R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPushing The Limits On Tow Vehicles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pushing The Limits On Tow Vehicles
    Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 6:11pm
Yup, my K1500 is a multiuse vehicle. I use the truck around property to do a lot of things beside towing the Pod. Because it is a crew cab, it offers all the amenities of a SUV, seats 6 adults comfortably and has bed space to carry a payload. We have a SUV also, with the 3.5 liter, good vehicle, but not as well as a full size pick-up.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by ToolmanJohn

Do you require more cargo carrying capacity than your Q7 offers?  I can practically guarantee that it tows better than any standard 1/2 ton P/U. The 3.0 TDI is an exceptional engine.
I would probably disagree with that. our F-150 is a pretty sweet ride with or without a trailer.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by Q7-retired

Originally posted by NWRPodder

Hi folks. I wanted to provide an update to this thread for all of you that weighed in with advice. It was greatly appreciated! 

I appreciate your thought process and the January post by TexMan.  My Audi TDI can pull 6600#, gets 32 mpg alone and 13-17 mpg towing OurPod.  Even though it has more capacity than the numbers require, I'm considering a half-ton pickup truck.  I wish there was a 4.0 liter diesel available!

Do you require more cargo carrying capacity than your Q7 offers?  I can practically guarantee that it tows better than any standard 1/2 ton P/U. The 3.0 TDI is an exceptional engine.

I also shared the dream of the Volkswagen Auto Group V8 4.0 TDI brought to North America, but that dream is gone now that the dieselgate debacle has happened. That is one sweet engine/SUV combo.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
Q7-retired View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 7:35am

Hi folks. I wanted to provide an update to this thread for all of you that weighed in with advice. It was greatly appreciated! 

I appreciate your thought process and the January post by TexMan.  My Audi TDI can pull 6600#, gets 32 mpg alone and 13-17 mpg towing OurPod.  Even though it has more capacity than the numbers require, I'm considering a half-ton pickup truck.  I wish there was a 4.0 liter diesel available!
Best regards, Jim
2015-RP178
TV 2015 Audi Q7 TDI and 2017 Ford F150
At home in "Our Pod"
4runninpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 10:31am
We tow our 179 with a 09 4runner trail edition, it is lifted on 33's so we have even more resistance. It does just fine, I drop it into 4 basically everywhere but flat ground.  You just have to be smart about it and not expect to be doing 55-60 up hills, just think of it like your driving a tractor trailer.  Like other people have said, definitely install a tranny cooler for that extra protection.  
Bugout View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 9:55am
I love my v8
Jk Aiken South Carolina 2016 178 Toyota Tundra 2017 4.6
NWRPodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 7:56pm

First off I have no issues saying I am wrong when that is really the case. Here is one of them. I will try to keep this to the short version.

After mulling over what to buy, the V8 4Runner or something else, I had the opportunity this spring to borrow a family member's F150 to tow the Rpod for a trip. I did expect it to be better but saying night and day difference does not understate it. At least for me when comparing to my V6 4.0L 4Runner. After a second trip with the same truck I was convinced that although buying a V8 4Runner (my preference for many reasons) would be better than I have now, the overall experience would not be as great as I really want. 

Living in the city neither my wife or I have the desire to drive a full size dual cab pickup truck. It's not practical in anyway. That said the Ford Expedition has the same engine and is both big enough for a better towing experience and "small" enough to still drive in the city. We found a nice low mileage one recently and scooped it up. 

Fast forward to this last weekend and we took out the Expedition for it's first Rpod towing trip. Towed without an issue, easily pulling up mountain passes. We are happy with this decision! Now just need to figure out how to carry the bikes. :)

Thanks again for putting up with my question here. I am sure some of you responding were having thoughts "Again! Will this topic ever end?". As a new RV tower I simply needed to experience the mediocre and the good to know it myself. 

Cheers and happy RV'ing to all of you!

2016 R178
2007 Ford Expedition V8 5.4L
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 2:09pm
+1 to Mjlrod, I figure with the RPod, my wife and I, 80 lb bulldog and all I carry in bed of truck, just in case and coolers, the Pod, 3500-4000 is a good estimate. I'm at 80% or close to it. The tool for estimating is a great help, plus real user comments.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 6:49pm

Marwayne, you bring up good points about the dry weight. That said I truly don’t think I am much over 3k lbs with what you mention. There is little stored in our Rpod and water/waste tanks are always empty. I would estimate everything in the pod weighed together that we travel with would be 200 to 250 lbs but I could be wrong. Never weighed it which would be interesting to do.

Birdediane526, thanks for the info on the towing thread. I will check that out. I assume you 04 4Runner is the v6 model. I have seen more than a handful comments about a tranny cooler. I will install one if I keep my current rig which seems unlikely long term.

Tars Tarkas, I assume even if you are running in 4th gear on a 5 spd that it’s better/easier than running in 4th on a 4spd but someone let me know if I am way off here.

All good info, thanks!

NWRpodder? you are aware that the people in your vehicle count as tow weight right? a full tank of gas adds several hundred pounds of tow weight. It's easy to underestimate the load. I was unaware till a short time ago that cargo counts. I used to think as long as the weight wasnt in the trailer, it doesnt count.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 10:32am
just 2 cents to the topic that will never be settled:  

As i read through all the post in this forum, the general message that i glean is that V6 mid size TVs are the norm for Rpods.  I think that is because the Rpod represents itself as a lightweight trailer and the thinking is my midsize will tow the Rpod.  From this discussion, that is true, the V6 midsize will tow it.  The other theme i see in this discussion is the need to modify these midsize TVs with transmission coolers, modification of driving by downshifting, getting comfortable with higher RPMs while towing, anti-sway bars, etc. etc.  I have owned V6 midsize vehicles: Ford Ranger 4.0 ltr, Toyota FJ, Ford Explorer.  Yes, they will tow.  Yes they get marginally better mpg than a full-size.  Not enough mpg gain IMO.  They are lighter, smaller and less power and will do the job but require a bit of finesse to keep temps in check and require screaming rpms on climbs and more braking or downshifting on declines and have less room for stuff.  If you are the pod owner that only takes short trips and does not encounter challenging travel conditions (grades, wind, off-road, etc) then these mid-sizes will serve you well, as long as you are patient and understand the what they have to offer. 

What puzzles me about this, is why the full size V8s vehicles are less considered? I have a Tundra 5.7l 4x4 and have owned many 1/2 ton vehicles.  F150, chevy, sequoia, expedition, and this is my 3rd Tundra. I have towed small trailers and the pod with only the 1/2 ton class.  The price difference IMO is negligible when looking at total cost of ownership including residual values. (just my judgement from 20yrs as a CPA)

There are many situations where even these full sized TVs are tested a bit. Headwinds, climbs, declines, rough pavement and off road.  The two main conditions are Headwinds and climbs.  And, honestly, the headwind is the most challenging.  You cant overcome it comfortably and the gusts causes swerves and turns the minutes to days.  Rough pavement can cause any trailer to literally bounce and depend on the TV to realign its path.  Heavier TV better here or lower speeds or both. Off Road to that favorite spot is usually not paved, rough, narrow, and subject to rain and snow making it worse.  Nothing worse than being stuck boon docking and trying to find help. 

Another problem is the sidewind.  Especially side-wind on Rvs in general.  You see them turned over all the time in my part of the world.  Sidewind also causes fishtailing and accidents.  The heavier full-size TV has a definite advantage here. The engineers here could tell you what the force of a 50+mph gust to the broad side of an Rpod is.  It is enough to make the butt eat the seat, i know that.  

My Tundra, even with a 10k tow rating, works hard in the headwind and climb situations.  I remember a strong headwind of 25+mph that i could only maintain 60 mph comfortably without running at 4k+ rpms for hours.  I don't think 4k rpm is acceptable for hours.  Climbs challenge every TV, just normal, but more horsepower and more torque win here as well. 

Declines and braking capacity is important as well.  The mid-sized are lighter and require more attention here resulting in shorter brake life and more transmission stress.

To wrap up, Both Full and Mid vehicles will get you there.  I think the folks that are new to towing, need to consider more that just towing capacity when looking for a TV.  Consider you plans for the POD and are you a weekend 100 mile warrior or heading from California to Texas to Florida to Alaska, boondocking, mountain passes, sloppy muddy roads, sand, etc.  Tho more miles that you travel, the more situations that you will encounter that challenge your choice of equipment and your resulting pleasure or displeasure.  The Rpod is definitely a light weight RV.  But, it still weighs aprox. 3k #s.  And it has a taller profile than your TV and a broad side profile as well.  Smaller TVs are better when not towing.  But when Towing, the Full size is much more comfortable.  By comfortable i mean the following:  driver comfort for surprise road conditions, for braking, climbing, interior room, and more space for stuff.  I prefer them as a day to day driving vehicle as well. So the decision is easy for me. 
Texman  
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>