R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Towing steep inclines, brake fade, proper braking
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTowing steep inclines, brake fade, proper braking

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Towing steep inclines, brake fade, proper braking
    Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by Rustler

Google Earth doesn't deal with tunnels correctly. Maybe they will get the problem fixed in the future. In the meantime we'll just ignore grades shown in tunnels. 

Russ,

You broke the code on Eisenhower tunnel. I see that now. However, try the Lee Vining, CA to Yosemite National Park route. This traverses Tioga Pass to the park entrance. GE shows the max slope as 25%. There is a little wiggle in the plot that does show 25%, but I've climbed that road and the max incline in that area is 9%. No tunnels, but there may be some fill. I guess you take Google Earth with a grain of salt, or a big chunk of rock Wink, but it is fun to play with it. Thanks for the tip.

Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Rustler View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by CharlieM

Originally posted by Rustler

Google Earth doesn't deal with tunnels correctly. Maybe they will get the problem fixed in the future. In the meantime we'll just ignore grades shown in tunnels. 

Russ,

You broke the code on Eisenhower tunnel. I see that now. However, try the Lee Vining, CA to Yosemite National Park route. This traverses Tioga Pass to the park entrance. GE shows the max slope as 25%. There is a little wiggle in the plot that does show 25%, but I've climbed that road and the max incline in that area is 9%. No tunnels, but there may be some fill. I guess you take Google Earth with a grain of salt, or a big chunk of rock Wink, but it is fun to play with it. Thanks for the tip.

Yeah, Google Earth elevation profile is a work in progress. I suspect the very short sections of excessive grade (the little wiggles) are due to errors in the ground elevation at different points along the route. Yes, maybe it has to do with the road cuts and fills. When I run a route from Coos Bay, Oregon to Mount Shasta City, California, it doesn't show any obviously erroneous grades. So the results will of course vary with the particulars. But it is kinda fun to play with.

I've noticed another strange thing. Sometimes the close up view of a bridge shows the roadway surface of the bridge laying on the river-bed below. Yes, a work in progress.
Russ
2009 Toyota RAV4
V6 w/ tow package
2016 Rpod 171 HRE
sean p View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2016 at 6:20am
I'm on that stretch of 70 in the rockies all the time.the down grades are only 5-7%. but still steep and needeing some braking.
2016 179pod--BETTY
2010 nissan frontier
Sean and Doug
Butchie the morkie
touring the west
ronahue View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2016 at 4:43pm
While it will not show a route Allstays app will provide excellent information on grades.

Ron & Sharon
2015 R-Pod 179
2022 Nissan Frontier

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message but a billion electrons were really agitated
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12