Forum Home Forum Home > General Camping > Camp Grounds
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMyrtle Beach Campgrounds

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Myrtle Beach Campgrounds
    Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 3:37pm
i grew up and live in Myrtle Beach and want to share my favorite campgrounds with folks that might not know the area. Our needs are a little different than most people that visit. We don't really require being next to the beach, having pools/lazy rivers, etc; since we live here year round and can go to the beach anytime. Same thing with tourist attractions and restaurants. Don't care for them and want to spend as much time as we can at our campsite. We also like big spacious sites and prefer to back up to woods rather than have someone behind us.  
1. Huntington Beach State Park.  This is hands down the best park for nature in our area. Miles of quiet oceanfront beach, marsh/ inlet behind the park, nature trails and a bike path that is part of the east coast greenway. You can walk out to the end of the jetties and fish or watch the boats come in. Also Has very large camp sites, alligator pond, and Atalaya Castle. The nature center recently burned but they are rebuilding. The park is close enough to ride your bike to the Murrells Inlet Marsh walk and all the great restaurants on the marsh. And Brookgreen Gardens is just across the street. Cons-- it costs about twice as much as Myrtle beach state park and it is hard to book a reservation. 
2. Myrtle Beach Travel Park. We like this one ONLY if we can get one of the lakefront sites. The last one we had was about 60 feet across and had a great view over the lake.  All of the sites not in the wooded area have a 10x12 wood hut on the site. This campground is oceanfront and has all the things a family would want, indoor/outdoor pools, kid activities, full hook up with cable, wifi that works, and a big general store. Cons-- it's a mega campground, so a lot of the sites are real close, hard to get a lakefront site because they don't really cost anyomore than the standard sites, a little pricey in the summer. 
3. Myrtle Beach State Park. The outer loop has large wooded lots that back up to the woods. This campground has lots of oceanfront beach access, a few small nature trails and a fishing pier. It is also really convenient to myrtle Beach attractions. The Market Commons entertainment district is right across the street, and it is  only a couple of miles from the  Boardwalk and a lot of the tourist attractions. The rates are extremely reasonable. We have stayed for as little as $24 per night. Cons-- under flight path to airport. The Park is busy and on some days, if you leave the park in your vehicle, it can take 30 to 45 minutes to get back in. Wifi barely works. There are copperheads, raccoons and possums that frequent the area, especially if you back up to the woods. I like it, but that might be a deal breaker for some. 
4. Cypress  Camping Resort. This is not on the beach, but it is on the intracoastal waterway. I took my boat down and anchored it just offshore. Other campers had jet skis, kayaks or paddle boards. There is not a day dock, but it does have a small beach area And a pier type structure to hang out on. The owner is very nice and accommodating. Cons-- There are no attractions nearby and no hiking trails or places to ride your bike. No day dock for boat. 
5. Willowtree RV resort in Longs SC . I have not actually camped here, but so many people have recommended, and I have heard so many good things that I have to put it on my list. It is centered around a big lake and in the summer they have a big inflatable jungle gym structure out in the middle. The sites look spacious and well kept. I also hear the people that run it are great. Cons-- 30 minutes or so from the Beach or any attractions. 

If you have a big family and want a mega campground with all the amenities; oceanfront, full hookup, entertainment, worship services, etc, I would recommend Myrtle beach Travel Park, Ocean Lakes, Lakwood, Apache or Pirateland. 

Tim and Melina
2016 182G
2015 GMC Canyon crew cab 4x4 SLT = main Tv
2017 Toyota Highlander Hybrid-TV
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 7:27pm
What about Pirates Bay.. or whatever it's called.. seemed small, quaint and homey...

LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply