R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFinally about to buy my rpod!!! - Event Date: 15 Oct 2016 - 10 Nov 2016

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Neserk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Finally about to buy my rpod!!!
    Posted: 16 Oct 2016 at 3:15pm
Laurie, check with the dealer.  I just went to a semi-local dealer and the msrp is not the price.  For the Hood River Edition the 178 was priced at $15,995.   (This is for the green one.) 
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2016 at 2:18pm
I'm still waiting for my 172 to be delivered, thought id have it by now. i guess at this point, i just want it to be in by spring. I ordered the old style (green) and was upgraded to the blue model due to no stock. I really liked the upgrades, so i'm excited.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 11:44pm
From what I understand, the axle pitch on the newer ones does not provide quite the same lift as the risers on the older pitched axle. At least one person has added risers to the newer pitch axle in order to get more ground clearance. You should be able to find it in the forum with a search. There is also a thread with 2017 model year changes that should help.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Laurie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 11:31pm
Also, since I'll be camping off grid on very rough NM terrain, the axle or riser height important, which is why I'm trying to figure out if the early 2017 units are built on the next, higher axle.

Laurie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 11:29pm

Thank you for your prompt reply!  I do know that the 2015 was used pretty heavily, even as a primary residence, for a couple of months -- a retired couple-- air force vet -- seemed very meticulous in his care of the unit.  Still, I like the idea of having a year of dealer access to deal with any issues.  I'm using the rpod primarily boondocking, partially on land I own in NM without electricity, and primarily in winter, so want to minimize problems -- and I'll still have a learning curve!

Laurie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 11:28pm
Stephen,
Thank you for your prompt reply!  I do know that the 2015 was used pretty heavily, even as a primary residence, for a couple of months -- a retired couple-- air force vet -- seemed very meticulous in his care of the unit.  Still, I like the idea of having a year of dealer access to deal with any issues.  I'm using the rpod primarily boondocking, partially on land I own in NM without electricity, and primarily in winter, so want to minimize problems -- and I'll still have a learning curve!

StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 11:21pm
A lot depends on what is important to you. Are you satisfied with the seller of the used 178--that there are no problems? If so, then it is a way to save some money.

I can't say for sure since I have not seen them, but from what I have read, all of the 2017 models come with the newer, higher axle. You would have to see what other differences beside color are between the early and later 2017 models. I got an early 2016 179 and was disappointed when I read a brochure that had features for the 2016 models that mine did not have. I have since made some modifications that make mine better than what I would have gotten anyway.

When you say the used one is in "very good condition," was it something that was purchased and used a few times and the owner decided that it was not for him/her? Was it used extensively? Were any modifications made that would either improve it or compromise its integrity? Does the frame show significant rust? do all components and appliances work properly? Some of these are the same as what you would want to know about a brand new one on the pre-delivery walk-through also. Also, check the age of the tires (DOT age code on the side-wall of the tires). If they are over 5 years old, they will likely need replacing soon, so count that as an additional cost on the used trailer.

You are the one that will have to live with your decision. Is the newest 2017 worth the extra $6k? Is the early 2017 worth the extra $4k?
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Laurie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 10:40pm
Hello and help!!! I am trying to decide whether to buy a new or used rpod hood river edition 178, and whether to get an early year 2017 (old color) or later 2017 with new color.
I don't care about the color, but do love the fact that the later 2017 models have a new, higher axle for better clearances.  I'm trying to figure out if ALL 2017 models (including green ones), are built on the new, higher axle.  Does anyone know answer?  Also the used rpod is 2015, for $14k, and the early 2017 model is $18,000, and newest 2017 around $20,000.  The used one is apparently in very good condition.
Thoughts?  Thank you!!!

Post Reply Post Reply