R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > Mods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLow Point Drain repair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Low Point Drain repair
    Posted: 07 Oct 2016 at 1:43pm
I am doing the winterization on my 2016 178 and have run into a snag. At the tail end of the winterizaton process, I was tightening the low point drain plug and it snapped off. I removed the hose clamp, and have attempted to pull out the end of the drain plug  that is still inside of the blue hose coming from the trailer. It (the broken end of the drain plug) will spin inside the blue hose, but I cannot get it to come out.
I really dont want to cut any of the blue drain hose off, as there isnt much hanging down beneath the trailer. Any suggestions? 
Thanks in advance!

Marty Diehl
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2016 at 10:11pm
Try grabbing the pipe as high as you can with one vise-grip pliers and the fitting with another one.  Twist and pull.

You know there are two low point drains?  One for the hot and one for the cold lines.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
mtd66 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2016 at 10:36am
Tars
Thanks for the reply. I have tried the twist and pull method you describe, but the inner 'stuck' piece is already loose (it spins inside the blue line) but will not pull out. I havent seen anything quite like this before. Yes, I know there are two low point drains, the hot side (red) is OK. 
The hose clamp is off, but as stated, its spins inside the blue hose, but wont pull out. What type of plastic pipe is this? What do think about heateing with the wifes blow dryer, and then pulling?
I wish Forest River could have installed something a bit more user-friendly...
Marty

2016 178 Hood river edition
TV 2002 4RNR V6
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2016 at 10:45am
Originally posted by mtd66

Tars
Thanks for the reply. I have tried the twist and pull method you describe, but the inner 'stuck' piece is already loose (it spins inside the blue line) but will not pull out. I havent seen anything quite like this before. Yes, I know there are two low point drains, the hot side (red) is OK. 
The hose clamp is off, but as stated, its spins inside the blue hose, but wont pull out. What type of plastic pipe is this? What do think about heateing with the wifes blow dryer, and then pulling?
I wish Forest River could have installed something a bit more user-friendly...
Marty

2016 178 Hood river edition
TV 2002 4RNR V6

Well.. in all honesty.. in 6 years, you are the first to ever report breaking a low point drain..
mtd66 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2016 at 10:47am
Somebody has to lead the way!!!LOL
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2016 at 10:52am
OK.. can you put the hose clamp back on, locking the broken piece in place, then either thread in a bolt, or super glue in a rod of wood or something, let dry, remove clamp, pull with new "handle"?
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2016 at 3:50pm
The hose is flexible, right? Can you use a pair of pliers to squeeze the stuck part until it breaks, then remove the pieces?
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2016 at 9:00pm
Threading a carriage bolt, if you can find one big enough, into the fitting is a great idea.  Whatever you try, it might help to use a hair dryer, heat gun, or even a cup of the hottest water possible, to warm up and soften the hose.  Or you might be able to drill it out with the right size bit.  Use a bit probably 1/8th inch smaller than you need.  That will leave a thin remnant of the fitting that should be easy to pull out with pliers.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Alaskaflyer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 10:53am
Perhaps more than you want to deal with, but I would replace the length of hose from the t fitting just inside the floor located inside the kickplate panel under the sink. Carefully use a razor blade or exacto knife to cutout the caulking around the drain hose. While you're at it, replace the clamp t-fitting under there with a proper Pex fitting. Two compression sides to one bayonet side. If your dinette is in the slide out, have it extended for an easier reach.

If you don't want to replace the whole fitting you can simply release the clamp from the top, replace the hose with any length of hose you want from the local RV repair tool counter, clamp it again at the t-fitting, and re-caulk. Then put a better quality Pex style drain valve on the 'business' end so this won't happen again.

Life is all about choices and I've found some of Forest River's choices to be peculiar. I plan on replacing these drains with a better quality fitting in the spring.
mtd66 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 5:17pm
Thanks to all who replied about my low point drain repair. My nephew (who can do anything) happened to come by while I was trying to get the broken stub out of the inside of the pex line. He got a heat gun, heated the outside of the pex line and pulled the broken stub out with his fingers! I would post a picture of what the broken stub looked liked, but I never did figure out how to do pictures. The broken stub, was plastic, with several 'rings' on the outside diameter. I am guessing that when Forest River put it together, they heated the pex line just like my nephew did, and pushed the drain plug into the pex line. The 'rings' created a seal as the pex line shrunk when cooling, I guess. Their hose clamp was probably just insurance.
I will replace the broken lower point drain with a brass fitting and hose clamp from out local hardware store. 

Thanks again!

Marty Diehl
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>