Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy we Camp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why we Camp
    Posted: 01 Nov 2016 at 9:38pm
As my wife and I read posts here as well as on Facebook, we are amazed at how much stuff people 'have to have' to go camping.  We started years ago with a pup tent and graduated to a pop up and then culminating to a 177 in March 2011.  We like simple and normally boondock hence we special ordered our 177 w/o A/C, w/o convection/microwave oven, and w/o entertainment center.  We enjoy the out of doors and for us the simplicity of cooking over an open fire or charcoal does our souls good.  We love to hike in God's great outdoors and enjoy His creation.  Today we wonder why some even go camping, if that is what you call it when they pull in next to you, set down their electric stabilizers, then you hear the satellite dish whir into motion, as well as the generator running, but the people rarely come out, except at dinner time when they get into their vehicle and go into town to dine out at a restaurant.  I know the saying 'different folks, different strokes."  But you all have seen the humongous 5th wheels or million dollar motor coaches that tow a toy hauler behind for all their stuff they need to camp.  Kind of humorous, and yet kind of sad. 

Thank you fellow podders for the friendships we have made with many of you at the ERU, like the one in Traverse City, MI this last summer.  For others who happen to cross paths with us as we camp, thank you as well !  Enjoy this special time of the year when the leaves are spectacular with their golds, reds, crimsons, purples, oranges, and everything in between, even though now they are coming off in droves as the winds and rain pull them off the trees.  There are still days left, even in Northern Michigan to camp before the snow makes it debut in a permanent way until spring.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2016 at 10:54pm
I can understand the desire for simplicity. When I was young and went camping with my parents, we started with tents and went to trailer, truck camper, then I left home and my parents moved on up to various motor homes until they could no longer do so.

Up in Michigan, you have the option of no AC. Here in NC or other southern states, no AC would be miserable in any but late fall through early spring. When the temperatures push toward or over 100F, the inside of the pod could be pushing 125 to 150F.

Campgrounds do not like us to carry our own wood so that pests are not spread. Purchasing small amounts of wood at exorbitant prices so that we can have a campfire is not something I find desirable. I do like to cook outdoors, but for that, I use a propane grill/stove (Coleman Camp Grill/Stove+ for which I also purchased the griddle). I was able to gather some fallen wood and even cut up some larger logs so I could build a fire and cook some potato and vegetable packets to have with the steak I grilled on the grill/stove. Given the look of the grate on the fire pit, I would not have gotten my steak anywhere near it.

Last week we were at the Holly Point campground at Falls Lake. We had a great time enjoying the outdoors. My wife does not go out as much as I do, so she does appreciate the amenities of our R-Pod 179. I had considered a motor home like my parents had, but when it came down to it, I did not want a house on wheels. Our R-Pod is great for the two of us.

In spite if the differences in our camping styles, there is one thing that we both enjoy. That is, to be out and see the beauty of God's creation. Given how beautiful this wreckage of a world is post Noah, we can only speculate on the beauty of it when it was new and everything was "very good."

Hope to see you around someday.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2016 at 10:22am
I always figured the people in the big rigs are possibly not campers at all. They have a vacation home or condo, that they can take to different places.

Years ago, a buddy, who owns a house on a private lake, asked us "why an RV?", "why not a vacation home or condo?" And I pointed out that if I got tired of the lake, the mountains, the desert, the neighbors, I could pack up and go elsewhere with an RV...
He seemed to suddenly understand..

We have used the pod as everything from an off grid base camp for Mt Biking and hiking, to a full on resort type experience.. Depending on location and amenities and mood.. That's why we love it..

Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2016 at 4:27pm
We are winding down from a 3 month ,10,000 mile trip. We started Aug. 10 from North Carolina and traveled to Glacier National Park. Since then, we have traveled south through Idaho, Arizona, New Mexico, Utah and Texas . We have hiked, biked, canoed, rafted, bird watched, climbed mountains, watched sunrises and sunsets. We have been from Canada to the Gulf of Mexico , from 12,000 feet to the bottom of the Grand Canyon to sea level. We are now headed back to NC.

Camping has been in RV parks, state parks,national parks, BLM campgrounds, US FIsh and Wildlife areas, boondocking, Walmart, truck stops and places along the road.  We have seen amazing sights, had wonderful experiences, met other kindred souls .

We camp because we love adventure, we love to travel and we love to spend time together in the wilderness. Our R Pod has allowed us to travel for extended periods with the necessities and comforts that make our travels fun, safe and affordable. We hope to be able to keep doing these types of trips for many years to come.

I would encourage everyone to use their R Pod as a method to reconnect with their family and the simple pleasures of the great outdoors in our beautiful country.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2016 at 8:57pm
Thanks Mark and Vann, great posts.

God's pod
'11 model 177
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2016 at 9:44pm
Stephen, A/C is something we may add in the future to our 177.  Last year as we were on our way to RMNP (Colorado) we did an overnight at Walmart (Labor Day, 2015) as there were no campsites available in that part of Iowa.  Long story short, only cooled down to 88 degrees on our thermometer, didn't sleep that night, way too hot.  Then again, since electricity was not to be gotten in the parking lot, we would have been hot anyway although I could have purchased a generator, and then purchased a . . . . .LOL
God's pod
'11 model 177
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2016 at 9:33am
This summer, we had a couple of overnights in places where the temperatures were warm and we had no power. In a case like that, we have a fan that can run on batteries or plug into a 12V outlet that we use in conjunction with the Fan-Tastic Fan to help keep us a little cooler.

One of the nights we did that, we had the window at the foot of the bed open. It rained during the night and we woke up to wet linens. Later, I checked and found that the mattress also had gotten wet. It was not too bad, and we were able to get it dried off before any significant damage occurred.  It would be nice if the windows opened in such a way as to allow air circulation but keep water out.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2016 at 11:57am
The main driver for our 179 purchase was the hassle of motels when attending RC helicopter events. At the end of the day, I had to load up the stuff in my vehicle, drive to the motel, and lug the expensive stuff up to the room to keep it from getting stolen. Then I had to do the reverse in the morning.

In addition, my wife sometimes goes with me and she often suffers from insomnia at night, so she'd need to get a nap sometime during the day. That usually meant her driving to the motel and leaving me stranded at the field.

Other than the RC equipment, we don't take a lot of luxury items with us. We do use the A/C quite a bit, driven by a couple of 2000W generators in parallel. We're mostly just happy with having a cool place to relax, rehydrate, and recharge after hours in the hot Texas sun.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2016 at 8:38pm
I never did find a good solution to keep rain out of the pod windows.  I considered the type of smoked-plastic rain guard that allow you to keep truck/car windows open an inch.  But mounted sideways, rain coming from one direction would still come in.

Campers can be used to camp, tour, and live in full-time.  Camping usually means spending most of your time outdoors.  Touring usually means spending most of your time out and about and using the camper more like a portable hotel room.  You might spend the evening around a campfire if you have the time, or you may come home and go right to bed.  Full-timing means it is your home.  When I'm at home I might spend an evening in the backyard, or an evening in front of the television, or out somewhere for dinner.  When we retire we plan on semi-full-timing, and I'm sure there will be many nights we won't be sitting outside - and some that we will.  So that might explain many of the big rigs that pull in, stab down and then you never see them.  That said, I've seen big rigs pull in at the beach with kids and I never see them all weekend, either....
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2016 at 8:24pm
One way around the rain in the window issue is to use the escape window. I made a rod about 16inches long that props the whole window unit open like an awning window. Pop up both red handles and insert the rod between the window and frame to hold it open. Laura made a custom screen that is velcroed to the interior. It works great for increased ventilation and rain protection.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>