and the estimated time will be off by as much as a third.  Second, you may want to avoid steep grades, low bridges and normal GPS does not have a setting for that.  There are a few freestanding GPS units that are made for RV’s. Unfortunately if you already own a GPS they do not sell maps to convert to RV use.  However there is an APP designed for smartphones that is specific to RV’s .  It is called CoPilot.  Expensive at $59.99 and has many negative reviews, so buyer beware.

Replace mattress

-11” NuForm Quilted pillow top memory foam short queen 60 x 74 (RPOD  is 74”) RV size $258 price raised to $279 at Overstock.  Regular queen is 60 x 80

Replace 6 gal water heater with tankless unlimited hot water

-Truma Aqua Go  basic model is $1099.  Could always add it later, if running out of hot water is an issue.  It is said that running water heater on both propane and electric at the same heats up water fast. So probably will be fine with existing 6 gal heater, especially if you can take short showers.  Some dealers however will give you trade in value (up to $300) for turning in a new unused water heater.  So check with you dealer as it may be cheaper to do it at time of delivery before using the standard water heater.  Do not buy any other brand, they are half the price but are all terrible!!!

Add surge protection to RV

-Progressive industries EMS-PT30C Portable RV surge protector 30 AMP.  Comes with metal hook to be able to lock it onto the electric box so that it is not stolen.  $235.00.  This is better than just surge protection since it will also shut off current if it goes too low or is wired wrong.  Even better, get the hard wired version (HW30C same price) so no worries about getting stolen.  May need to have dealer install as it involves cutting into electric lines.  Also has a low hum but to eliminate it people report using rubber spacers when attaching it to RV floor.

Improve WiFi

Although many RV parks have free WiFi, the signal is usually spotty at best.  Therefore you can add a WiFi extender to get a stronger signal.  The WiFi Ranger is recommended by some top RV YouTubers but does not have good overall reviews.  There are cheaper options (as low as $60) that work well and do not require installation on roof of RPOD

Add wind deflector on roof of tow vehicle.  Very controversial, at best it saves 10% or around 1 mpg

-Aeroplus by Purpleline $282 attaches to cross bar of roof rack (need to buy for $99 more)

-Aeroshield straps to door frame $366.  No roof rack required.   Does make ride more stable if wind is a problem bouncing car around

Washing Machine – yes they make washing machines that can fit into RPOD!  If you really hate campground laundromats consider doing your own laundry.  These have separate tub for spinning dry and almost completely dry clothes.  Just hang outside for final dry.  Most campgrounds will not allow clotheslines to be strung across to trees but will allow clothes dryer racks that attach to RV or stand alone.

Panda washing machine 28 lbs.  Connects to sink or shower has almost 8 lb capacity (5 shirts) $150.00 23x14x26.  There are two other brands which are $80-85 which look similar and also got good reviews.  So do not know why paying twice the price for Panda is better

If you get a smell in RV when towing with windows open you may consider replacing the roof vent caps with Siphon 360 roof vents.  Will need to unscrew old one, cut the vent pipe to 5/8, screw on the new  one and seal with DiCor lap sealant.  There is a new model (389381) that goes over the old pipe and uses only caulk as it is not replacing the old vent cap.  Also cheaper $25 vs $35

The old fan was Fantastic  and needed a vent cover ($65).  It was just replaced it with a different company.  See if there is a vent cover.  This will allow you to travel with the fan cover open even if it is raining. 

Winter cover – Cover for 179 fits the 180 as the doors are in the same place.  Classic Assessories PolyPro 3 Model 4 cover (part 80-197-17100-00) Amazon $151.  They also make a PermaPro model for $191.  Do not know what the difference is.

OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2016 at 9:27pm
ok, a few things i had, a few things i just ordered, and between now and spring i'll chip away at getting a few more things. thanks everyone.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
 Post Reply Post Reply