R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTemporary winterization....?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Temporary winterization....?
    Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 10:57am

On another forum I describe a solution to extend the camping season into transitional seasons and deal with the short term freezes such as overnight dips into the 20s followed by above freezing days. It utilizes the onboard pump and water heater to circulate hot water through the FW piping and back to the FW tank. The pump runs periodically for short intervals and is controlled by a programmable timer for totally autonomous operation. It can be used when the camper is stationary or being towed and, if adequate propane and 12V power is available, can be left unattended for days at a time. Space heating, either propane or electric, can be added for protection of the toilet,  faucets, and P-traps. The referenced post is for a different model, but the basic concepts are applicable to any camper. Each application is highly camper specific and requires detailed knowledge of the plumbing paths within the camper. An added benefit is the circulator can minimize wasted FW and gray water storage waiting for hot water to reach a faucet or shower. Great when camping without hookups. For those interested please follow the thread at: http://livinlite-owners.com/thread/1477/fresh-water-anti-freezeup-system

Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 10:18am
Interesting concept. We are anticipating a winter trip. This is something I will be looking closely at to see if it will work for us. Thank you for the detailed information to which you provided the link.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
dr2428 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 8:15am
Hello,
     I like this forum, I have never seen a forum with so much activity, almost like a paid support service. I have a question related to this topic so I did not want to create another thread. We plan to take our 179 out this Friday but expect a possible mile freeze tomorrow night, not enough to freeze the streets but certainly enough to kill flowers, and freeze the small amount of water in my 179's water lines. I don't want to add antifreeze as I am taking it out Friday but want to simply blow the lines clear, is there any problem doing so without bypassing the pump and water heater? I am hoping for a quick operation without having to flip the bed and dismantle my way to the valves.  I think the "blowout" could clear the pump but not sure if it would cause damage.
     Appreciate any ideas for a quick fix.
Thanks
Dan
2017 RPod 179
2018 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 8:56am
Originally posted by dr2428

Hello,
     I like this forum, I have never seen a forum with so much activity, almost like a paid support service. I have a question related to this topic so I did not want to create another thread. We plan to take our 179 out this Friday but expect a possible mile freeze tomorrow night, not enough to freeze the streets but certainly enough to kill flowers, and freeze the small amount of water in my 179's water lines. I don't want to add antifreeze as I am taking it out Friday but want to simply blow the lines clear, is there any problem doing so without bypassing the pump and water heater? I am hoping for a quick operation without having to flip the bed and dismantle my way to the valves.  I think the "blowout" could clear the pump but not sure if it would cause damage.
     Appreciate any ideas for a quick fix.
Thanks
Dan

Blowing out does nothing for the pump and it's prefilter. They are on the "other side" of a one way valve.

A mild freeze is generally no big issue. The WH is insulated, and holds 6 gallons. Takes a while for that to freeze. Can you heat the pod, is it somewhere it can be plugged in, even to a 15A outlet? Just put a small ceramic heater in it. That's what most of use in the early and late season if we have hookups anyways.
dr2428 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 9:48am
Furpod,
     Thanks for the fast reply, I should have figured the pump was isolated. Good to know I won't damage the pump blowing the system out. I will do a quick blow out for peace of mind, and can connect to a 15A supply at home to run a heater inside. I'll also pull the anode rod from the water heater and drain it to be safe. I don't expect  a hard freeze but am willing to go to great lengths to prevent a possible freeze, we've had far too much fun since getting it in late August to end our season early.
Thank you
2017 RPod 179
2018 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4
Taospod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 11:05am
  All of these suggestions for quick winterization make sense, but being a visual person, it would help very much to see a schematic of the entire R-pod water supply and waste water system.  Does such a thing exist?  Thanks.
MDPaddlersPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 12:48pm
I have a question for the group. I am in a similar situation as I have a couple more camping trips planned through November. In Maryland we only have a night or two that barely touch the freezing mark in the time I am planning. At what point do you really need to winterize? I can't see a problem with the temp dipping at or slightly below freezing during the night. Thoughts please.
MDPaddlersPod
2017 RPod 179
2002 Silverado1500
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by dr2428

Furpod,
     Thanks for the fast reply, I should have figured the pump was isolated. Good to know I won't damage the pump blowing the system out. I will do a quick blow out for peace of mind, and can connect to a 15A supply at home to run a heater inside. I'll also pull the anode rod from the water heater and drain it to be safe. I don't expect  a hard freeze but am willing to go to great lengths to prevent a possible freeze, we've had far too much fun since getting it in late August to end our season early.
Thank you

We pretty much live for early and late season camping. All the summer camping is mostly rallies with friends and podders.
Blue Highways View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 9:39pm
I'm no colder conditions camping expert yet, but from what I've gathered from our community, when the temperatures "flirt" with 32 degrees, it's not a hard line in the sand. What will protect you is that you are in the trailer at night keeping the interior relatively warm all night either by propane ( including cooking & heating water too ) plus body heat. That radiates downward to benefit the underbelly tanks. We had some cold nights up in the northern Yukon Territories and I just temporarily disconnected a city water hook up over the night hours, and had pulled open the drawers beneath the sink and left a few cabinet doors cocked open (including bathroom door ajar) until morning to benefit systems via the heater thermostat.

I've heard that others run a small ceramic heater (with shore power) placed strategically facing plumbing as well as setting the thermostat. Somebody else mentioned placing a ceramic heater carefully (away from combustibles) somewhere under their rig for a couple nights. Where you do risk some beginning partial "icing up" is upper to mid 20s WITHOUT any significant daily mid day warming and also taking no other precautions I believe.

I would interested in seeing any body else's thoughts in our pod community on the risks (or over concerns) regarding what I call the "flirting with 32" issue while sneaking in some more podding in colder fall conditions.... whether this involved the R-pod or any other RV you've owned & operated previously in colder conditions....

We all have our own personal levels of "risk vs. rewards" I guess. I love crisp fall mornings and less completion for my favorite places but don't want to put in jeapardy the Pod internals either....
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 10:13am
Last fall, late Nov, we were out for 7 days. (pretty much had a 360 site CG to ourselves) We had several nights below freezing, mid 20's, and 50's for daytime highs. Electric only. filled the FW holding tank when we arrived, ran our little cube ceramic to keep the pod warm. No issues with any freezing. The WH was on elec. We did use the CG shower facilities after day 5, as the grey was getting pretty full. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>